Hollow front axle?

Guest Jaap

I think the stifness of the frontaxle is important in the total forks stifness. And because i've leanred mechnics, I know that the bigger the diameter , the stiffer it gets. When I can make the bike better with so little effort, I sure do. I don't have to make parts for it, the sizes are the same I have now with the WP forks, there I have a hollow axle too. The PVM wheel will give me work, it's made for a Honda.

I suppose a corsa rossa axle will fit to, but the finish is not so nice, and I don't know how long guzzi will do with getting me one:-). There's no dealer nearby with a corsa rossa, so if you meassure it, I tell you if it fits. I suppose the corsa rossa has on one side of the wheel, a bearing with a bigger inner diameter, there is a spacer in, comming 25mm out of it, and adjusting the inside.

Messure that before mounting, because they are the reason from wheel bearing failiurs

The scura axle is to thin. A shame in such good forks.

I really like that combined speedo/tach. Who makes that?

As paul already told this came form Moto-Spezial.

This is a special one aslo including my ignition. This part replace my old 1.6 M ignition.

I won a lot of place on the bike because last year i put the 16M under the rear seat, it was visible so i search a way to remove it & this tach/sppedo was the only solution i found.

But in order to be mounted this ignition need a complete new wireloop.

This a "self learning" ignition which use one lamba by cylinder in order to do the mixture best as possible.

Still not really try it.

I m actually working hard on the bike, hope it will ride for the next week.

Some new shots will be available this WE.

• 2 weeks later...

Well surprise.... surprise..... Paolo sent out the forks Monday evening, and they were sitting in Venice, Italy Tuesday morning when I checked FedEx online. But at 10am this morning, my doorbell rings and there is the FedEx guy handing me the forks in San Jose, CA B)

I have never ever received any package that quickly, much less from *Italy*.... odd, but I'm not complaining :D

The last think I ordered from Italy took 3 months to receive :blink:

So, they're off to Lindeman Engineering today for new correct springs and a general "going over". I should in theory be able to start finding the correct axle, bushings, etc... in a week when LE is done.

al

Used aluminum stock, bent and tapped for mounting. I put heli-coils in to make sure they are tight.

Heya John,

Thanks again for the photos of your bracket. Now that I've got my forks in-hand, I'm going to have to see if my stock front fender will indeed fit though, as the tab on my forks are a bit different than yours.

Going from the photo, yours has a "block" that is relatively close to the fork end-cap where a fender would attach, while the forks I received have a tab in about the same location, but has a single hole and is a bit higher/longer. So I'll have to see if my stock fender clears this tab enough to make an adapter like you have done.

....crossing my fingers ^_^

I'm assuming that the Ohlins you have on your bike were not Guzzi specific or OEM?? The ones in the photo below are what Paul, Jaap, and I have got.

BTW, Paul/Jaap... also for clarification, did we ever *confirm* that these are the same forks as come on the 2003 Rosso Corsa/Cafe Sport? Just checking as I'm asking TLM about OEM parts(axle, bearing, spacers) , and want to make sure they will fit.

al

ohlins.jpg

Al,

after all the measurments i've done , you still go for stock?

I just ordered a 999 frontaxle, see if the 24 hour service from ducati works. :-)

You only need one spacer custom made, that's the one between the bearings. The one on the outside, you allready have on you bike.

Yesterday, I finaly got my PVM wheel and RSV mudgard.

pvm1a.jpg

Al,

after all the measurments i've done , you still go for stock?

I just ordered a 999 frontaxle, see if the 24  hour service from ducati works. :-)

You only need one spacer custom made, that's the one between the bearings. The one on the outside, you allready have on you bike.

Yesterday, I finaly got my PVM wheel and RSV mudgard.

:lol:

...check your PMs Paul ;)

But no, I'm just checking all my options = $$ I dropped a note to TLM for the parts for the Rosso just to check if they're available and how much it would cost ^_^

But, I suspect I will do exactly what you have done, and have an email to Victor at FBF for pricing on the 999 axle, nut, and washer. And my local suspension shop said they can make spacers with no problem, and cheap ~$20

Thanks for the clarification, and I appreciate the info in the PMs, but I wonder if I could get you to summarize it in a reply to this post so that Jaap and everyone could benefit? I'm afraid that all the bits & pieces in PMs and several posts make it hard to assemble.

So here's what I understand that one needs, and please correct me if I am wrong:

1) Ducati 999 front spindle/axle: ducati part number 819.1.043.1A

2) Ducati 999 spindle nut: 748.1.014.1A

3) Ducati 999 washer: 8000.70119

Question: What are the dimensions of the Ducati 999 axle/spindle, esp the diameter?

4) One 104mm long spacer for the space between the bearings in the wheel

Question: Related to the question above on the diameter of the Ducati axle, what is the inside diameter of this spacer required to be?

5) New bearings? This is one question I am particularly unclear on, although once I get my parts I'm sure it will all become quite clear. But never-the-less, with the Ducati axle, will I need *one or two* new bearings? And if so, what will be the dimensions? The bearing you cited in your PM had W=7mm, ID = 40mm, OD = 52mm I don't think the Ducati axle is 40mm, so this is where I am confused.

Thanks for all the help Paul! :notworthy:

al

1) Ducati 999 front spindle/axle: ducati part number 819.1.043.1A

2) Ducati 999 spindle nut: 748.1.014.1A

3) Ducati 999 washer: 8000.70119

Ducati 999 axle/spindle,is 25mm outside diameter.

4) One 104mm long spacer for the space between the bearings in the wheel

Inside 25mm /outside +/-30mm

5) New bearings? This is one question I am particularly unclear on, although once I get my parts I'm sure it will all become quite clear. But never-the-less, with the Ducati axle, will I need *one or two* new bearings?

You need one new, but only if you manage to get the rest of without toutching that one, so better buy two: 52x25x15mm == 6205 - 2rsi

OK guys, I am in the process of installing an Aprilia Mille Showa fork on my 2000 V11 Sport. I am also using a 25mm. front axle, which I picked up on ebay that came from a Ducati 748 for the sum of $30 dollars. I have made the fork shims that will take up the 1mm. difference in diameter. I bought clip-ons made by Two Brothers Racing at the Aprilia site and they have a rise of 3 inches and will clamp to the new forks under the triple clamps. Here is a picture of the parts so far. Oh yeah, if any one has a scura carbon fiber fender that wants to sell, let me know. I also have to have the front wheel machined to accept larger bearing to accomadate the larger front axle. I do not want buy another front wheel from Dymag! :not:

This will be a fairly cheep way to upgrade your Guzzi. I have seen the Aprilia forks sell anywhere from $180 to $500 dollars on ebay.

Mike

Really like this PVM wheels :food: But really hard for the money :doh:

It could be great for my Daytona :bier:

I steel hope than one day Paul could make a rear for me like on his & huite's bike.

Also searching a Ohlins fork with radial brakes for it.

On my superbike fork i have try the ducati axle but it was a little too short for this kind fork so this is now a "hand made" axle.

Also hand made spacers to fit with this fork.

For the bearings i not have change anything

By the way Paul : i 'll be at Dynotec shop during week 41 (6-10 october)

I 'll tell you more when i know which days.

With all this info I can hardly wait to start mounting the fork, but still to much work at the time and I can't "waste" my energy on the bike (yet). But I want to thank you already for doing so much work. That will make things much easier for a "bolt on" type of wrencher like me...