Griso 8V

antonio carroccio

Did anybody notice that the rev-counter is the same as the standard Griso?

This kind of suggests the new engine doesn't rev much higher than the 1100...

Weren't there some rumors about the 8v having max HP at 9500 RPMs?

Frio

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not only rumors, I have the presspaper from guzzi at the introduction last year, the original text: But you know italians, a bit enthousiastic. And the engine was nearly a prototype then.

GRISO 8 V:

The power of the eagle

The Griso 8 V is the outcome of some of the most challenging work carried out by Moto Guzzi for its new generation machines. With its graceful lines, the Griso 8 V has opened the way to a new, absolute sense of “sports” that is created by the power and technology of the innovative engine. Although designed along traditional lines, the new engine is a celebration of the logic behind the 90 degree V concept. It features a single overhead camshaft that operates the four valves on each cylinder with noiseless timing chains. This is quite an evolution to the already tuned 1200 cc engine that now puts out 110 CV at 9,500 rpm with maximum torque of 11 kgm.

The power delivery is silky smooth and on the open road the bike’s true sports character shines along with the countless technical innovations and the new sense of style. Although the exclusive exhaust system with twin coiled pipes has been seen before, it now truly reflects the greater power of these machines.

From the looks point of view, the Griso 8 V has undergone customising that includes particular stylistic details like the new saddle and streamlined side panels as well as equipment levels of the highest possible level. Even the most discerning of palates will appreciate the front end with its Brembo P4/34 radial caliper brakes that act on wave floating discs measuring Ø 320mm. They will also be able to count on Showa upside-down forks that have had 43 layers of carbon nitride treatment.

Sitting astride the bike, the rider can immediately sense the sports riding position that the new setup between handlebars, saddle and footpegs provides. These are all new components and were specially designed to make the rider feel completely in control. The two-seater saddle creates a wonderful backwards view and there seems to be a tail like on a single seater. In fact there is in fact more than enough room for a passenger to sit in great comfort.

Powerful, elegant and exclusive, the Griso 8V will beyond doubt become a cult item among true enthusiasts of elite motorbikes.

MOTO GUZZI.IT

Maximum power output: Over 80.8 kW (110 CV) at 7,500 rpm

Max Torque: Over 108 Nm at 6,400 rpm

griso_act01.jpg

MAIN CHARACTERISTICS

DESIGN

− 8V logo and new Moon White colour scheme.

− New handlebars in black anodised aluminium.

− New sports style saddle.

− New streamlined bodywork.

− Racing footpegs.

− “Quattrovalvole” full black powertrain.

ENGINE

− 1200 V 90° “Quattrovalvole” twin

− Single overhead cam per head with hydraulically operated valves.

− Single plate clutch

− New exhaust system with two-into-one coiled pipes.

− New block with integrated front bearings.

− New valves with 5 mm stems

− New 55% stiffer crankshaft.

− New 3 segment Asso forged pistons.

− New conical valve springs

− Independent self-contained oil cooled heads

− Pistons cooled by oil jets.

− New oil cooler pump with overpressure valve.

− New coaxial oil lubrication pump with cooling pump.

− Gear driven timing shaft and oil pump.

− New type of con rod bearings.

− Silent “Morse” camshaft chains.

− Hydraulic chain tensioners and rollers.

− New 50 mm throttle body.

− New Marelli IWP 189 injectors.

− Noise reducing “floating” rocker covers.

− “Reactive” shaft drive transmission

− 6-speed gearbox.

− Euro 3

FRAME

− High tensile steel tubular twin cradle

− Upside down 43 mm pre-load adjustable hydraulic front forks with mounting for radial calipers.

− Pre-load and rebound adjustable shock absorber

− Rear suspension with single progressive swingarm adjustment

− Front brakes with 320 mm perforated wave discs and 4 (opposed) piston calipers.

− Rear 282 mm disc with floating caliper fitted with 2 parallel pistons

− Rear tyre 180/55/17

− Front tyre 120/70/17

108 horsepower and 79 lb/ft torque...

Wow !!!

And "hydraulically operated valves"... Interesting !!!

:bike:

Huh! I'm sitting in an airport lounge and haven't had a chanc to read all the bumph yet The rockers still have adjusters? How come 'Hydraulic'? and if it's going to rev to 9 and 1/2 I'd wonder if hydraulic lifters would be wise? But what would I know.

As I suspected it looks like morese chains from the back of the dummy shaft up to the cams in head. A nice addaptation of the previous design by Carcano. A nice link with tradition.

Hopefully I'll be able to bully JSG into giving me one of the first ones in Oz :grin:

Pete

Sod it, it's almost impossible to see. can we get a pic of the cutaway at the *back* ie, the side towards the centreline of the bike, of the head? It looks to me as if the 'Hydraulic' adjusters may in fact be operating on the faces on the cam ends of the rocker spindles. Presumably if this is the case the spindles themselves will be eccentric or eccentrics will move the spindles? That would make for very quiet running and would prevent the problems of collapsed lifters at higher RPM. If that's the way they've done it it's very clever. thinking well outside the square! I dips me lid. Bigtime. It's infinitely better than the crappy Boxhead system and will be virtually maintenance free!

Pete

On anima guzzista I found a picture of the cam, nothing hydraulic here:

immagine011ht6.jpg

No, looks like I was mistaken. Looking at the heads from the side it appears that the cam followers don't run above the cam but are offset to one side of its centreline. This isn't something I've seen before but some of the pilot/aircraft types over on WG seem familiar with it. I don't know why ou'd want to do such a thing, it would make the profiling much harder to calculate I would of thought but I'm not an engineer.

Those rocker castings are pretty substantial! are the rocker carriers two part? Otherwise how do you get them *in* as it were?

Pete