Griso 8V

antonio carroccio

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the specs ring true and it is coming to the US I will be very interested in getting one. Maybe even sell the Ballabio. I hope they offer it in Europe first and then the following year inthe States. That way they can work out the bugs and niggles of the new motor. I love the current 100 Griso but if the new 8V is more powerewul and sportier then I will get in line for one. I'm glad they decided on a black bar and sportier pegs on the 8V Griso. Get rid of the chrome bar, mirrors, and turn signal stems on the current one and it wiould look better. And add a sport muffler.

No, looks like I was mistaken. Looking at the heads from the side it appears that the cam followers don't run above the cam but are offset to one side of its centreline. This isn't something I've seen before but some of the pilot/aircraft types over on WG seem familiar with it. I don't know why ou'd want to do such a thing, it would make the profiling much harder to calculate I would of thought but I'm not an engineer.

Those rocker castings are pretty substantial! are the rocker carriers two part? Otherwise how do you get them *in* as it were?

Pete

From looking at the pic, it appears to me that the lower rocker support is integral to the head casting, & then there is a cover plate that's bolted on to make the top half. But appearances can be deceiving, so... :huh2:

:luigi:

:nerd:

:mg:

EDIT: just went back & looked at the pic again. It's clear I haven't the slightest idea what I'm talking about, so just ignore my post & I promise to keep my mouth shut for awhile until more data is available! :grin:

Todd,

I noticed those slip-ons on your site. Very nice, with the tastefully done red stripe.

As much as I'm enjoying all the excitement over the new engine, I may be in the market for one of those slow, old-fashioned 4V Grisos that will likely be sold.

Exciting times for MG.

You mean like those pictured below? The right side slip-on should (finally!) start shipping next month. Left side shipping now.

Right side slip-on:

GrisoRS-Meg.jpg

GrisoRS-Meg2.jpg

GrisoRS-Meg3.jpg

Left side slip-on:

ProtoMeg-Griso.jpg

Gorgeous!

:thumbsup:

When are you coming out w/ duallies for the V11s & those of us who don't care for the lop-sided look on the Grisos?

;)

From another site, and a dealer who is at the meeting in Scottsdale:

It doesn't appear as though the 8v Griso will be available in the USA for model year 2008.

No mention of Bellagio, either...

RacerX,

any chance of a high pipe on the stock side so you are able to see both the beautiful swingarm and the wheel?

If the 8V is available in the spring, that's fine by me. Let the bugs get worked out before it hits our shores. Besides, it will give me time to save my money.

:P:

I'm quite excited about the new motor, and I wonder whether it will appear in any other new models at the Milan bike show?

A question for those with technical minds- does this motor have the potential to go into a higher state of tune for a production bike?

For example, could Guzzi use it in a sportyish bike with more power and torque? Maybe something to rival the BMW 1200S? I'm sure that in reality the current 8V is grunty enough but I'm greedy.

I like the looks of the Griso but the ergos don't suit me, so I hope it does end up in some alternative models.

Guy :helmet:

Guest goffredo

Thanks for the pix, Paul !!!

And if you are interested in how it handles....

The Griso 8v is quite simply the best handling and more powerful Guzzi ever built. Period. Period. I mean period.

The engine is smooth and no, you won't find yourself thinking about having some more power; there is all the power you need to make it raise its front in third gear if you want...

Regarding look and finish, it is IMHO one of the most beatuful Guzzi of all time.

Now, I find myself thinking that my Breva 850 has already 12000km so maybe.... But on the other hand I have to consider that is only four months old... :P

G.

PS: and the price is correct too: 12900 Euro in Italy.

I'm quite excited about the new motor, and I wonder whether it will appear in any other new models at the Milan bike show?

A question for those with technical minds- does this motor have the potential to go into a higher state of tune for a production bike?

For example, could Guzzi use it in a sportyish bike with more power and torque? Maybe something to rival the BMW 1200S? I'm sure that in reality the current 8V is grunty enough but I'm greedy.

I like the looks of the Griso but the ergos don't suit me, so I hope it does end up in some alternative models.

Guy :helmet:

Guy,

I share you're excitement, and I'm waiting for something more versatile (in all weathers) to replace my V11 and BMW GS.

There is no way on god's green earth that Piaggio, having spent the kind of money that modern engine development, production and certification demands (and this IS Guzzi's first recent engine that can be reasonably described as modern-ish against external benchmarks, though air cooling is fast becoming an anachronism) that they will not try and recover that investment in every sector they can. By the way I like anachronisms :P

So expect it to appear in Stelvio (potential big market, including me!!), "reasonably fast sporty bike like a BMW1200S", poss covered by re-engined 1200 Sport, possibly not, Norge to make it truly competitive with 1200RT etc etc... Hmm when I said every sector, it seems I meant every sector currently earning BMW big bucks :D (plus the cross over sporty/power cruisery thing that Bee-em are too ugly to cash in on ;) )

Big question for me is timescales on some of this (was stelvio in recent spy shots a mule with 2v engine, or going live with the old engine for example), and how many bugs the thing has from day one, though I suspect Piaggio have more "core competence" in that area than Guzz ever did! (except for the CARC bearing issue ahem)

Just my pennorth :2c:

Dave

And if you are interested in how it handles....

The Griso 8v is quite simply the best handling and more powerful Guzzi ever built. Period. Period. I mean period.

The engine is smooth and no, you won't find yourself thinking about having some more power; there is all the power you need to make it raise its front in third gear if you want...

Regarding look and finish, it is IMHO one of the most beatuful Guzzi of all time.

:2c: I'll say it again...MG should slap a quarter or half fairing on new Griso, maybe tweak the bodywork and ergos a bit, and call it a V12 LeMans. They could finally release the MGS Serie with the 8v motor for those who want a street bike with track handling and ergos. IMO the MGS is the coolest Guzzi ever, but it wouldn't cut it as an every day bike for me. A faired greaser would.

While I don't doubt that the Griso handles well, it does have a 61"+ wheelbase and a weight of 500lbs+...

Two thing that HAVE to hurt it in the "best ever" contest...

Guest goffredo

While I don't doubt that the Griso handles well, it does have a 61"+ wheelbase and a weight of 500lbs+...

Two thing that HAVE to hurt it in the "best ever" contest...

Sorry, I meant among standard production and excluding sport models.

When I ride the 850 Le mans on track I have the feeling that THAT is the best handling Guzzi ever!

But sill, today, I'd go for the Griso for everyday use. And believe me, I have a V11 Sport and the Griso handles so much better, nevermind the wheelbase: you flick it through the bends as you like it, as it was a light 250 cc...

G.