UK V11 Meeting 2008?

Guzzirider

Hi Guy, I would go if i am at home, but cant commit till i get dates, but it sounds good, so put me down as a "hopefully"

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be plenty of room for camping if you want to make a last minute decision!

Please let me know a few days prior if you are definitely coming so I can keep track of numbers.

I'm working up in Northumberland for the next 3 months so will explore a few possible ride out routes while I am up there.

This event seemed a very long way away when it was first planned but I think its going to creep up fast now!

Cheers

Guy

Guest boabcomo
I should be coming dependant on work etc will be camping as no room at the inn

I thought you were a man of leisure.

PS Yogi has another sprog now. A wee boy... - For sale, V7 Sport - baby forces sale?

Hi again,

sitting here in p... cold Denmark with heavy rainshowers and what have you, brrr! Can't wait till Spring so I can get the bike out again.

Anyways, just talked a Danish mate of mine, Steen, who rides a Ducati ST3 (you know, one of those funny Bologna bikes). He wouldn't mind joining us at the rally but I better ask Mr. Organizer AKA Guy whether we want infidels to join us at the holy grail up in Scotland?

Steen is housetrained, has his own garage and is bloody fine chap. We rode to Assen last year to watch the Supebike and Supersport races and we had a blast. He smokes, drinks and farts so he should fit in with the reminder of the motley crew.... :D

Cheers

Søren

Hi again,

sitting here in p... cold Denmark with heavy rainshowers and what have you, brrr! Can't wait till Spring so I can get the bike out again.

Anyways, just talked a Danish mate of mine, Steen, who rides a Ducati ST3 (you know, one of those funny Bologna bikes). He wouldn't mind joining us at the rally but I better ask Mr. Organizer AKA Guy whether we want infidels to join us at the holy grail up in Scotland?

Steen is housetrained, has his own garage and is bloody fine chap. We rode to Assen last year to watch the Supebike and Supersport races and we had a blast. He smokes, drinks and farts so he should fit in with the reminder of the motley crew.... :D

Cheers

Søren

No worries at all mate- I may be on a funny Bologna bike myself if my V11 does not start! I'm sure Steen will also want to see the land where you guys did all your raping and pillaging just over a thousand years ago!

Mike- I'm working up as far as Alnwick although I spend most of my time in Newcastle. May get along to a local club meeting if I get time.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to think of a nice route for a ride out when we are in Ken Bridge. Plenty of choice- I was thinking maybe of riding through the borders across to Northumberland, maybe to Holy Island? Or possible keeping to Dumfries and Galloway, and maybe lunching on the coast somewhere.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully appreciated, especially from those with better local knowledge- Euan, Gyles?

Cheers

Guy :helmet:

Edit- Holy Island is about 176 miles away even by the most direct route so that's probably too far for a return trip!

Been trying to think of a nice route for a ride out when we are in Ken Bridge. Plenty of choice- I was thinking maybe of riding through the borders across to Northumberland, maybe to Holy Island? Or possible keeping to Dumfries and Galloway, and maybe lunching on the coast somewhere.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully appreciated, especially from those with better local knowledge- Euan, Gyles?

Cheers

Edit- Holy Island is about 176 miles away even by the most direct route so that's probably too far for a return trip!

176 miles are you suggesting we come back for breakfast? Don't forget in 06 I did 720 miles around the far north of Scotland on the Saturday. Though this year I plan to be more socialable and not do the RBR

Hi Guy, I live pretty close to Ken Bridge so here is my 2p worth. A712 to Newton Stewart, A714 north towards Glentrool village take the little single track road to Straiton. You would think you are in the Highlands on this road. Then You could head up to Ayr and visit Moto Ecosse (Guzzi Dealer) and head back south on the A719 via Dunure, Maidens ,Turnberry joining the A 77 south to Stranraer. On a clear day you get smashing veiws along here over to Arran and Ailsa Craig. Then back across to Newton Stewart, New Galloway. There is a smashing tea room at Clatteringshaws Loch just outside New Galloway.

There are also lots of smashing little towns along the coast. I have already mentioned Dunure but Kirkcubright is also worth a visit as is Rockcliffe.

Or how about heading to Arran for the day and doing a lap around the island?

Yes I forgot that Martin was an "ironbutt"!

Thanks for the route Doug- looks good to me- have explored a few of those roads myself and they are pretty empty and very twisty fun!

I may have a word with Moto Ecosse- be worth them getting some V11 spares in for that weekend anyway!

Thanks again

I'd want to get around the hills. I'd like to have time there, rather than them just being a through route.

Yes to Glentrool and Clatteringshaws Loch.

Arran is fabulous, but I don't fancy the ferry waiting and traveling time that would be taken out of the day. Could be persuaded, though the ferry is also an extra cost. I and others will already have ferry journeys at either end of the weekend.

I hate and loathe the Stranraer - Ayr road. It's always raining. It's always grey. It's windswept. It's always cluttered with traffic. It's often misty / foggy. And aren't there speed cameras all the way? It's a road I always feel pressurised on. Probably due to too many dashes for the ferry in atrocious weather.

You are probably right about the Ayr /Stranraer it can be a bit busy. But dont worry about the cameras, they point forward and cant get motorcycles. But the reason they are there is that it is a busy road and can be a bit dangerous with people rushing to get the ferries. So in second thoughts how about heading inland after Girvan? Again its just a thought for you guys to decide.

You are probably right about the Ayr /Stranraer it can be a bit busy. But dont worry about the cameras, they point forward and cant get motorcycles. But the reason they are there is that it is a busy road and can be a bit dangerous with people rushing to get the ferries. So in second thoughts how about heading inland after Girvan? Again its just a thought for you guys to decide.

What's it like heading north-east through the Southern Uplands? Cross-country rather than main road routes.