Rear Shock Options

Mr. Bean

Hello all,

Looking for opinions here. The perfect dual-sport environment that Seattle calls it's streets have taken their toll on my rear shock. It has died leaving a nice puddle on the garage floor. I spoke to M.I. and they recommended GP Suspension down in Portland for a rebuild. I talked to them today and they advised they cannot get parts for Sachs anymore.

Firstly, does anyone know who might still work on these things for a reasonable price?

As I'm also looking for a replacement.... Any feedback good, bad, or indifferent on the Wilbers 640 or 641? Is there a real-world advantage to the $300 remote compression adjustment? Does anyone have experience with the Hyperpro 30 or 31? Apparently they are very similar to the Wilbers.

Any other good options for a drop in replacement? Ohlins sound nice but I'm not sure I want to spend that much...looking more for the value end of the range of options.

All ideas welcome!

Randy

There was a stock oem rear shock on ebay recently.

I hate to mention it but you may want to ask Slug if he kept his wrecked bike or let the insurance company have it.

As for the aftermarket, I've heard good things about the Wilbers. Its probably $300 or less for a used oem shock, or $700 plus for a "good" one.

I have the Wilbers (640, I think) on my LeMans and it's a considerable improvement over the Sachs.

I bought mine used and it's fully optioned, with high & low speed compression damping, rebound damping, and remote hydraulic preload. If you ride solo and lightly loaded you'll never need the hydraulic preload. Mine's been backed off fully since I installed it. Correctly set-up, the base model shock is probably all you need. Wilbers builds the shock to suit the bike and rider and they are very particular. Based on the info you supply them, the shock will be delivered with the correct springing and damping. Set your sag correctly when you install it and welcome to a world of difference. Consider getting a correct set of fork springs at the same time

and setting the front up as well. Otherwise you may end up with front to rear imbalance. You can buy the base shock and new fork springs for less money than the optioned out rear shock, and you'll probably end up with a far better handling and riding bike.

Ken

Guest ratchethack
Any feedback good, bad, or indifferent on the Wilbers 640 or 641? Is there a real-world advantage to the $300 remote compression adjustment?

Randy, as of last week, I have exactly one year on my Wilbers 641 shock with 95 N/mm spring & 5 mm over-stock length. This is a high-quality, full custom-order item. To clarify any left-over misconceptions from previous threads a year back, this IS a full custom-order shock, and you CAN, in fact, get any dimension you specify on any reasonable, practical aspect of this shock on a spec-to-order and config-to-order basis! But f'er cryin' out loud, you can't get dimensions that are physically impossible to build or fit! -- er, sorry. Just a little left-over agita from previous threads. . . <_<

I've found high and low-speed compression adjustability is just the ticket to get 'er fully and properly dialed-in. But o' course, that's just me. Todd Eagan at GuzziTech is a great help and as far as I can tell, he's an unmatched "email or call any time" service resource. I have no doubt that he can make the difference between a happy shock replacement and something err, quite a bit short o' the mark. I highly recommend it and Todd as your source.

The high and low-speed remote compression damping adjustment is a great option, IMHO. Depends on how you ride and where you ride, of course. I've tended to fiddle unmercifully with it until I learned lots more about wot the Guzzi likes best by trying different combo settings, and then more or less left it alone, but I'm still inclined to change it occasionally, and wouldn't order one without. IMHO, as options go, it's been pretty much the dog's danglies. :P

As far as ride height adjustment and remote preload (also available as options), I imagine if you're making frequent changes due to one vs. 2-up riding changes and cargo load change, etc., these would be very handy items. I didn't get these, and don't miss them, since I only chassis tune for one-up and have no need for heavy touring cargo adjustability.

Assuming you have the front end properly set up and front-rear rates and sags correctly matched, this shock will absolutely transform the Guzzi when properly spec'd and dialed-in! :race:

Highly recommended. An unqualified 10 out of 10 possible on the bang-fer-the-buck scale and pegs the delight-o-riding meter. Did I mention get y'er spring rates and sags right? ;)

Oh yeah -- get the proper tires (in proper sizes), or you'll be wasting a great deal of the handling possible (as originally intended by the Luigi's in Mandello) with your new-found suspension set-up capability. ;)

You can buy the base shock and new fork springs for less money than the optioned out rear shock, and you'll probably end up with a far better handling and riding bike.

Ken

That is great idea...It would be nice to do something with front at the same time and end up with a complete package rather than just a part replacement. If I could fit it all into the same budget that may be the way to go. :thumbsup:

The high and low-speed remote compression damping adjustment is a great option, IMHO. Depends on how you ride and where you ride, of course. I've tended to fiddle unmercifully with it until I learned lots more about wot the Guzzi likes best, and then more or less left it alone, but I'm still inclined to change it occasionally, and wouldn't order one without the convenience. IMHO, as options go, it's been pretty much the dog's danglies. :P

I found myself in this same situation with the original Sachs. I first played with the settings a lot until I got them where I wanted them...(or as close as I could get with stock equipment)...and then have pretty much left them alone for the last 10K or so.

Thanks for the feedback y'all...keep it coming...especially if anyone has any experience with the HyperPro shocks?

Randy

I got a Penske two way adjustable:

They are listed at $715 here

http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog/produ...?products_id=31

I chose them over the Wilbers because they could provide a higher stroke to overall length ratio. I am sure you will agree this important on the roads you ride.

I am happy with the shock as it transformed the bike, but ordering it did not go smoothly.

Penske delivered it with the wrong size bushings for the eyes, and had to send me the correct ones. The good news is that they responded promptly.

If interested, I can send you the details so that maybe they will get it right the first time.

GP suspension also sells Penske and Ohlins.

If you can still get an Ohlins, it will give you an even higher stroke to length ratio, so it may be worth the money.

I started an incredibly excellent thread here on shock options

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5488

-_-

I have a spare used stock WP unit from a Sport 1100i that would work - sorta. It's a centimeter longer than the Sachs unit. I don't know if they can be shortened or not.

If Carl gives you a good price I would go for it.

It should give you an extra cm of stroke which is about an extra 2cm of wheel travel.

If you set the sag to the same percentage as the Sachs, it will ride higher and steer quicker.

Of course it is an ancient shock, so who knows how long the seal will last. :huh2:

Randy:

I have a 6000-mile stocker you're free to use for as long as you like, or to buy.

Will you can't beat that!

I'll bet Greg could even re-spring it for cheap!

Randy:

I have a 6000-mile stocker you're free to use for as long as you like, or to buy.

Thanks for the offer Greg :notworthy: ! I'm good though. I think i'm going to use this opportunity to get the whole suspension upgraded with a new proper shock in the back and springs for my weight in the front. I'll be out of town for a period of time anyway while I'm waiting for the parts so I won't miss too much quality riding time.

R

You could have a v11 used rear ohlins shock for 450/500 eur here

That would be my option

I bought one with the separate preloadadjuster for 450 eur in mint condition

• 4 weeks later...
You could have a v11 used rear ohlins shock for 450/500 eur here

That would be my option

I bought one with the separate preloadadjuster for 450 eur in mint condition

Jean Marc

If this shock is still available I would be interested in it. Please let me know how much you want for it (USD) plus estimated shipping to the US (New Jersey) Also, can you tell me what weight of rider it is set up for and if it comes with the necessary brackets to install the remote adjusters (I currently have the OEM Sachs with remote compression dampening)?

Thanks, Darius

Me too on the Wilbers Randy. Terrific unit, transforms the bike.

I'd sell you my low mileage stocker cheap if you were interested but the Wilbers is far superior.