Other 2008 / 2009 dates

Guzzirider is 'on the ball' getting May 2008 sorted already.

He also 'hit the nail on the head' with an excellent area, Galloway, to meet.

There has been a surprising (to me anyway) amount of interest from people considering coming from across various bits of water.

I wonder if folk would like to cross another bit of sea and come to Ulster?

I would organize a meet here if we can get a suitable time. Chris has pointed out that the NW200 is in May and it would be great to attend that, but I feel that it would be better for a rally to be kept for riding time. Having said that, a time around the NW could still be an option, or some of the smaller road races, such as the Tandragee 100 or, later in the summer, the Ulster Grand Prix.

I would propose 'St Patrick's Country', around Downpatrick, as the base. This is very scenic and gives good access to the Strangford Lough area and the coast down to the Mourne Mountains.

The other direction to head from there would be north, for the Antrim Coast Road, regularly cited as one of the world's 'must drive/ride' roads. It leads to the Giant's Causeway area. The Sperrin Mountains and the Antrim Glens would be the third area. That's Joey Dunlop country.

Jaap - have you, or has anyone else got dates in mind for meetings in 2008 or even 2009? May is a good time for me but with NW200 and then Scotland, it won't work for 2008. June is bad for me, though early in June might just be possible. July, August?

Another thought is that the Bushmills Whisky Distillery will be celebrating its 400th anniversary in 2008. It's on the Coast Road.

Any feedback about the idea is welcome.

See Wikipedia for small mention of the A2 coast road. there are links to Mournes and Glens there too. More info can be found from tourist sites via Google

Wiki - A2 road

The Coast Road came 5th in world in a Jacobs Creek survey, see BBC item:

BBC: world's most spectacular views

_42306950_coastroad_203.jpg

See here for 'Coast' site on Antrim Coast and on the right there are links to Strangford Lough, Antrim Glens etc.

This is worth a look

I came across this bit of blurb on a Harley site about the Slaney Inn – the pub where the camping base could be:

"In 1995 we went out for a run as a club to find another location for our rallies. We had gone out with six bars to try out. The first was The Slaney Inn in Raholp, Downpatrick. We sampled the beer, talked to the landlord and inspected the site. To this day we have yet to get to the second pub on our list. The Slaney Inn is the ideal venue for rallies, why look any further? So from then on, all of our rallies have been held here, and if ever you go to one, you will understand why. The site itself is set in the rolling hills of County Down, just below St.Patrick’s shrine. The Slaney Inn which has three bars, a restaurant and marquee as well as two secure car parks to keep them separate to bikes is an ideal rally site. The food from the restaurant is locally produced, as is the “pub grub”. The club also has B-B-Qs at the rally site. Huge breakfasts for unbelievable prices are also organised through the bar, no complaints yet. Camping is literally at the back door of the bar, so no lengthy walks from the pub to the tent. We have camping for 800 tents, but God help us if we ever had that many turn up. The bars sell the best Caffreys I have ever drunk, Guinness is great and there is a great selection of girl’s drinks…..The bar is run by Eamon Hayes, the best landlord ever, but why take my word for it, come to the next rally and see for yourself, you won’t be disappointed.

Club Rallies?In May of 1996, The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Northern Ireland staged the biggest Harley-Davidson event in Northern Ireland ever. Through contacts in the European Federation of Harley-Davidson Riders we had clubs from Scotland, England, Ireland, Holland, France and Denmark come to our site at Downpatrick. No one had a complaint, in fact everyone wanted to return to the next rally. We have since made good friends in the Harley Owners Club Ireland (Waterford), Caledonia Harley Club (Scotland), HDRC Wales, HDRCGB, and many other Harley and non-Harley clubs."

So, it sounds ok?

Well I'm up for it David- and am happy to trust your local knowledge when it comes to great roads and nice countryside :bier:

As you know, I am a regular visitor so could combine it with a trip to the relatives.

How about a date in late summer to combine with one of the smaller road races rather than the NW200?

Guy :helmet:

Well I'm up for it David- and am happy to trust your local knowledge when it comes to great roads and nice countryside :bier:

As you know, I am a regular visitor so could combine it with a trip to the relatives.

How about a date in late summer to combine with one of the smaller road races rather than the NW200?

Guy :helmet:

We could have a small 'taster' rally

and scout a road or two.

Mid Antrim 150 at beginning of August?

thread - Mid Antrim pics

Video includes MV Agusta

another video

David,

If the dates suit I'd try & make it.... but we are planning a long family holiday next year which'll take out most or all the school summer holidays for me, so it'd probably be unlikely.

I've never been over there but one day...

This is Van Morrison:

Coming down from Downpatrick

Stoping off at st. Johns point

Out all day birdwatching

And the craic was good

Stopped off at Strangford Lough

Early inthe morning

Drove through shigly taking pictures

And on to Killyleagh

Stopped off for Sunday papers at the

Lecale district, just before Coney Island

On and on, over the hill to Ardglass

In the jamjar, autumn sunshine, magnificent

And all shining through

Stop off at Ardglass for a couple of jars of

Mussels and some potted herrings in case

We get famished before dinner

On and on, over the hill and the craic is good

Heading towards Coney Island

I look at the side of your face as the sunlight comes

Streaming in through the window in the autumn sunshine

And all the time going to Coney Island I'm thinking

Wouldn't it be great if it was like this all the time.

Indeed.

KB :sun:

David, 2008 is a crime for me.

First weekend of May I will go to the V11 Rally in Italy, before that I maybe will have a tuningset of Scola (twin sparks-flow heads). So money will fly away :huh2:

After that I will spend a great vacation with my family. We haven't had a decent vacantion in several years!!!

May or June 2009 is a good option for me to come over in Ireland. :thumbsup:

David, 2008 is a crime for me.

First weekend of May I will go to the V11 Rally in Italy, before that I maybe will have a tuningset of Scola (twin sparks-flow heads). So money will fly away :huh2:

After that I will spend a great vacation with my family. We haven't had a decent vacantion in several years!!!

May or June 2009 is a good option for me to come over in Ireland. :thumbsup:

Thanks Antonio

Seems like it would be good to plan for a bigger event in 2009 and do something smaller in 2008. I can talk with Chris and Guy so that early summer 2009 is coordinated.

It's a long way for you guys, but it's not really any further than the last Scottish trip. (And it's not so easy / quick for me to get to Europe either!)

Indeed.

Indeed

:2c: I really missed not having the ERIN rally with it's break away V11Lemans.com splinter group this last year.

So if you had a weekend in mind for this coming year I'd do my utmost to come. It can be difficult to get time off in the school holiday periods and it would be domestically frowned upon if I did secure that time and "wasted " it on a motorcycle trip as opposed to family time. So May, June and September are best for me.

With a number of people already committing to Scotland for May it may only be feasible for a small gathering this year, but I like the idea of a scouting party. Also it's not much further from Ken Bridge to the ferries at Stranraer so the Europeans who make Ken Bridge this year would have an idea on the feasibility of a double crossing for next. I don't think Galloway one weekend and Ulster the next would be feasible requires too much time away from family for those that it's a consideration.

I'm not sure about the racing. I enjoy it on the TV but I'm not sure I'd give up the main riding day to standing on a road side and watching them blast past. But I've not tried it, so never say never and I'll go with the general consensus.

I'm all for committing now to the main UK V11Lemans.com gathering being in Ulster for 2009

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I take on board what you said Martin.

A small group in 2008 could be cheapish, as in possibly no acommodation costs.

The good thing about having the bigger event in 2009 is that it allows time for us to fundraise so that we can fly-in the DL & Ratchet Show for our evening entertainment

7-les-vieux.jpg

and build up a stock-pile of rotten tomatoes

That was wonderful!

Bravo!

I loved that!

Ah, that was great!

Well, it was pretty good.

Well, it wasnt bad ...

Uh, there were parts of it that werent very good though.

It could have been a lot better.

I didnt really like it.

It was pretty terrible.

It was bad.

It was awful!

It was terrible!

Take em away!

Bah, boo!

Boo!

:D