Hyperpro steering damper

Gio

Just fitted a 75mm RSC unit in place of the stock Bitubo on my 2000 sport.

Installation instructions indicate a distance of 39mm between clamp and end of assembly - but I found that this limits movement prior to mechanical stop at full left hand lock (but still ~12 mm remaining at RH lock)

I have adjusted this reference measurement to 47mm (ie +8mm) which now gives ~2mm free at LH lock and ~6mm at RH lock.

Gio

I hope the unit can handle the force of steering lock duty.

Please let us know how you like the effect on handling!

Indeed. Fortunately (steering) lock to lock is only required during parking manouvers ...

So far so good. I have found just one or two clicks (of up to 24 I think) seems to be quite sufficient and has very little effect on low speed turning effort. The only thing I don't like is the "upside-down" mounting (ie with adjuster facing downwards) otherwise I'm pleased with the transition from the stock Bit-of-lubo and associated oily mess ...

Gio

Guest ratchethack
Indeed. Fortunately (steering) lock to lock is only required during parking manouvers ...

Heaven forefend, but should you ever drop the bike, you will discover the primary function of the steering stops. In that event, if you're using your damper as a steering stop, you may expect it to snap like a twig. :(

Ratchet, I read Gio's posting as saying he still has some travel available in the damper even when the bars are at extremes of lock and up against the physical stop. It sounds like you are concerned that he's using the damper as his lock stop (which I don't think he is).

I b'lieve you're correct, Phil. Looks like Gio's probably well aware.

Just makin' sure. . . :sun:

Yeah, I'm with you guys. That idea was starting to scare me. You could force the end off and get it hung up on the oil cooler. Not fun!

Wheew. I hope..

Just fitted a 75mm RSC unit in place of the stock Bitubo on my 2000 sport.

Installation instructions indicate a distance of 39mm between clamp and end of assembly - but I found that this limits movement prior to mechanical stop at full left hand lock (but still ~12 mm remaining at RH lock)

I have adjusted this reference measurement to 47mm (ie +8mm) which now gives ~2mm free at LH lock and ~6mm at RH lock.

Gio

As I read it, that means it is working as a steering stop.

If it had more than~2 LH and more than ~6RH travel, it would no longer function as a stop, right? :huh:

As I read it, that means it is working as a steering stop.

If it had more than~2 LH and more than ~6RH travel, it would no longer function as a stop, right? :huh:

Just to clear any confusion - with damper installed as per Hyperpro instructions it was just hitting at full LH lock - but with revised installation there is now clear "rod" at both steering lock extremes (2mm at one end, 6mm at the other - so I guess I could adjust further and get 4mm at both ends?)

Gio

Just to clear any confusion - with damper installed as per Hyperpro instructions it was just hitting at full LH lock - but with revised installation there is now clear "rod" at both steering lock extremes (2mm at one end, 6mm at the other - so I guess I could adjust further and get 4mm at both ends?)

Gio

Thanks for the clarification. I did read carefully enough. That is good news that you can adjust it so that it does not reduce your turning radius, nor put a load on the damper.

I would not worry about setting it to 4 mm at both ends.

Thanks for the clarification. I did read carefully enough. That is good news that you can adjust it so that it does not reduce your turning radius, nor put a load on the damper.

I would not worry about setting it to 4 mm at both ends.

But ... 2mm at one end and 6mm at the other offends my sense of symmetry - with balance comes harmony - I feel compelled to adjust to get an even 4mm at each end ...

Gio

But ... 2mm at one end and 6mm at the other offends my sense of symmetry - with balance comes harmony - I feel compelled to adjust to get an even 4mm at each end ...

Gio

A balanced Guzzi is a happy Guzzi :D

• 12 years later...

I feel very lucky and  fortunate to be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience gained over many years of members on this website . Education is like gold that all of you were willing to share with me thanks so much for taking an interest in this novice v11 Le Mans owner .

• Like 2