Stelvio

biesel

yeah I'm sold. Is there any word on hard luggage for the Stelvio? I'd like some utalitiarian at least styled boxes to put on there but I haven't seen anything from the factory on it. :huh:

You missed this picture?

05120stelvio12004V.jpg

They hide the exhaust too so there is no point in replacing it for the looks ;)

This pic is what made be not want a Norge anymore! But this is the only acceptable (lack of) color so far, I don't like the red at all

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested a Stelvio yesterday. I wanted to try the Griso 4V, but some customer dropped it and it wasn't available. So, i took the Stelvio, to get a feel of the new 4V engine.

Altho conditions weren't too good (it was at best damp, most of the time it was raining), it was pleasant indeed altho felt underpowered for a 4V.

The engine is torquey and the delivery seems spotless. But i missed the Oooomph of the Centauro I tried a few years ago.

Is it the gearing or how they mapped the engine as it seems relatively more tamed to me that the wild bronco the Centauro is ? I agree with Paul, it's rather dull (my 2V engine accelerates way faster than this 4V).

Will they use the same mapping on the Griso ?

I tested a Stelvio yesterday. I wanted to try the Griso 4V, but some customer dropped it and it wasn't available. So, i took the Stelvio, to get a feel of the new 4V engine.

Altho conditions weren't too good (it was at best damp, most of the time it was raining), it was pleasant indeed altho felt underpowered for a 4V.

The engine is torquey and the delivery seems spotless. But i missed the Oooomph of the Centauro I tried a few years ago.

Is it the gearing or how they mapped the engine as it seems relatively more tamed to me that the wild bronco the Centauro is ? I agree with Paul, it's rather dull (my 2V engine accelerates way faster than this 4V).

Will they use the same mapping on the Griso ?

Interesting- I guess your Ghezzi will be lighter than a V11 so will be faster. The Stelvio feels a fair bit quicker than my Rosso Corsa- especially at the top end where she wants to take off.

I think the Stelvio is deceptively quick, because the ride is so good you do not realise how fast you are going. Now I am getting used to mine, I gave her a bit of stick yesterday (without completely thrashing her- still running in) and she was awesome on fast twisty and bumpy roads- can't imagine going faster on any other Guzzi.

Now I am getting used to mine, I gave her a bit of stick yesterday (without completely thrashing her- still running in) and she was awesome on fast twisty and bumpy roads- can't imagine going faster on any other Guzzi.

oh, i have no doubts it's fasti was just disappointed of its civility. The Centauro i tried a few years ago was much more violent and really grabbing you, this ride seems tamed somehow compare to the previous 4V engine.

@paul: they should remap it, if possible, to give it more of a midrange kick, yeah.

Having only done a couple of hundred miles, I can't give a full impression yet.

I think you're right about the civility. The whole package is much more 'civil' and more seamless than the V.11 You would expect that of any modern bike.

The big kick seems to be in the higher revs, which I can't really sample yet. Somewhere around 6,500 to 7,000 rpm the 1200 8V takes off in a big way, different to 1100 V.11. When it happened, I was watching the traffic, not the clock, so I'm not sure exactly at what point it is. Will report back again, soon enough.

web.jpg

The big kick seems to be in the higher revs, which I can't really sample yet.

would you know if the ECU set up is the same than on the Stelvio ? And/or the gearing ?

the bikes looks a LOT better on the road and with a rider than sitting on a turn table on its center stand with too many bright lights on it

guzzi%20stelvio%201.jpg

I'm so sold, 3 yrs and counting till it hits my garage(two if things work out right) ;)

Belfast Guzzi,

Here's the answer to your question on what lies in the upper rev ranges!

After much googling, the ONLY dyno chart I could find was from Italian mag Euromoto, someone has scanned a dyno chart for the 8v Griso (Stelv will be lower/flatter torque hopefully, with ECU, exhaust and possibly cam changes)?

I'm not sure on the actual figures, I assume "Rullo" is at rear wheel, and Perdite is the losses in the tranny, all std dyno stuff. But when (with more sad googling) I found an article the same mag had done on dyno testing (A Superflow, which I think tend to give slightly lower readings than more common Dynojet stuff)they used an Aprilia Tuono 1000R as an example, and the "Rullo" figure was only 105 bhp peak. Motorcyclist magazine got 114 out of one on the same kind of dyno? So possibly the "Albero" figure is the oft quoted one, dunno, I'm confused :huh:

Anyway, here's the chart, showing (relative) mid range quiet spot, then it takes off like waaay more than any recent 2 valve.

I plotted the Rullo figure against the recent "Bike" magazine test between 1200 sport and BM R1200R. The plot was pretty much between the two, so at NO point does the 8v make LESS power than the (admittedly slightly strangled) modern equivalent 1200 2v. So much for mid range flat spots, these things are all relative, with even decent brit journalists like Kevin Ash and Roland Brown saying they should have used the 2v in the Stelvio??

All this might be nonsense of course, and I've got the wrong figures, but shape of curve tells us a lot, much smaller dip in middle than modern 2v (as they leave the factory). Also suspect stelvio will sacrifice top end, for not much difference lower down, this seems to be the way with "softer" versions of modern engines (e.g. Caponord vs Tuono etc)

Hope this is useful/interesting, test ride on Stel coming up, having sold the v11 recently. :food:

Oh and Todd, tried to put this on stelvio.com, but still struggling with registration, despiute your e-mail today?

Dave

griso8vbyeuromoto2zo5.jpg

Belfast Guzzi,

Here's the answer to your question on what lies in the upper rev ranges!

After much googling, the ONLY dyno chart I could find was from Italian mag Euromoto, someone has scanned a dyno chart for the 8v Griso (Stelv will be lower/flatter torque hopefully, with ECU, exhaust and possibly cam changes)?

I'm not sure on the actual figures, I assume "Rullo" is at rear wheel, and Perdite is the losses in the tranny, all std dyno stuff. But when (with more sad googling) I found an article the same mag had done on dyno testing (A Superflow, which I think tend to give slightly lower readings than more common Dynojet stuff)they used an Aprilia Tuono 1000R as an example, and the "Rullo" figure was only 105 bhp peak. Motorcyclist magazine got 114 out of one on the same kind of dyno? So possibly the "Albero" figure is the oft quoted one, dunno, I'm confused :huh:

Anyway, here's the chart, showing (relative) mid range quiet spot, then it takes off like waaay more than any recent 2 valve.

Perhaps Antonio can translate the main headings?

Everything is relative. I mentally measure everything against the Fiat Panda '45' that I used to have. Red Italian cars, eh?