Nasty Hiccup

docc

• 3 years later...
On 2/11/2018 at 8:53 PM, docc said:

Thank you,  :notworthy:  gentlemen!  :thumbsup: 

Just reviewed this ten+ year-long thread. Restored some links and images and refreshed my memory of all the contributors.

"Thank you, :notworthy: gentlemen!  :thumbsup: " is yet appropriate. :bier:

Like so many conditions involving complex systems, a V11 "Nasty Hiccup" is likely "multi-causal." In this case:

Weak/under-rated relays + bad TPS + negative CO Fuel Trim setting + faulty coil wire connection + failed 30 amp charge fuse = *Nasty Hiccup*!

(At one point in those ten+years, even loose intake clamps made a contribution to the elusive badness . . .)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

dang Pyro Dan.  :bbblll:

Hey, the GEI may have been better than the Bosch. Which were better relays than the Tyco, that were better than both versions of the Seimans.  Then we learn that the G8HE OMRON is heads-and-shoulders better than the G8HN.

"Best Relay" is a concept that was derived, partly, through this long thread.

Again, thanks to so many dedicated contributors. Yet, we cannot neglect the other significant "hiccup"/misfire/stumble sources. (esp: TPS, CO Fuel Trim, 30 amp fuse failure) . . .

Gotta cover all the bases! :nerd::luigi::race:

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

HI All, just cruised through this thread.   Have been having increasingly this hiccup issue the last several thousand kms.  Bike runs and idles fine no hiccups until you start moving.  Its never when im heavy on throttle, only off or coming off the power or at neutral steady throttle cruising.   Its gotten bad enough that its a distraction while riding, and will occasional cough the bike into dying at a light when I rev a bit pro to starting off (love hearing the Guzzi sound of course).  

Anyway, seems like there is no clean solution.  Not sure where I might get those relays these days guess ill try eBay.  

Anybody Ive ever talked to thought maybe the bike is just running lean, but its more than that and I never had an issue in the for 15 years of owning the bike soooo..   

Thanks for the thread all, and if anybody seea any reason I might be barking down the wrong road please say so.  At this point ill replace the TPS, fuse and see where it gets me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dbarb3 said:

search dpguzzi   its a different brand but i am using them with no problems

Unfortunately, those are still under-rated Chinese relays. If you can't find High Current OMRON G8HE on ebay, then the CIT are available and the ratings check out.

Otherwise, any Nasty Hiccup should start with a "Decent-tune UP" . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, loteqv11Naked said:

HI All, just cruised through this thread.   Have been having increasingly this hiccup issue the last several thousand kms.  Bike runs and idles fine no hiccups until you start moving.  Its never when im heavy on throttle, only off or coming off the power or at neutral steady throttle cruising.   Its gotten bad enough that its a distraction while riding, and will occasional cough the bike into dying at a light when I rev a bit pro to starting off (love hearing the Guzzi sound of course).  

Anyway, seems like there is no clean solution.  Not sure where I might get those relays these days guess ill try eBay.  

Anybody Ive ever talked to thought maybe the bike is just running lean, but its more than that and I never had an issue in the for 15 years of owning the bike soooo..   

Thanks for the thread all, and if anybody seea any reason I might be barking down the wrong road please say so.  At this point ill replace the TPS, fuse and see where it gets me!

The symptom’s a ‘hiccup’ - but the actual cause is a ‘brain fart’.