HOW TO pick up that dropped Guzzi

Guest ratchethack

Guest ratchethack

This might've saved me some semi-serious back strain about a year ago. :bbblll:

Now this is just me, but I found that wot was previously not a problem with a dozen bikes up to 750 cc is well, err, a horse of a different hue with a 550 lb. V-11. :unsure::whistle:

The following was unapologetically lifted from WG, submitted there by Steve Tiedman, Minnesota, USA MGNOC #20536.

This might've saved me some semi-serious back strain about a year ago. :bbblll:

Now this is just me, but I found that wot was previously not a problem with a dozen bikes up to 750 cc is well, err, a horse of a different hue with a 550 lb. V-11. :unsure::whistle:

The following was unapologetically lifted from WG, submitted there by Steve Tiedman, Minnesota, USA MGNOC #20536.

Used that method in the South Dakota Badlands back in 1980 to pick up my fully packed and cross - country (with camping gear yet) bound CBX. Also used it to pick up my Harley FLT back in mid-80's - somewhere in Oregon.. I was MUCH younger then, of course.

Major oversight on video - you need to put the bike in gear. Having that thing begin to roll as you try to lift it can be seriously embarrassing. Ask me how I know. BTW, if it really is a strain, consider unpacking the bike before you go at it. Surprised he didn't mention that.

One other observation - again learned through experience. Once you have the bike "safe" - ie motor stopped and no gas spilling on hot motor - sit down and relax. Visualize what you're going to do. then be methodical about it. The tendency is to run up to your fallen jewel and yank it up as quick as possible because you're in "panic" mode. Get relaxed first, then tackle the job at hand. Chances are while you're getting your head straight someone will stop by and give you a hand.

BTW, nice to see you posting again - I assume all is well at Casa Hack.

Brilliant! Everything is easy when you know how to do it - and this trick was new to me. And disturbingly simple!

Also, like Pierre said, the bike probably wont get more hurt if you take a minute to calm down and think. I've lifted my Sporti from ground once, and I did it in panic mode, hurting my back. Putting it in gear is a smart move too. It's really obvious when served this way, but I wouldn't have thought of that either.

OTOH, hopefully I'll never have to use these tricks :o

Chances are while you're getting your head straight someone will stop by and give you a hand.

Yep, once that kill switch has been hit, you should be able to take your time.

Fuel may be leaking out if you IMPROPERLY fixed the sucking fuel tank issue, but don't worry about it.

More than once I have shouted, 'Wait!' to friends hurrying to pick up their bikes without waiting for assistance.

But damn that video makes me feel stupid that I did not think of using that method.

I remember when I was a drunken teenager we used to parallel park VW beetles using that lifting technique, but I never translated it to the motorcycle.

Thanks for the enlightening post, Ratchet :bier:

....and good comment about putting it in gear, Pierre. :bier: I suppose if you can't get to the gear shifter, placing something behind one of the wheels would stop the roll away.