Tires

Anthony

:thumbsup: I use Pilot Power 2CT. They are fantastic tyres, totally confidence inspiring. But they are SSport tyres - I don't get much more than 1,500m to a set - wear is fast but v even.

KB :sun:

Damn, this is what I was afraid of. The original Pilot Power sport tire was lasting to long for them to make $$. I hope they don't discontinue it. But they will. Progress... <_>

Guest bassguy1111

I was running the Metzeler RoadTecs on my 2000 Sport. I was pretty happy with the mileage (almost 10K) but they squared off pretty badly and the handling was just average in my opinion (170s on the rear.)

I just switched to the Bridgestone BT-021 tires and I'm REALLY impressed. They handle unbelievably well. I do a lot of high mileage freeway riding but I also ride the mountain twisties quite a bit. (I live in LA and my girlfriend lives 125 miles away in the mountains by Idyllwild.) I've heard that they compare much more favorably to the 020s. I know that I'm very pleased with the handling but they're too new to give you a mileage report. They are designed to be a high mileage tire, though.

:thumbsup: I use Pilot Power 2CT. They are fantastic tyres, totally confidence inspiring. But they are SSport tyres - I don't get much more than 1,500m to a set - wear is fast but v even. Power Road are a new Sport/Touring version of the 2CT?

Conti Sport Attack are a very good tyre, with slow, neutral character - Road Attack would be the Sport/Touring version I think.

I don't know why more people here don't try Michelin Or Contis?

I use Pilot Power 2CT. They are fantastic tyres, totally confidence inspiring. But they are SSport tyres - I don't get much more than 1,500m to a set - wear is fast but v even. Power Road are a new Sport/Touring version of the 2CT?

The Pilot Road 2 are the new dual compound road tyre, but they also sport a very small 2CT icon on the rim. I have used the Pilot Power on the front many times but like you said wears too quickly. These Pilot Road 2's are holding shape with no sign of centre wearing flat, yet.

Though there are undoubtedly many out there, I don't personally know of even one V-11 rider who would attempt to argue that a 120/70 is not the preferred, if not the "ideal" width and aspect ratio choice for the 3.5" front wheel.

HOWEVER, when we get to the rear, that's where we run into err, on-going, umm, "controversy". :whistle: As far as I'm concerned, let's not be silly when it comes to tires, 'cause IMHO tires are the most important component on any motorcycle. By my own personal experience and the recommendations of many Pro's who're in a position to make the most qualified recommendations, the 5.5" rear wheel that came on your '03 and '04 V-11's should have a 170/60 -- assuming the best handling, safety, and tire life your Guzzi is capable of are your leading objectives. Yes, it came with a 180, but this was a compromise made in Mandello no doubt by a marketing committee to enhance showroom "blingery", and therefore sales. Yes, many consider this "good enough", or even "best" -- based on wot?? By all means, leave us explore that next

And so what size would you recommend for my newly acquired 4.5" wheel?

Currently riding on Metz Z6 Roadtec's that came with the Ballabio when I bought it. Decent tire. I put these on, as I had worn out my second set of Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's. The Pirelli's were fly paper compared to the Metz's. Warm up much faster, and much more predictable in high speed cornering.

And so what size would you recommend for my newly acquired 4.5" wheel?

SIZE isn't everything!!! :rolleyes: .

Different tyres have different profiles, different handling characteristics. Eg: a 180 with a sharp profile may turn quicker than a 170 with a flatter profile. (notice how handling is affected when rearv wears down in the middle?).

Not all tyres are vailable in all sizes.

Narrower tyre = flatter profile on same rim = possibly run off tread early at extremes (only my theory :huh2: ).

A narrower tyre will turn quicker than a wider tyre of same type, but it must be a recommended fitment for the rim. IMV the closer in width to front the rear, the more neutral the turn-in. As far as I know, on a 4.5" rim the choice is between 170 & 160, & the 160 is generally regarded as giving better handling.

Forgive the interuption...I am sure Ratchethack will direct you to the correct choice for your requirements :D:P .

• 9 years later...

Sorry for stiring up this "tyre-ing" and everlasting discussion :grin:

Very interesting though, the stuff about changing trail depending on tyre shape. Next weight distribution and spring stiffness and damping come into the equation (and with this rider position). This theory is very easy to feel in practice. Sometimes you can feel the bike is falling in the corner, then the trail is become shorter in the first fase of turning in to the lean-angle. You probably also feel there is a moment that it is difficult to lean further. This is the opposite (trail getting longer). The old Guzzi's with the fixed end-gear climb out of the spring when you re on the throttle again (out of the corner). I always feel the extra handling at this moment (but you do't need it anymore).

But, this said:

Does anyone have experience with the new Dunlop Roadsmart

I haven't tried the new Roadsmart, but I always had the last version on, and its a good tire. My buddy with an XR 1200 has gotten 12K on the rear and 17K on the front (my mileage was about half that). I just switched to Pilot Road 4's, and they have transformed the bike. Smooth, comfortable, solid in the corners and have added a precision to the handling that I didn't know was possible. I can't recommend these enough.

I have the Dunlop RoadSmart 3s on my LeMans. I like them a lot - wish I had some experience on the PR4s so I could compare for you. The rear tire sidewall is quite strong - warm it up if you're going to put it on yourself.

They say you can reduce the tire-pressure to 2.0 without loosing the stiffness of the tire and in this way adjust the heating of the tire. This is because of the stiff sidewalls. Would you think this to be possible Scud?

I have the Dunlop RoadSmart 3s on my LeMans. I like them a lot - wish I had some experience on the PR4s so I could compare for you. The rear tire sidewall is quite strong - warm it up if you're going to put it on yourself.

I have had PR4 and RoadSmart (not sure the number).  They both handle about the same.  Michelins take a little time to warm up.  The PR4 rear didn't last very long on my Sport but is holding up OK on my Bandit.

Really, it comes down to cost, so the Dunlop is the clear winner in my book (for the V11).  Not sure about the Bandit though.  

I am running Pilot Powers (not the sport touring Pilot Roads). I have 6000 miles on the rear and 7000 on the front. They are squared off from Interstate running this summer, but othewise would last another 500-1000 miles. A buddy of mine with an R1 told me they would last 7000. He was right, and I am shocked. I do keep 40 psi in the rear. But I may try the Z6 or Diablo Strada's next spring.

Cheers,

Steve

I used to run pilot powers on all my bikes, including the V11. Found that in Michigan in order to get to the few roads with turns you have to ride 3x the distance to get there on flat straight roads.  My pilot powers would be squared off too early. Started switching to pilot roads, and really like the feel, wear, and wet performance.  Tires are just like suspension settings, everyone has their own preferences.  All the modern tires are great relative to a few years ago, and sport touring tires are worth consideration; especially for their wet performance.  Swipe right on anyone's opinion that says tires X is the only one to use.  

Used Dunlops (206?) prior to my switch to Michelins.  Started using Mich after doing track days.  their taller "peaked" profiles seemed to be better on track with my Ducati 900, that was slower turning vs newer sport geometries.  The pilot roads are more rounded like the Dunlops were.  

I run 34psi front and 32 rear.  Any lower in front, and you risk having a Michigan pothole ding your rim.  I've run those pressures on my street bikes for years.  Same pilot power tires on track bike with 28 front 24 rear work well for most days, and adjust as the track heats up.

Ride more, so you'll have more opportunities to try other brands!

I used to run Pilot Road 2s and 3s and they were great, but then I talked myself into trying the Conti Motion. Really inexpensive tire but they work as well as the Michelins for me. I can get to the edge of the rear and they feel totally secure and hooked up. I've been running them for maybe 20k miles and only had the rear slip a little one time when it was too cold to be pushing it. They don't last quite as long but the price makes it worth it.

I was really happy with Conti trail attacks on Darth Quota, so told the Kid about Contis. He put Street attacks on his Spot, as I did on the Mighty Scura last winter.

We were on them on our Carolinas Mini Spine Raid in late May, and the Kid said, "These are my most favoritist tires I've ever ran." :rasta: Sticky, good in the wet, and wear well. I agree, and recommend them to your attention.  :)