Which dynojet for '04 V11?

cycdude6

I'm considering the purchase of a Dynojet Power Commander for my '04 Ballabio with M4 cans and a K&N filter. The bike runs pretty good with the M4's though it seems driveability could be better at lower throttle openings. In addition, I would like to improve the fuel mileage numbers from 36-38 mpg to the mid forties if possible. The bike does seem to be running a little rich, if I go by the light black soot in the pipes. So.....

1) Which power commander? The ones I've found are listed for '01 to '02 bikes.

2) Should I have the bike dynoed? The guy who dynoed my '01 Vstrom did a poor job...I was able to better his efforts using the adjustment buttons not to mention it was pretty expensive.

Thanks all!

John in Connecticut

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Had an '04 Lemans with M4 cans and PC; I was also using Mike Rich Hi-Compression pistons. I had a custom map done by a guy who knows how to make the V11's run perfectly. I got 42 -48 mpg, depending. The bike ran absolutely perfect from 'bottom' to 'top.' I'm certain he could offer you useful advise. Give him a call; Mickey Cohen Motorsports @ 714-993-5000. Tell Mickey that 'Allan' suggested you phone him.

I'm considering the purchase of a Dynojet Power Commander for my '04 Ballabio with M4 cans and a K&N filter. The bike runs pretty good with the M4's though it seems driveability could be better at lower throttle openings. In addition, I would like to improve the fuel mileage numbers from 36-38 mpg to the mid forties if possible. The bike does seem to be running a little rich, if I go by the light black soot in the pipes. So.....

1) Which power commander? The ones I've found are listed for '01 to '02 bikes.

2) Should I have the bike dynoed? The guy who dynoed my '01 Vstrom did a poor job...I was able to better his efforts using the adjustment buttons not to mention it was pretty expensive.

Thanks all!

John in Connecticut

A piece of advice, in case you haven't thought of it: Even though I only had about 1300 miles on my '04, I did the valve adjustment and then the TPS calibration and throttle body synchronization procedure. It ran fine beforehand, but afterwards, better idle, and economy improved from 38 to 42mpg.

The main reason I'm suggesting you do this before you have the dyno tuning done, is not only to improve things, but to avoid the risk of dyno tuning the bike with offset TPS and unbalanced throttles. Later on, if they are recalibrated and synchronized, you would actually be detuning. If you think the valves may need adjusting, or the plugs need changing, do that as well before the dyno tuning.

A piece of advice, in case you haven't thought of it: Even though I only had about 1300 miles on my '04, I did the valve adjustment and then the TPS calibration and throttle body synchronization procedure. I ran fine beforehand, but afterwards, better idle, and economy improved from 38 to 42mpg.

The main reason I'm suggesting you do this before you have the dyno tuning done, is not only to improve things, but to avoid the risk of dyno tuning the bike with offset TPS and unbalanced throttles. Later on, if they are recalibrated and synchronized, you would actually be detuning. If you think the valves may need adjusting, or the plugs need changing, do that as well before the dyno tuning.

I bought my 2000 Sport with only 2k miles on it. The previous owner installed a Power Commander to rid of "hick ups"...

It got 28 miles to the gall., ... I took the Commander of and synchronized the throttles, whow what a difference, re-installed the Commander and things got even better... about 40 miles now... I feel the manual adjustment worked just fine for me...

I think the message is that if your bike does not run well,or at least has no major..."hick ups" like mine... don't waste money for the Dyno tuning,... safe riding Hardy

Remember that a Power Commander will only correct deficiencies in your fuelling. It WON'T make up for a badly maintained bike that is lacking base line set up such as valve clearances, TPS setting and throttle body balancing. It is not bolt on horsepower, and to get the very best from it requires time and/or knowledge.

Remember that a Power Commander will only correct deficiencies in your fuelling. It WON'T make up for a badly maintained bike that is lacking base line set up such as valve clearances, TPS setting and throttle body balancing. It is not bolt on horsepower, and to get the very best from it requires time and/or knowledge.

The danger is that if dyno tuning with a Power Commander is done with skill, it is likely to make up to some extent for baseline setup deviations and produce some improvement. The rider may be led to believe that's as good as it gets. That's why I encouraged John in Connecticut to get the baseline right first.

BTW, I thought the Power Commander also provided for adjusting the ignition timing. :huh2:

Your best bet for a PCIII is to contact Todd Eagan at Guzzitech. He'll take your mods, and map the PCIII for you.

Thanks much... be sure to read the top paragraph here; http://www.guzzitech.com/PCIII-15M.html

Ryland3210, be happy to get your straightened out.

I just spent the last two days in Vegas at DynoJet, and there is some exciting news coming early next year for all of us, including the newest Guzzis.

If you must go with a Power Commando, I'd be more comfortable working with a licensed business and a reputable dealer, like Moto International. They've been around for a long time and would stand behind their work. Besides, they really seem to care about the Guzzi community.

It sounds like you're implying Guzzitech is not reputable. I couldn't disagree more. I've had excellent service from Todd and he has been quite available for all my questions. Shipping has been prompt and pricing fair. With regards to the PCIII....

GuzziTech.com is the Technical Advisor for Dynojet for all Guzzi PCIIIs.

We are the ones that pushed for the PCIIIusb, spent our time to develop most of the maps available

everywhere online, and we will help you with final map tweaks via e-mail/endless e-mail support, etc.

Units are shipped pre-mapped, one plug in and go.

How do you get much more reputable than that? ;)