Which dynojet for '04 V11?

cycdude6

You get a business license, insurance, rent or purchase a building,

Hi Kevin are you saying Todd doesn't have these?I don't know either way,just was curious.Iv'e had excellent dealings with MI,and have heard great things but have no experience with Todd.

Michael

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible that defensiveness masks insecurity?

Yeah...that's it. :lol:

What would I possibly have to be insecure about? I don't own or have interest in either of those businesses. All I can say is that with all the "stuff" I've ordered from Todd at Guzzitech, (PCIII, HyperPro Springs, Brembo rotors) I've had nothing but spotless service. Todd is knowledgeable and runs his business professionally. Regardless of the whether or not he's a "brick and mortar" store.

I've made purchases at MI as well. Guzzitech's service is every bit as good.

That's not personal preference, that's practical personal experience.

No axe to grind and no backsides to kiss;

I've had faultless service from Todd and would happily deal with him again.

A bricks and mortar store is of no great value to me when I'm half a planet away.

Phil

Todd is knowledgeable and runs his business professionally. Regardless of the whether or not he's a "brick and mortar" store.

I've made purchases at MI as well. Guzzitech's service is every bit as good.

That's not personal preference, that's practical personal experience.

Haven't bought anything from Todd, but I've met him [years ago] & he's good people. I got my LeMans from MI, & they're good people too. I doubt very much that any customer of either would find fault w/ their service or support unless they were actively seeking to find fault for some nefarious reason.

Brick & mortar businesses need to utilize the 'net these days to leverage their investment in meatspace. Some inveterate Luddites like myself will only deal w/ the B&M side of an internet business for certain items or convenience' sake. Conversely, many 'net businesses can exist fine in etherspace, but will find that having a B&M business [if it suits their product line] only adds to their profitability because it lends substance to their "business brand."

It's a strange & marvelous Brave New World we live in, innit?

:cheese:

FWIW Todd has done more to make PCIIIs available to Guzzis than anyone, other than the hard working people at Dynojet. He works directly with Dynojet, trailering bikes from SoCal to Dynjet HQ in Vegas to use their dynos to create maps. He fought to get a PCIII made for older Guzzis, and I believe became the exclusive dealer for those PCIIIs. I would not be surprised that if it were not for him, there would be no PCIIIUSB for the Guzzis. :oldgit:

That being said, I prefer mapping directly to the ECU. :cheese:

For that Todd offers Direct Link software for only $200. But I suspect his expertise with PCIII is far greater than with Direct Link. Not that either require a PhD, but experience helps, as does a private MAP library.

Neither B&M, nor a license ensures the integrity of the seller, although those collecting fees for licenses like to assure us otherwise. Personal character determines integrity, and competence determines performance, not the form of the enterprise. All of us know of reputable and disreputable dealings in both forms.

Fortunately, we still have the freedom to chose whether to operate a B&M business or not. Even more important is our right to do buy and sell as individuals without asking permission or obtaining a license to do so. In fact, it seems to me that only the frequent exercise of that right continues its existence. Use it, or lose it.

:2c:

Once you properly adjust the valves, set the TPS, balance the TB's, a properly dynolinked PCIII is the single biggest improvement you can make to these bikes, but the dyno operator must be skilled. My 02 Lemans after dynolink tuning ran perfectly, made 85 bhp rear wheel and had an increase in gas mileage. It had an opened up airbox, x-over and mistrals, but the driveability and perfect response was fantastic. I've done this to a couple of my Guzzi's and am completely sold on the value it brings....

snip

:stupid:

And by the way Moto International is fine, too.

Greg Field is an incredible contributor to this forum.

I am surprised he doesn't sell bikes through a "One Click" website!

Others are trying to make a profit in the tough Guzzi market, yet still find time to make valuable posts here: Todd Haven of MPH, and Pete Roper of Moto Moda have made greatly appreciated technical posts.

Others such as JohnT run a tuning link dyno, and has made valuable posts concerning his upgrades. He would be another fine person to buy a PCIII from, especially if you live near Danbury, Conneticut. http://www.dyno-solutions.com/

FalcoLion is more new to Guzzis, but sells bits and contributes.

I'll bet there are some Piaggio/Guzzi dealers out there lurking(perhaps wisely).

Ryland makes great posts and sells forward set footpegs(probably at a generous net loss) He is also pursuing better relays to and oil pressure meter kits to benefit our community.

If I were more ambitious, I would make and sell urethane cush cushions and a kit to move to a 50A starter relay. With the current value of the US dollar, it should be easy to better than break even.

Yes, however a licensed, insured, invested business has much more to lose than Joe Blow selling stuff out of his apartment. Financially, a dealer has a lot to lose. Joe Blow: only his ego and reputation, whatever that may be.

I must disagree; selling goods and/or services at a profit without a business license is illegal, as is unreported income, and unpaid gross receipts tax. Profit is anything greater than direct cost. At least with a real business, you can go there in person with any questions, comments, returns, etcetera, not to mention enlist the help of the BBB, distributorship that sells parts to the dealer, brand customer service, and you have whatever warranty may accompany the parts sold, either from the dealer or the manufacturer.

With Joe Blow you only get Joe Blow. Does Joe Blow stand behind his parts and/or service? What is his warranty or return policy, if any? What about a month, four months, a year later? What if his girlfriend dumps him and he skips town? If the part is defective or doesn't work will he send you another one free? If Joe Blow isn't a licensed business, or dealer, why not? :huh2:

I have nothing against the Joe Blows of the world, just don't mistakenly put them on the same level as a dealer, whatever reputation they may have. Joe Blow is a dude selling stuff out of his apartment. A dealer is a dealer. I will make my business decisions accordingly.

Have I ever had a bad business experience with a Joe Blow or dealer? Or a good experience? As sure as the sun rises.

I have nothing against anyone in particular, here, never did. I do, however, have direct experience with all parties in question.

As you may have guessed, I don't have the Power Commando, not on any of my three modified EFI bikes. They make just as much or more power as without it, and run great. Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! I bought the diagnostic/tuning software I have directly from TechnoResearch (www.technoresearch.com), and have received excellent, knowledgable support from them. BTW, a Joe Blow tried to get me to copy and send the VDSTS software to him years ago, but I did not. I let him go buy his own.

Correctiion: it is not illegal IN GENERAL to make a profit without a business license. Individuals and other entities can do so as long as the activity is lawful. It IS illegal to fail to file a tax return (assuming the amount is above the minimum threshhold under which a tax return is not required) to report the income, costs, profits, etc., and pay whatever taxes may be due.

I share your principle of rewarding those who deal with integrity and shunning those attempting to engage in copyright and/or trade secret infringement. At the same time, I'm also an advocate of free enterprise and entrepreneurship, so long as it's done legally and ethically.

I respect your right to an opinion, and that of others who may differ. The best defense against being disappointed by someone is to check references and ask questions.

Way off topic, and it sure is getting personal around here...

HOWEVER, for the record, Ed & I started GuzziTech.com back in late '01 out of a perceived interest by the Guzzi community. There must be a reason it currently gets over 35,000+ hits per month (with largely no direct benefit to us). Yes, of course, any one might quickly see that if there is a demand, and a hole in which to fill, one might act. The minuscule amounts of money that is made from our website is laughable, and don't even begin to try and factor in the time and dedication. So, on that note, everything David says above about the PCIIIs is very true. Silly me. If you think you do not need one, fine, move on. The data over the last 6+ years has spectacularly show otherwise.

Ed is an engineer by day, and I was a Pro Racer, turned Architect, turned AMA Pro Supermoto Series/Race Manager & Freelance Moto-Journalist (For Cycle World, Sportbike, Moto Euro and others). I have now begun investing time for an all new moto venture for next year, and with some luck, I hope the launch might coincide with the MGNOC National I am putting on here next year in Malibu (watch MGNOC.com -and/or- SoCal-Guzzi.com for details). Also, as the MGNOC SoCal Rep, I have invested thousands of hours (for absolute) free to the Guzzi community over the last 5+ years, and prior years while in Boston as the Mass Rep. I welcome any of you to do the same, with regard to any of the above, and see how much fun it isn't.

SO, if one wants to toss Ed & I to the lions for trying to "help" the Guzzi community and in turn making an extra buck or two for our hobby, go right ahead. It is attitudes like this, that really want to make you throw your hands up and move on. Seen it from many *real* Guzzi related business' too over the years. Everyone always asks about Dr. John... food for thought.

If anyone thinks that there is money to be made on anything Guzzi, they are LARGELY mistaken.

There you have it.

Guest ratchethack
If anyone thinks that there is money to be made on anything Guzzi, they are LARGELY mistaken.

Hold on there, Bubba. I hear tell of a grumpy ol' blaggard in Oz who's evidently single-handedly financed a thriving empire, including a beach resort and a yacht with hot & cold running nubile young cabin wenches, by fleecing an unsuspecting public, taking timing gears out of Guzzi's and replacing them with sprockets & chain. . . :grin:

Hold on there, Bubba. I hear tell of a grumpy ol' blaggard in Oz who's evidently single-handedly financed a thriving empire, including a beach resort and a yacht with hot & cold running nubile young cabin wenches, by fleecing an unsuspecting public, taking out alloy Guzzi timing gears and replacing them with sprockets & chain. . . :grin:

"Profits are the applause of happy customers", anonymous. :bier:

I stand behind my statements regarding the Power Commander and its utility. It's an unnecessary, aftermarket added complexity and a gimmick. The early EFI Guzzis had rideability issues, but post '98 or so the stock mapping is fairly good. Relocating the temp sensor from the LH valve cover to RH head helped tremendously. Remapping is an option, or modification of the stock map, however simply tuning the TPS/idle trim with the stock map is usually sufficient to cure most rideability problems. In fact, most of these are typically a result of improper/sloppy tuning, or improper valve clearance. There's a lot more adjustment available with the stock setup than most realize. We're just trained to think that "stock is bad" and buying this aftermarket doodad is the panacea. All the bikes with PC's make no more power than a stock ECU. It's a bogus name and a bogus claim. As far as I'm concerned, my right hand is my power commander.

I disagree. Stock is bad, even if better than previous fuel injected Guzzis, and better than many other fuel injected motorcycles. It is too rich in a few places and too lean in many others. I would be very surprised that if you hooked up a wide band oxygen sensor you saw good consistent lambda with nothing above a lean 14:1 air to fuel ratio at Wide Open Throttle. Add an aftermarket muffler and remove the airbox lid and the situation becomes worse. I saw 17:1 on my bike, after it was for the most part tuned to spec. Although I did not have software to adjust the trim to the proper idle CO, but my dealer had done that about a year or two before that, so the CO should have been roughly correct, and the trim would have had little effect above idle. To get access to the trim requires the use of $200+ software. To try and use the TPS to modify mixture enough to compensate for exhaust and intake modifications is a bad idea. The air bypass screws do little to change mixture. Some have adjusted the fuel pressure regulator, with out much success as it is simply a broad brush approach.

Running the engine with a 17:1 air:fuel ratio in one place was not good for it.

I had it mapped on a dyno and it ran much better. If the dyno operator was honest, I picked up as much as 6 horse power. But more importantly the throttle response was smoother and more consistent.

They did make it run too lean in one place where it tended to ping, and so the pinging got worse. I added more fuel there and it ran better than ever. This aspect of the experience made me somewhat of a sceptic of Wide Band Oxygen Sensor tuning. In "the ECU" thread Derrick Capito does an excellent job explaining why tuning by oxygen output is not ideal. But I still believe it will often yield excellent results most of the time, and it costs far less than paying for 4 hours of dyno time, tuning for power, with a 4 gas analysis. I suspect my experience was more of an anomaly due to my having a Quat-D exhaust. The oxygen sensor had to read two cylinders at once, and the probe could not go very deep. Where it leaned it out, one cylinder was probably running rich and the other lean. The meter saw oxygen and leaned it out. This also could have been a result of the probe not being in deep enough.

That was with an older serial PCIII. the newer USB PCIIIs can adjust the cylinders individually, but you might need to weld in some bungs to host the sensor if you had a 2 into 1 system like the Quat-D. Standard aftermarket mufflers should do fine with the standard probe up deep in the baffle.

The testimonials of people who are happy with the PCIIIs far out weighs the negative experiences.

The first power commander, PCI?, was known to be far inferior to the third generation PCIII.

Perhaps your opinion has been shaped by experiences with it.

Why do you think the PCIII does not make the bike run better? Please pretend to be a graduate trained life scientist when you answer :nerd: