oil filters

rac

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when UFI was having all the problems, (hose clamp, anyone?) I understand some Guzzis were shipped with the Bosch 3330. At any rate, they signed off on it. I think this was about 08? 

Using the Google box, I find Harley doods using the 3330 and 51215 interchangeably.  :huh2:  :)

I was able to get the WIX 51215 to come up for the 2000 H-D 883, but not the 1200.

1984-2007 H-D Sportster 883 ought to turn up a filter anywhere.

I have a WIX 51348 which is a cross referenced match to a Bosch 3330 and a Group7 V241 which I have successfully used in the past. On the same cross referencing site a WIX 51215 matches a UFI 2328700.

From WIX's site the 51348 has a smaller micron capacity than the 51215, 15 to 21 microns. Less burst pressure, 275 to 325 PSI and is described as enhanced cellulose material as opposed to cellulose of the 51215. Interestingly WIX describe the 51215 as Full Flow but not the 51348, however both have the same flow rate of 7 to 9 GPM.

Rob

All these filter reference numbers are fine but, if I go into a shop and ask for it, the first question will be "What vehicle does it fit?" and most places will not even have motorcycle-inclusive search engines.  Plus, I have the less than sneaking feeling that car filter prices will be substantially less than motorcycle ones - especially for HD.

All of the Transit 2.5 (91-00) and Transit Connect 1.8 (00->) diesels use a UFI filter that is very close to the recommended one for V11s.  23.280.00 as opposed to 23.287.00.  1.6 Austin Maestro/Montego petrol engines of the 80/90s use a filter which is identical to the one recommended for BB Guzzis at the time, although that number is now obsolete in the UFI reference book.

• 1 month later...

What is the latest wisdom as to which filter to use?

WIX 51215

It costs the same as a UFI from somewhere like MG Cycle.

That will work along with a multitude of others that cross reference to the original but it is ultimately up to you what you filter you fit along with your choice of oil.

Rob

• 2 years later...