Changing fork oil

ALdad

I will be doing 12k service over the holidays. What is the simplest procedure for changing the fork oil. How much do I put back in and what wt.5,7,10? what is the stock wt.? I will also be doing the cush drive mod. I will swiss cheese the rubbers, should I eliminate some of them as per recent post ? Cheer!! Alan

Guest ratchethack

Al, I did a "How to" write-up on the Marz 040 USD (your fork and mine) oil change awhile back:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=88967

As you will see in the following err, discussion, since there's considerable cost in having someone else do it (your choice, of course), the alternative being both effort and mess best suited for dedicated workshops, there are always some err, creative and amusing justifications for not doing it to the recommended schedule. . . :P

The dedicated DIY'er will opt for a careful job, knowing it's been done right, understanding the how's and why's. . . :thumbsup:

WRT the cush drive rubbers, if you're committed to swiss-cheesing 'em (wise move IMHO), I've found that using the full complement in aerated condition makes a significant difference to driveline feel. Under the semi-educated, common-sense assumption that "just enough" is "just right", and "too much" flex provides no benefit, and a doubling of the forces on half of them could promote early breakdown of the rubbers, I've not taken the option of taking any out ever since. I think it's been 3 or 4 years now, checking every other tire change, and they seem happy as clams. . .

BAA, TJM & YMMV B)