Belstaff Jackets

Orson

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now a serious question:

Given that I can ride in ambients with about a 60degree centigrade range over the year, I find it not too difficult to select clothing that is suitably protective for the given time. As long as all I am doing is riding the bike. Once I get off and start moving around, I very soon start to resemble a spouting whale with the steam isssuing from my collar.

Anyone come near to solving this dilemma?

Given that I can ride in ambients with about a 60degree centigrade range over the year, I find it not too difficult to select clothing that is suitably protective for the given time. As long as all I am doing is riding the bike. Once I get off and start moving around, I very soon start to resemble a spouting whale with the steam isssuing from my collar.

60 degrees? What? It gets to -20 and up to +40? In Sunderland? Good God! Times have changed!

I suggest moving out of Sunderland Mike :lol:

Pete

Yes, leave the nylons and bra at home.

Take your jacket off.

60 degrees? What? It gets to -20 and up to +40? In Sunderland? Good God! Times have changed!

I suggest moving out of Sunderland Mike :lol:

Pete

Only once each but I have ridden locally in the high minus teens and high plus 30s. The first one just to say that I had. It was, actually, less unpleasant than riding at 37 degrees. Normally, the range is more like 30 degrees. Which is bad enough.

Thanks, everyone, for the useful suggestions.

8-)

F@cking hell. Waxed bleeding cotton! as a FASHION STATEMENT!

God give me strength! If there was ever an argument that the 'Good old days' were only good because they are over waxed cotton is the exemplar!

It's vile, it doesn't work very well at keeping water out, it smells, it is a lousy insulator and if you're living in a squat in Camden and despatch riding in the day the mice eat it while you're asleep.

The only people who would consider wearing waxed cotton by choice are the members of the British Royal Family who are of course a.) Horribly inbred and b.) German. So they should be treated with either pity or scorn depending on your viewpoint.

I rode from Belgium to Wales in March in the early '80's on my Triumph wearing these poxy, crap garments and the ONLY reason I'm still alive to tell the tale is because I had a bloody great great-coat and stuffed the inside of my Belstaff's with days old copies of the 'Sun' newspaper, ( A truly un-great Organ Of Record!) for extra insulation, but only after I'd carefully cut out all the pics of Samantha Fox's tits as if they's got cold I would of been crushed to death by her nipples!

Pete

I know Pete is very good at expressing his point, with very colorful and sometimes very funny entries, and seems to take some enjoyment at 'pressing buttons'. I can see in his first entry here that he has some valid points on the waxed cotton jackets. I think Pete that you went too far by essentially saying that you shouldn't buy a waxed cotton jacket because of the endorsement of British Royal Family. Your words on the Royals kind of pissed me off, not because of what you said about them because I tend to take your comments with a large lump of salt and head shaking :vomit: , but that Jaap would not remove this entry. This kind of entry would most probably would not last 24 hrs before it disappeared from this forum, if it had come from someone other than yourself.

Getting back to the Belstaff jackets, of my 9 jackets, in my quest to find the ultimate jacket, I have 3 Belstaff, 1 of which is a mid-seventies version of the Trailmaster. This jacket matched with waxed cotton pants served me very well in my tour of the IOM, England, Scotland, and kept me dry the whole time. In fact the gloves were what let me down. Anyways, the smell can be eliminated with scent free waxing compound so that argument is empty. Yes it is a cool jacket, so layers are needed. I've never had mice entering my house looking to consume my jacket. I consider the trailmaster to be the best of the 3 Belstaffs I have, the other 2 nylon jackets are not worth buying, not because the British Family wears them, but because they just don't work very well.

Ciao, Steve

I know Pete is very good at expressing his point, with very colorful and sometimes very funny entries, and seems to take some enjoyment at 'pressing buttons'. I can see in his first entry here that he has some valid points on the waxed cotton jackets. I think Pete that you went too far by essentially saying that you shouldn't buy a waxed cotton jacket because of the endorsement of British Royal Family. Your words on the Royals kind of pissed me off, not because of what you said about them because I tend to take your comments with a large lump of salt and head shaking :vomit: , but that Jaap would not remove this entry. This kind of entry would most probably would not last 24 hrs before it disappeared from this forum, if it had come from someone other than yourself. Ciao, Steve

Do WHAT???? Look, I'm sorry if I offended you but, well, ????? Tough really. The comments were made humorously but truth be known I DO think the royals, all of 'em, from wherever, are a bunch of useless oxygen thieves. Regardless of that why the hell should Jaap take that post down? I used the royals simply as an aside in a little rant about how abhorent waxed cotton is/was. There are a billion far superior materials for building waterproof garments out of nowadays. Waxed cotton is in this day and age simply an affectation of over-monied cretins and fools! Every time we have a shower of rain here I see city yuppies strolling around in Drizabone waxed cotton coats all pretending to be the 'Man from Snowy f@cking River'! all the real stockmen wear plastic, just like motorbike riders, they aren't that dim!

While I accept that I was a bit out of order in my little rant the other day that got pulled I'll be buggered if I'm going to take this one lying down! C'mon Steve, it's a big bad world out here, full of people with differing opinions, learn to live with it. And why the hell do you think I get any different treatment from any other member? I'd sodding well hope I don't and can't think of any reason why I should????

Pete

Guest ratchethack
Do WHAT???? Look, I'm sorry if I offended you but, well, ????? Tough really.

Hey Pete.

If you haven't drawn a great walloping fullisade more ground fire than the above, I reckon you're:

a.) not getting close enough to the truth yet, :whistle:

and/or

b.) not having enough fun yet. :lol:

Keep up the good work, my friend. ;)

post-1212-1200161840_thumb.jpg

Oxygen thievery -- it's traditional, you know. . . Quite. :P:grin:

EDIT: Ack! I've just realized that I've used the American English definition of the word, "quite" above. Being merely a colonial barbarian, wot would you expect? ;)

British English would require me to state, "Oxygen thievery -- it's traditional, you know. . . Indubitably. :P:grin:

And why the hell do you think I get any different treatment from any other member? I'd sodding well hope I don't and can't think of any reason why I should????

Pete

Cos you're a yak? So allowances should be made for when you are ruminating.

Do WHAT???? Look, I'm sorry if I offended you but, well, ????? Tough really. The comments were made humorously but truth be known I DO think the royals, all of 'em, from wherever, are a bunch of useless oxygen thieves. Regardless of that why the hell should Jaap take that post down? I used the royals simply as an aside in a little rant about how abhorent waxed cotton is/was. There are a billion far superior materials for building waterproof garments out of nowadays. Waxed cotton is in this day and age simply an affectation of over-monied cretins and fools! Every time we have a shower of rain here I see city yuppies strolling around in Drizabone waxed cotton coats all pretending to be the 'Man from Snowy f@cking River'! all the real stockmen wear plastic, just like motorbike riders, they aren't that dim!

While I accept that I was a bit out of order in my little rant the other day that got pulled I'll be buggered if I'm going to take this one lying down! C'mon Steve, it's a big bad world out here, full of people with differing opinions, learn to live with it. And why the hell do you think I get any different treatment from any other member? I'd sodding well hope I don't and can't think of any reason why I should????

Pete

No problem Pete, I really don't care what you say, most of the time I get a great barrel laugh out of it. I'm just trying to figure out where the boundary is on this forum, the line seems to be moving around, and while I have been known to say stuff over the top, the filter I've had installed between my brain and my mouth is very uncomfortable, I want to rip the bloody thing out!!! :P

Ciao, Steve

I'm no fan of the royals, BUT I suggest an elected head of state might cost a bit more and be less saleable as part of that "heritage" thing.

Anyway, you jocks don't need to worry, keep voting for Alex and you will soon have your very own little bitty Ruritania in the undemocratic EU plutocracy. Carry on!

The Royal family are a bunch of freeloaders sooner we are a republic the better

Of course wax cotton jackets could never work without their TARTAN linings.