My Le Mans is dead

Foxy

Wow, Pete, your sudden concern for Foxy has turned into a pointless personal attack on me, how nice of you!

Not a personal attack Kevin but I'm afraid you are talking nonsense and it isn't going to help Foxy one bit to be confused by someone giving him inaccurate information. Broken bits of stuff can't 'Jingle Around' for thousands of miles in the combustion chamber and once a circlip has fallen out and passed down the side of the piston, (Which in itself will cause serious damage.) the gudgeon pin will slide out of the piston in seconds and do very serious damage to the bore. The gudgeon pin, at operating temperature, is a sliding fit in both the piston and the little end bush. Because of the forces acting on the piston and the speed with which it is moving it will slide to one of other side of the piston and score the bore in seconds if the circlip goes AWOL. I suppose it *could* conceivably remain in longer if there was some damage to the piston that prevented it sliding all the way out once the circlip had come out but the possibility is remote.

Misinformation is a dangerous thing. Especially for the novice mechanic. I think I can stand on my record of giving helpful and accurate advice to people. Your opinions may be different to mine, that's fine, I'm just glad you didn't build my bikes :lol:

pete

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for crashing the party this late, but I feel an urge to state that I'll agree with Pete's opinions:

Loose wristpins WILL cause damage in a short time
    If you know the Guzzi engine, you really want to check the big end shells first - its the most common problem when you find this kind of debree in the sump.
    If you can follow Pete's instructions, think, an ask polite questions on a guzzi forum, you can rebuild a Guzzi engine without being a trained mechanic

Just my 2 cents :D

/Jens Lyck

www.guzzitech.dk/english

1100 Sporti

My16M + LC1 wideband sensor

Moto Guzzi Wrist Watch #001

Sorry for crashing the party this late, but I feel an urge to state that I'll agree with Pete's opinions:

Loose wristpins WILL cause damage in a short time

If you know the Guzzi engine, you really want to check the big end shells first - its the most common problem when you find this kind of debree in the sump.

If you can follow Pete's instructions, think, an ask polite questions on a guzzi forum, you can rebuild a Guzzi engine without being a trained mechanic

I agree with Pete as well. I once had a Honda that lost the clip and the wrist pin moved into the bore creating quite a gouge. The offending clip was ground to bits, nowhere to be found. I'm sure it was mixed with the rest of the metal in the sump. The heavy oil smoke alerted me to the trouble but found no metal "jingling around" in the combustion chamber.

It's tough to fathom a couple of things here. First, how someone would know they were riding a bike for thousands of miles with a loose wrist pin clip. Second, why someone would continue to ride for thousands of miles with that knowledge. :huh2:

. . . I find this exhange, your statements . . . pointless. . . .

I certainly don't find these exchanges 'pointless.'

Simply put, it will be good to see what comes of the tear-down, regardless of who does it, to see what pitched the slivers into the sump. No matter how you slice it, that ain't right.

I certainly don't find these exchanges 'pointless.'

So, calling Kevin's statements "bollocks" is not pointless?

Care to enlighten us as to why we should be so rude to one another?

How can you defend such behavior?

Just because Pete is the most brilliant Guzzi wrench on the planet does not mean he is infallible, nor does it mean his rude behavior should be encouraged.

I determined that the wrist pin clip was loose from a previous rebuild, done a year or so earlier, in a poorly lit, makeshift garage, which was all I could afford at the time, as a poor college student 15+ years ago... We all make mistakes, but we don't have to make insulting statements directed at each other. Your intent here, obviously, is not to help someone, but to slander me personally. That is in poor taste, and revealing of your character. :moon:

How is this exchange helping Foxy or anybody else on this board? I'm no threat to you, Roper, I really don't like Converts or drink beer... :lol:

Quite frankly, I find most of your posts full of unnecessary comments that are off topic from the original post, in an attempt at self-flattery and grandstanding. I'm on this list because it's usually enjoyable, entertaining, and I honestly do have an interest in helping others. I have no commercial interest here, just a personal one.

Lifelong, 50+ year mechanics I've known (and you couldn't hold a candle to) were humble enough to admit their humanity and learn from their mistakes. I find this exhange, your statements, and your attitude petty, vain, and pointless. Turn water into wine for us, walk on water... :P

:lol::lol::lol: Does the term 'Get a grip' mean anything. As I said before. I stand by my record of the help I've given others, for no financial reward, over the years. Oddly enough I'm usually right and if I'm not I'll always 'fess up. As for the 'Self flattery and grandstanding' remark? Mate, I'm over 50, I'm fat, ugly and like beer and Converts so no, a miserable wowser like you would never understand.

Thing is that I don't have to agree with people on everything. I'm poles apart from Ratchet but I'm sure I could sit with him and have a beer. Likewise Dave Laing and I could probably have a ding-dong but at the end of the day we'd agree to disagree. And how exactly are you different from me in not havinga a financial interest? That's a curly one :grin: . I'm going to make a packet out of giving good advice and advising people to work on their own machines? Surely if I was being venal I'd be suggesting Foxy send his engine to me! Oh, sorry, there is probably some bizzare conspiracy theory at work here that I have yet to cotton on to. When you work it out please tell me so I can undertand it.

Note Kevin. I have NOT attacked you, personally, or in any other way. If I'd said "Kevin is a know-nothing wanker who couldn't find his nut-sack in his pockets" that would be a personal attack. All I've done is state that I think that your opinions are ill informed and counter productive and have offered MY explanation of why they are so. There may be a problem in the fact that I tend to use the Oz vernacular when I post but, once again, get over it. Your own particular cultural norms are NOT universal. None of the terms I have used in any of these messages, (Apart from the example of a derogatory statement above.) would be seen as anything other than normal parlance between blokes having a discussion where I come from. 'World Wide Web', Not 'Uptight, can't pull my head out of my arse south western USA web' Go with the flow and accept that people are different and express themselves in different ways. A whole new world will open up before you!

Personally I think you're trolling but, yeah, 'whatever' as you young people say.

Pete

The items in the sump are a mixture of ferrous and non ferrous, can't say too much more as I haven't cleaned them or done anything more than pass a magnet over them. They vary in size from less than 1mm to about 3mm, of which there are hundreds to a couple of large shavings that are about an inch long. What I do know is that they were not in there when I changed the oil and filter a thousand or so miles ago. And that the engine is therefore really not well. I'm still not sure what caused the poor running previous to this but as it ran better after flushing the fuel system brought about an improvement and I haven't yet put any fresh petrol in I'm not convinced this is directly related to the contents of my sump. I do know that the battery is definitely past it and have wondering if this is responsible for part of the problem. The noisy running persisted for a short time before me coming to a halt, at which point the battery wasn't up to even turning the motor over. On a fresh jump pack it started up on the second thumb of the button. When it sounded absolutely horrific, prompting both me and the recovery chap to leap towards the kills switch.

My plan so far is simply to investigate what I can as simply as I can. I'll be making a start by removing the heads and barrels and inspecting the state of the rods and big end. Mercifully these engines don't require dropping the engine, splitting the cases and then splitting the crank to do so. But I'm not in an enormous hurry as thankfully I have a couple of other bikes to keep me mobile.

You know Foxy, it may not have anything to do with any crash you may have been in. I've personally seen the results of 2 newer M.G. 1100's with no abuse pound their big ends over a series of a yr each, simply the result of lack of cleanliness of the original build. And yes, there was 'swarf' here & there in the case afterwards.

Remember, these parts inside an M.G. engine base their life on basic machining principals, and a big principal is cleanliness, as well as basic tolerances of machining, not some magical GUZZI machining only known to them. Fact is, hand assembled engines have a risk of contamination that automated engine assembly does not. We're not talking easily visual crap either.

Ciao, Steve

BTW, I've also seen wrist pin cir-clips come loose, do the jump about on the cylinder wall, and have the wrist pin not move. I've seen a .125,000" groove in the cylinder wall, and the engine still ran without any audibal sound issues. Never say never people, check the fucking egos at the door!

Thing is that I don't have to agree with people on everything. I'm poles apart from Ratchet but I'm sure I could sit with him and have a beer. Likewise Dave Laing and I could probably have a ding-dong but at the end of the day we'd agree to disagree.

Bollocks!

Ding Dongs are too sweet.

But I'll gladly have a beer with you as long as you don't keep refering to it as Yak piss.

I am sure you and Kevin could enjoy a kettle of tea, while arguing about what order to put the milk in, etc.

No doubt the amount of money that you have made in shloppage shleets is probably not enough to pay you US minimum wage for the time you put into designing, outsourcing, QCing, packing and shipping the sheeets.

"-Remember that tea is to be sipped, not slurped and not used to wash down a large bite of food. Swallow your food before you sip your tea. One should always try a little of each course and while doing so avoid talking with his/her mouth full. That is why it is important to take dainty bites."

http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/tea-etiquette.html

But Dave! I'm the man who financed a sppedboat on the enormous profits I make from selling UFI oil filters.

Further campaigns of mis-information are soon coming to fruition and after these I expect to have my own personal space station! I might have to baulk at wearing the tinfoil hat though and I'm told that that is vital if you want to keep the Klingons at bay :o

Pete

Be sure to use a hose clamp to keep the tinfoil hat in place. Klingons are sticklers for redundancy.

Bollocks!

In all my years sitting here in this wired cage one mile underground where 'the man' can't touch, I have NEVER had my tinfoil hat fall off. But for those of you that can actually bend over far enough touch your toes, and are total spasms or spazzes or whatever the word is, MAYBE it is a problem and you need to chain it to your ugly nose ring.

But Dave! I'm the man who financed a sppedboat on the enormous profits I make from selling UFI oil filters.

Further campaigns of mis-information are soon coming to fruition and after these I expect to have my own personal space station! I might have to baulk at wearing the tinfoil hat though and I'm told that that is vital if you want to keep the Klingons at bay :o

Pete

We from Tralfamadore (Not Remulac!!! <_ wear tinfoil hats and use toilet paper to keep the klingons at bay.>

I won't charge you for this valuable tip, but a contribution from all that benefitted from this tip can be sent to 'the man' (Jaap via PayPal)

You can most definitely expect me to stand up for myself (both online and in person), so however it shakes out is groovy by me. I've got better things to do than look for trouble. How about you?

Oh goody! Threats of violence! First refuge of the hopeless! :lol: (Yawn!)

Oh, and seeing as I'm an atheist I would hardly say I'm god's gift to anything or anybody :grin: I've helped a lot of people over the years though whereas you simply spend your time carping and moaning AND giving out inaccurate info. I haven't seen you say anything actually dangerous yet but the attitude of 'It's OK for ME to work on MY bikes but they are far too complex for Mere Mortals' grates a bit.

Foxy is going to take a huge bath if he sells his bike as a blown up munter. If he fixes it he can sell it and make back most of what he's put into it. Alternatively he can keep it and thoroughly enjoy it.

Pete