Is there a repair or fix for flaking bubbling engine case paint?

Thunderpaugh

Does anyone know of a repair for the apparently common problem of the bubbling or flaking crinkle coating paint on the engine cases of some of the '02 models? This would be a repair with the engine still in the bike, and not removing the engine, or dissambling it to re-paint. I heard a causal reference made to a paint made or sold by Harley Davidson that is being use to fix the flaking problem on Guzzi engine cases. Can someone verify this is true, and if so, provide details how to do it, or how it should be done. Or has anyone done it, and what were the results? Has anyone tried to repair the paint by any method? What works and what doesn't?

All in all, what is the general consensus about the engine case paint problem, and how does it affect the value of the bike?

Does anyone know of a repair for the apparently common problem of the bubbling or flaking crinkle coating paint on the engine cases of some of the '02 models? This would be a repair with the engine still in the bike, and not removing the engine, or dissambling it to re-paint. I heard a causal reference made to a paint made or sold by Harley Davidson that is being use to fix the flaking problem on Guzzi engine cases. Can someone verify this is true, and if so, provide details how to do it, or how it should be done. Or has anyone done it, and what were the results? Has anyone tried to repair the paint by any method? What works and what doesn't?

All in all, what is the general consensus about the engine case paint problem, and how does it affect the value of the bike?

When I crashed my bike and was waiting for emergency to come, firefighters arrived and immediately asked me and my friends if they should splash my bike with water, as it seemed as burning to them. I asked why? Because of the cranking paint on the engine :)

Yes, estethic suffer with this paint but I really like those plops when I shut engine and listen :)

:grin:

Do a search on harley davidson crinkle paint, a friend of mine used it on his engine still in the frame just by masking off surrounding areas with old newspapers (done outside) and did a very good job. :thumbsup:

Gary :bier:

I have seen bikes with custom crinkle paint jobs on them. There are places that specialize in doing that kind of paint if you call around body shops or try a custom bike place. The bikes that I did see that had the wrinkle paint on the frames etc, the work was very very cool looking. The first thing I thought was man I want that on my bike! And theres nothing wrong with the wrinkle paint on mine. Its just the aftermarket jobs are so much better. If you dont mind spending the extra money to get a pro to do it your bike will look beyond cool.

I did this on one side of mine last winter. Harley sells the paint for about $12/can. I chipped off as much of the flaking stuff as possible w/ a flat plastic putty knife and feathered down the rest to get rid of any edges. If you prep the surface properly and follow the temperature recommendations on the can it works pretty well. It's not exactly the same finish, but looks better than it did. I did hear somewhere that Harley also sells a 'Texture' paint (vice 'wrinkle') that might match better.

Just a word of warning on the wrinkle finish paints. I had a '78 HD Lowrider that came stock with wrinkle paint on the cases. It is almost impossible to keep it clean and black because all the dust and roadgrime gets in EVERY wrinkle, and is very hard to get ALL of it clean. Luckily, I care to ride WAY more than if my bike is spotless on the sidestand! :D This paint is not a problem mind you, just annoying to the riders dedicated to a CLEAN bike, Ride on! And at 75 mph, in the rain, nobody will see it anyway! :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

I masked off my Scura engine, carefully sandblasted it and painted it with HD Texture paint. It looks great. Thats been a couple of years ago now. If you blast the cases, be very careful and mask everything well and cover any hole where sand can infiltrate. You may want to experiment with the texture paint first. Try using 2 or 3 non-heavy coats to build up the texture.