roper plate revisited

Dan M

Dan or anyone else who's interested.

I had a huge clean out of my workshop yesterday and among the assorted munt I found a couple of sloppage sheets. As I said, I've got another batch on order but if anyone wants one NOW i can supply.

Pete

I'll take 1 Pete.Just need your phone number 4 credit card reasons.If thats ok.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll take 1 Pete.Just need your phone number 4 credit card reasons.If thats ok.

Mark, I don'tr usually do credit cards, I have to use Graham's EFTPOS machine and they slug you some silly amount for the priveledge. Just send me a cheque for $165 and I'll stick one in the mail.

Pete Roper

POB 102

Bungendore NSW 2621.

Don't forget to include an return address!!!!

Pete

Mark, I don'tr usually do credit cards, I have to use Graham's EFTPOS machine and they slug you some silly amount for the priveledge. Just send me a cheque for $165 and I'll stick one in the mail.

Pete Roper

POB 102

Bungendore NSW 2621.

Don't forget to include an return address!!!!

Pete

:thumbsup: Money order do as I don't have a cheque book

Those Western Union money orders are great! Have to go to one of their concessions with the magic number, but bango! Cash available world wide within minutes of the sending party's order. No banks playing games with "clearing" delay while they use our money interest free, and the fees are low. For small amounts, beats checks any day, and worth the drive to a concession. In my area it's quite rural, and yet there are 3 within a 10 mile radius. One is at UPS, another at a petrol station, and another at a supermarket.

For objective proof the Roper Plates are worthwhile, see the "pressure guage adapted" thread for test results. Nice work, Pete.

:bier:

Dan or anyone else who's interested.

I had a huge clean out of my workshop yesterday and among the assorted munt I found a couple of sloppage sheets. As I said, I've got another batch on order but if anyone wants one NOW i can supply.

Pete

Good Pete. No one on this side of the pond has responded so I can put a check in the mail Monday morning. Is a US check OK? How much in US $ ?

Wow Pete this sucks. :bbblll:

Pete if I had done what you did and didn't get reimbersed ,I certainly wouldn't be as magnanimous as you are .I'd be yelling from the highest mountain,with a mega-phone,on fire to stay away from this,er ah,..person :moon: , and not do business with him.

Unfortunately as Americans, most of us dont know or care to know where Australia is,don't realize how long of a plane ride is,and how expensive a ticket cost.Not to mention the lay out of parts and time,this is a terrible situation.I think most of us are sympathetic,and feel for ya.

The karma gods will make things right again. :rasta:

PS I'll be putting a Plate on in the spring. :thumbsup:

"I've pulled my response..."
Fair enough.

Shucks, I don't sign in for a day & I've missed something! I hate it when that happens! :angry:

Can't a guy take even one day off? ;)

Ah well, at least it seems to have ended amicably. :bier:

Ride on,

:mg:

Guest NotRight
I just read the thread posted by Ratchethack and now I am scared!

My oil light DID start flashing once under hard acceleration (the bike probably had about 1K miles at the time). I immediately shut the engine off and coasted to a stop. After checking the oil level and seeing it was ok I restarted the bike and it seemed fine. Just to be on the safe side I rode it home and took my truck to work that day.

I now have 9K trouble free miles on the bike but after reading Pete's thread I am very worried about what damage I may have done and when it might rear its ugly head!

Any thoughts on this? Does the collective wisdom of this board predict dire consequences in my future or do you think I am OK? I think I will install one of Pete's plates. Just hope the horses are not already out of the barn!

Thanks.

I was riding my 04 Cafe Sport the first summer I had it (06) and had a similar issue. I probably had closer to 1500 miles on it. Was giving it a hand ful to get away from traffic - saw light flash - crapped pants - pulled over and checked the oil. It was a bit low so I topped it up and took it easy. End of summer had full maintenance and mechanic dropped the pan and looked around - no obvious metal particles etc. Now have about 3700 miles and no issues.

I check the oil more often now and may buy a Roper sheet. But I just quit my career so $$ is a bit tight.

I wish I knew what else I want to do for a job/career. I'd like to get paid to just ride my Guzzi and visit friends and places.

Although if you know anyone rich that wants to fund a pet project I have a roughed out project to build a 500cc water cooled V8 motorcycle engine - and want to build a modern version of the old V8 goose. I can do it. Would be a little screamer though....

Guest NotRight
I'd love to know who started teaching this "Stomp on the pedal, listen to the engine wheeze and groan, wait till iit starts to pick up, change up and repeat" system of driving. It's universal.

I scrolled a little farther thank goodness, because Ratch and this comment made me burst out laughing...... A dear older female relative of mine drove this way with her Golf for years no matter what I and my uncles said to her..... I think it is an organic problem. They do have two X chromosomes afterall.

Guest NotRight
If you aren't aware of the dipstick marking question, here is a quick summary: When I refilled my sump with 3.5 liters, the level was still about 0.23" vertically below the gasket, and about 0.69" above the full mark with dipstick screwed in. I did a test before installation of the Roper Plate with a 4 quart refill. In first gear from a rolling start, accelerating at full throttle without doing a wheelie, my oil pressure gauge took a dive towards zero when I hit about 5,000 RPM. That's even with a little more oil than the 3.5 liter spec in my manual.

Pete recommends filling up to just under the plate, as I recall. That would correspond to 0.33+0.69= 1.02" above the full mark. I haven't figured out how much oil that would take, but it's more than 4 quarts.

Here's a picture during my installation:

DipstickRoper.jpg

Where's your hose clamp? Did it fall off? B)

Guest ratchethack
I scrolled a little farther thank goodness, because Ratch and this comment made me burst out laughing...... A dear older female relative of mine drove this way with her Golf for years no matter what I and my uncles said to her..... I think it is an organic problem. They do have two X chromosomes afterall.

After doing battle with this one for decades and getting nowhere, I finally concluded that the sound of a motor building enough RPMs to just start to approach (but not yet get into) the bottom of the powerband is irritating to feminine audio nerve sensitivities. It has to be be a certain harmonic range they can't tolerate. Men apparently have no such sensitivity to this range of sound wotsoever. It's like a dog whistle. However, the horriffic clattering, detonating, groaning, bucking lamentations of a motor upshifted to 2nd gear before halfway through an intersection when the light turns green at just above idle RPM, when the clutch is let out and throttle opened wide, is somehow quite satisfying to the feminine mystique. . . :huh2:

Where's your hose clamp? Did it fall off? B)

:lol: Very funny!

Perhaps you haven't seen the incredibly long and anal investigation I made into the cause of filters coming loose. The result of this was the oil filter tightening thread in the FAQ section.

Hose clamp? ... Hose clamp?! I don't need no steeenking hose clamp! :angry: I use a Purolator filter and tighten using the turns method. :thumbsup::lol: