Tyres

Guest Nogbad

Well like most here I don't like to take a chance, but neither do i want some arbitrary sell by date on my rubber!

I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. There is a lot of working out to do before it gets enacted. For example: the retailer buys a tyre. It sits in stock for 18months before someone buys it. Would you pay full retail price if you knew it had 18 months less life than a fresh tyre? Who is going to keep stock of unusual, low volume sizes (that's _all_ motorcycle tyres , btw) when they might lose money on them because of poor turnover?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. There is a lot of working out to do before it gets enacted. For example: the retailer buys a tyre. It sits in stock for 18months before someone buys it. Would you pay full retail price if you knew it had 18 months less life than a fresh tyre? Who is going to keep stock of unusual, low volume sizes (that's _all_ motorcycle tyres , btw) when they might lose money on them because of poor turnover?

Exactafavorious. On top of that, some of the big mfgr's lately tend to upgrade specific models with incremental engineering and design improvements well within an 18 month window. Just my take on it, but in wot I refer to as "The Golden Age of Moto Tires", best NEVER buy tires from local distributor stock, or you risk not only pre-aged tires, but OBSOLETE tires. ALWAYS order 'em as "direct" as possible on an "as needed" basis. This way, you're ensured the leatest & greatest hoops. :thumbsup:

Ain't nothin' like the smell of "oven fresh" tires on a clear day after a rain. . . :race:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

Since the tire subject is out there Iam in the market for a new set of tires any ideas what brands to stay away from. who sells for best price things of that nature. I like the mich but iam leaning towards pirell

thanks Brent

Bridgestone Bt014 works really well on the V11, and if you have the larger rear wheel, the BT002R/S is the bomb! Nice firm carcass, dual compound, really nice profile, and ultra grippy.

dk

Bridgestone Bt014 works really well on the V11, and if you have the larger rear wheel, the BT002R/S is the bomb! Nice firm carcass, dual compound, really nice profile, and ultra grippy.

dk

Would agree been runing 014's much better than 020's turns in better far more stable

Would agree been runing 014's much better than 020's turns in better far more stable

The 020 has been replaced, it was an old tire. The new BT021 is a great tire if you want more mileage. It works amazing well for a sport touring tire.

dk

Well like most here I don't like to take a chance, but neither do i want some arbitrary sell by date on my rubber!

I take your point, but really it is more of a 'use by' date......

Equally unacceptable though.....

There are many variables, but as there are only two small patches of 'rubber' composites here.......

I would err on the side of caution.

Nige. B)

Ain't nothin' like the smell of "oven fresh" tires on a clear day after a rain.

The Dunlop factory around the corner has just closed shop. Don't think it made tyres but occasionally we would get a whiff of "green" rubber.

Revolting.......

I think 5 years is a good round number, but that obviously depends on how the bike was stored, ridden, temps, humidity, direct sunlight, etc.

Tires are the thing keeping you from direct bodily contact with the ground. I'd go with caution being the better part of valor.

dk

I believe that the general idea behind a good, round number is to avoid lengthy discussions about storage, temps, humidity, sunlight and riding skills when being pulled over by the "officer in charge"... ;)

Since the tire subject is out there Iam in the market for a new set of tires any ideas what brands to stay away from. who sells for best price things of that nature. I like the mich but iam leaning towards pirell

thanks Brent

Hey Brent,

I love the Pirelli Stradas. Terrific grip wet & dry. Very predictable at the limits. I put a set of Metzlers Z6 on my BMW and the traction & handling traits were similar. I did wear them out more quickly but the bike weighs substantially more than a V11. I just replaced those with Continental Road Attacks. Can't comment on them until the snow clears.

I usually buy from thses guys: http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm -good service & inventory, fair prices.

• 1 month later...
well on a side note to thise discussion which tires would be best for some colder weather riding? The Guzzi rides so well in the colder weather I think I'll use it more on the colder days and commuting and the Aprillia for the hot fast weekend rides. I really don't want to fall down again, anyone know of some good sub 50F degree tires. :huh:

Diablo Stradas

Anybody any experience with the newest Diablo Rosso?

http://www.pirelli.it/web/motorcycle/diabl...eo/default.page

I'm contemplating these when (if) my Marvic wheels arrive. I'm afraid of too short tread life and poor wet performance, so I may go with the regular Diablo. I'm thinking it's inbetween the Rosso and the Strada in terms of life vs performance.