Departure Lounge

Guest Nogbad

Dear Friends,

You will probably have read my latest postings, and will realise that I have already broken the terms of my probation.

Before the sky falls on my head, I would like to thank all of you for a truly memorable discussion board experience. It has been a great ride with shared experiences of biking and other parts of life, lively technical and POLITICAL discussion and all in all a rich and rounded experience. I would count all of you as friends that have participated with me in being here, you know who you are. Ratchet and Dlaing - you are both great guys, and the world would be poorer without you, as would the Guzzi world. I don't think you did anything unreasonable.

So many more of you deserve a mention, but it would make my post too long, and I have never been one to try the patience of my readers.

Unfortunately I really don't think I will be able to live under the new regime, but I do recognise that it is a privately hosted board, and that the board owner is entitled to make whatever changes to the rules he sees fit. As a participant however, I don't have to like it, and I don't.

If my local baker from whom I frequently buy an almond croissant were to remove the filling from my pastries, because he became offended by marzipan maybe, I would be forced to go elsewhere for the same flavour at breakfast. The same goes for this board, which may become a rather thinner cup of cocoa henceforth.

So, apologies to any I have offended, and here's wishing you all a long and prosperous life and safe riding.

I thought I would post this now in case I lose the opportunity if my departure were forced.

Anyone who wants to, please feel free to keep in touch via gmarcuscarroll <that silly little A thing> hotmail dot com and by IM at the same address B)

You're kidding, you like marzipan? With breakfast???

yeah! What's wrong with marzipan. I'm very partial to anything with it in, or almonds themselves for that matter. Makes a great breakfast item with a good cup of coffee!

Guest frankdugo

these are the times that try mens souls. think everybody should just take a moment to relax.this is really a great forum.thanks japp! this is much more intresting than reality tv.

You're kidding, you like marzipan? With breakfast???

Carl, they can get real marzipan over there, made w/ bitter almonds.

The drug co.s made the USDA force the U.S. farmers to cut all theirs down, 'cause they don't want us getting any vitamin B17 [or whatever # it is, the one that's the cancer preventative. Same thing as in Laetrile?, I think, only if you start taking it after you've been diagnosed w/ some honking great stomach tumour like Steve McQueen, it's already too late...]

But unless I miss my guess, they can still get the real deal across the Pond, made w/ bitter almonds, so it's not so disgustingly sweet as the marzipan we get here made w/ sweet almonds. REAL ALMONDY, you know? ;)

Guest ratchethack

Nog, best wishes to you, my friend. Thanks for your PMs, we'll certainly be in touch.

Sorry I hadn't responded more quickly. My inbox has been filled to unmanageability with more Forum PMs since I "went on trial by popularity poll" -- by far more PMs than the entire 4 years of my membership here -- every single one very positive expressions of good friends made here over the years, adding to friends lists, etc. Many are guys wishing to trade emails in the event this board shuts down. My apologies for not getting back to everybody right away, and thanks again for the sincere friendship.

I reckon there's a significant message right there in the wake of this little clambake. . . :huh2:

The atmosphere is immediately more choked on the Forum today than at any time I can recall since I started frequenting this board 5 years ago. Since politics is literally "the lives of people under government", and (for the most part!) we all qualify (!), how things move forward from here on anything like a positive note "under probation" with political topics (and I presume any mention thereof), as well as "certain" unspecified tone of voice of wirtten expression VERBOTEN in a Presidential election year here in the US is pretty much an open powderkeg waiting for another errant spark, the way I see things, but that's just me.

Is my tone of voice politically correct enough today? At some point I have to expect it's certainly not likely to be, and probably sooner than later. . .

Brings to mind the enforced slience of the prison cafeteria from the movie, "Escape from Alcatraz". . .

But like I've always said, It's Jaap's board, and we participate only as privileged guests -- and that's still exactly as it should be -- no sarcasm intended.

This "departure lounge" you opened up here seems the most comfortable place on the Forum at present, Nog -- but seems likely I'll be following you "over the wall" soon -- that is, assuming I'm left with a choice.

Rgds.,

Cdr. Hatchracket, likely "short-timer" -_-

Well,

I feel kind of left out here, as I never did receive a copy of what is being sent around. I count myself as someone who could be considered abrupt in a forum, to a point, mnuch they way I am in real life, not one of the worst or best, kind of in the middle of this fine group. So I guess I should kind of expect one??

I hope this is just a well timed wake up notice rather than a probation with a possible termination. I kind of miss those global warming threads, although I can only imagine how much time Ratchet spends on them, instead of riding. Must be a real typer, or a fast copy & paste guy.

I'm off motorcycle riding in Mexico for 2 wks, so I hope all is well with the forum when I check in again, and see the same "lettered faces" digging up stuff to chat about. I hope I'm still on board myself. I've never been kicked off a forum before.

Ciao, Steve

The drama goes on. The phrase 'I have never been so insulted in all my life springs to mind!!!'. I don't seem to remember much support for people who cried 'foul' before. They were told to 'lighten up', 'free speech', 'it's only a bike forum' and 'others are much worse' (I paraphrase). Now when a blanket email goes out people take it as a targeted personal affront. I just don't get it. Maybe I should get out more.

The rules of this forum clearly state no politics. For years some people here have talked politics, & Jaap has, mostly, let it go, only intervening when things got nasty, personal or the whole thing started to disappear up it's own arse. He even created a forum here for the non-bike stuff. It's disingenuous to suggest this has happened simply because people are talking politics. Recently there's more stuff that is just vitriolic personal attacks, repetetive sarcasm, condescension etc etc. Last year, I came here less & less cos it seemed even the tech threads were everytime getting infected with it, like some virus. Sure, I guess it's entertaining for some, like watching a car crash, but like a soap or reality show, it leaves you feeling like you eaten something bad. So something's really hacked Jaap off & he's fired off an intrusive email, probably at, mostly, the wrong people. I dunno exactly what triggered it, but I've seen enough of the way he conducts himself to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's put a lot of effort into creating & maintaining this place. He's told us the limits, if you can't play by his rules, you're free to go play somewhere else.

This forum is a valuable resource for all of us. Thanks for all your work Jaap. Take it easy!

KB

I don't plan on departing, but am visiting here to express good wishes to those who do leave.

I learn from those I disagree with, too. And I'm certainly not in any situation to disagree with almost anyone here regarding these Italian cycles we ride and the best way of repairing or modifying them. If I hadn't discovered this place, I may never have bought the LeMans ( hmmmm, thinking about how "wise" that turned out to be ;) ).

Thanks to everyone who decides to move on. There are other forums out there, and maybe a new one in the works.

Peace and God Bless,

Patrick

Hey Jaap could have yanked the Hooters thread early on. Instead, he put in some restraints (good ones in my opinion) and continues to allow us some entertainment and (occasionally) excitement on this thread. :bier:

Thanks for that Jaap and thanks for the entire site. :thumbsup:

....and I'm not even a Guzzi owner anymore (well I do have a jersey and cap).