'04 Nero Corsa vs '02 LeMans

Lamedog

So after two years my '02 LeMans is at 21k miles and well sorted out; Roper Plate, TL centerstand, brand-spankin-new MG Ti pipes, Wilbers fork springs, head and tail light flashers, an MRA touring screen and plastics are in great shape. Along comes Sparky's '04 Nero Corsa; 8k miles and mostly bone stock; Ohlins, front crossover pipe, PCIII and a Rich Maund seat.

I'm considering the change if the plastics are in good shape - I always liked the Corsa. Would move much of my aftermarket stuff to the Corsa and sell the LeMans in spring. Staying away from price, I'm interested in opinions of the pro's/con's of the change and what bits would you swap? Shoul I keep the front crossover or dump it? Would Ti pipes and ECU from an '02 fit an '04? - or did the front crossover make such a difference that this wouldn't work - or require an extensive remap with the PCIII?

Perhaps this will be more interesting than my groaning about U-joints.

So after two years my '02 LeMans is at 21k miles and well sorted out; Roper Plate, TL centerstand, brand-spankin-new MG Ti pipes, Wilbers fork springs, head and tail light flashers, an MRA touring screen and plastics are in great shape. Along comes Sparky's '04 Negro Corsa; 8k miles and mostly bone stock; Ohlins, front crossover pipe, PCIII and a Rich Maund seat.

I'm considering the change if the plastics are in good shape - I always like the Corsa. Would move much of my aftermarket stuff to the Corsa and sell the LeMans in spring. Staying away from price, I'm interested in opinions of the pro's/con's of the change and what bits would you swap? Shoul I keep the front crossover or dump it? Would Ti pipes and ECU from an '02 fit an '04? - or did the front crossover make such a difference that this wouldn't work - or require an extensive remap with the PCIII?

Perhaps this will be more interesting than my groaning about U-joints.

Well if your '02 were a Tenni, the choice would be obvious :D . Would you mind commenting on the TL centerstand installation and use, as well as ground clearance? Was it something you would do again? Thanks.

The Nero looks great and has nice Ohlins at both ends. You could paint your bike and add Ohlins suspension front & rear, and would have essentially the same bike, but good luck finding the parts. No I won't sell you my Ohlins shock ^_^ . I think a factory special bike like the Nero will always be worth more than a LeMans that's been modded up by an owner too.

On the other hand, you know if your bike has or hasn't ever blinked it's oil light on a hard take off. That's an unknown on a used bike. Also, the header pipes on Sparky's bike are darker than any that I've ever seen. Is that due to heat? Has it been running really lean? That's a question for someone other than me...

If you decide to go for it the Ti pipes will switch over no problem. I think the ECU's should stay matched with the header pipes.

Here's a link to Sparky's Nero picture. I don't think I've ever seen header pipes so dark.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ost&id=7688

Most or all of the incentive it is the OHLINs. I'm 210 in riding gear and content with the fork after the spring and spacer change. Never have got the rear shock dialed in, and reluctant to put the money in required to fix it. I suppose just being OHLINs doesn't mean the spring rates are correct. Interested in if others have found spring rates on the OHLINs better for normal people than the stock LeMans with Marzocchi/White Power?

As for the centerstand, pro's are simplified maintenance (certainly along the roadside), cons are weight and limits on crossover selection (Mistral works, Stucchi not). It would take a lot of carbon bits to offset the weight, but on this bike who are we kidding? I haven't found lean angle an issue. The bikes apart at the moment or I'd tell you what would likely hit first (I suspect stock position cans). A shopstand would have been an acceptable alternate, but I found trying to level the bike for maintenace/oil changes with blocks under the sidestand is very hard on turn signals and side view mirrors.

About the ecu, if the corsa has a lambda, then the ecu from the ti pipes won't work. But maybe the pc is enough to get a nice bike without evu swap.

Thanks Paul, I haven't run into a US bike with the lambda but I'll check.