Stucchi rack and Tekno bags

cgalardi

Guest Thundering Subash
from Al:  I've already found that the paint Guzzi used on these bikes(or at least the clear-coat) is very very soft.... and I'd worry that those legs, especially under load, and with the bike's vibrations... would damage the finish??

I agree about the delicate paint. I have a Stucci rack that I installed early this summer, have been using my bike as a daily driver, and have quite a scratched up area underneath the rack (on which I usually tote a book, small parcel, or at times grocery bags).

Overall I'm pleased with the look and functionality of the Stucci, although the price was steep. It's good to see another alternative.

I'm looking for a nice graphic of some kind, or perhaps a racing stripe to conceal the scratches.

:bike:

-Chris

Well, it'll probably be ok. As Subash points out, you could put a graphic under the contact points- I was thinking even one of those round paper stickies (like a price tag) would work. They're slick also but would wear through quickly.

Or, like me, just not worry about it.

So Chris, will I see you at next years Illinois rally or Iowa Rally?

cheers,

Jason

You can buy sheets of adhesive film from any bike shop that sells dirt bikes. It's very sticky but wont take the paint off when removed. It also comes in different colours including transparent. I use it on my Triumph to prevent the soft bags from scratching the paint and also on the sides of the fuel tank to prevent scuffing.

A cheaper alternative is to use adhesive shelf liner which is sold in just about any hardware store. This stuff is bugger to get the wrinkles and air bubbles out of but great if you are just using it for a trip and then intend to discard it.

I placed an order for some of this 3M paint protection film at this site...

http://www.xpel.com/products/default.asp

I bought four feet of the 12" width product. I believe this is the same product sold by http://www.thetankslapper.com/

I am going to cut some templates to add a little protection the the Lemans' fairing and a piece to place under the rack for protection.

chris in omaha :mg:

• 1 year later...

this rack from moto mecca looks very good, but it seems to me very fragile. I don't think that you can carry a lot of weight on it, it looks that after a while it will brake itself and brake the bodywork also, it is only plastic, at the end. The stucchi, or the original moto guzzi rack looks less nice but it is more tough, according to me.