Tranny Out Put Shaft Seal Leak

MotoG5

Just wondering if anyone has done this on the bike with the rear wheel/dirve shaft, ect. removed. Possible or not? Or is removal of the tranny unit needed. Any information would be appreciated other wise it will be learn as I go. As of yet I have not had to do alot to my 02' Naked Sport but this has reached the point where I cant ignore it anymore.

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone has done this on the bike with the rear wheel/dirve shaft, ect. removed. Possible or not? Or is removal of the tranny unit needed. Any information would be appreciated other wise it will be learn as I go. As of yet I have not had to do alot to my 02' Naked Sport but this has reached the point where I cant ignore it anymore.

Thanks

I did mine last winter with the transmission out, but it looks like it's doable insitu. 0

It would be a heck of a lot easier if you pull the swing-arm.

Rear_seal.jpg

I did mine last winter with the transmission out, but it looks like it's doable insitu. 0

It would be a heck of a lot easier if you pull the swing-arm.

Thanks Brian,

I am going to pull the swing arm for sure. I want all the access I can get. Did you just hook out the old seal clean up the contact area for the new one and drive it in? This is more or less my plan but not having worked on one of the Sports before I am not sure. With the bike assembled that area is a bit hard to look into and the shop manual is short on any detailed pictures. This bike was one of the ones recalled for the transmission up grade a few years ago and I think that is why the seal is leaking now. I doubt the shop that did the recall work put a new seal in and may not have been too kind to the old one when reassembly on the box was done. It started weeping soon after the recall but up until this last summer it had been little more than a minor issue. Its bad enough now that it leaks on my exhaust cross over on longer rides.

They are known to get weepy.......

I had my tranny out and apart when I did mine because I had a seep at the case junctions.

It looks like you could hook it out and pound in a new one from the back insitu.....

They are known to get weepy.......

I had my tranny out and apart when I did mine because I had a seep at the case junctions.

It looks like you could hook it out and pound in a new one from the back insitu.....

Thanks Again Brain,

Your time and consideration in answering my questions is appreciated. Take care and have a good 08' riding season.

MG5