How to remove tank protector?

il_cacciatore

Hi there.

The tank protector on my Guzzi looks crap and is peeling off so was wondering how I could remove it without damaging the paint work to put a new one on?

I'm guessing hair dryer or something that heats it up to remove then clear the adhesive off with petrol or something? Dont want to damage it! Any info is appreciated!

Hi there.

The tank protector on my Guzzi looks crap and is peeling off so was wondering how I could remove it without damaging the paint work to put a new one on?

I'm guessing hair dryer or something that heats it up to remove then clear the adhesive off with petrol or something? Dont want to damage it! Any info is appreciated!

A good parts store that deals with autobody supplies should cary a spray or some chem to remove the glue after the protector is pealed off. I seen the stuff in the US i dont Know about Scotland.

good luck Brent

Ronsonol lighter fuel thats the petrol type dissolves glue very cheap from your local shop

WD-40 is also a popular "adhesive remover," but I'd hesitate to use the Ronsonol w/o checking that it won't harm the finish. It's mostly naptha, after all.

A good parts store that deals with autobody supplies should cary a spray or some chem to remove the glue after the protector is pealed off. I seen the stuff in the US i dont Know about Scotland.

good luck Brent

Halfords sells label adhesive remover in a spray can.

As far as I remember, hot air didn't work very well for me when trying to remove a label from the tank.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Smudge

Hi there, I'm betting that you fixed the "glue" problem a while ago but just in case. Hardware stores here (New Zealand) carry a Citrus/Lemon liquid that works really well, maybe you could try something similar. I may try to remove the "Chinpad" but will probably wimp out.