alternate oil filters for 02 v11 sport scura

Guest drummieG

Guest drummieG

Just had a quick question about what alternate oil filters i can use on my 02 v11 sport scura. I have seen the discussion in other threads but they dont seem to specifically mention my model and just was wondering if anyone can confirm if any of these alternates could work like the "supertech" by champion labs. i picked one up but just want a confirmation from a veteran before i thread it up. Once again the model is an 02 v11 sport scura. thanks in advance

Guest ratchethack
Just had a quick question about what alternate oil filters i can use on my 02 v11 sport scura. I have seen the discussion in other threads but they dont seem to specifically mention my model and just was wondering if anyone can confirm if any of these alternates could work like the "supertech" by champion labs. i picked one up but just want a confirmation from a veteran before i thread it up. Once again the model is an 02 v11 sport scura. thanks in advance

Drummie, I'm a little fuzzy on wot you're asking. If you're looking for verification of the correct Champion filter, ST3614 is the Champion Labs (SuperTech) filter for all V11 models. This happens to be my personal choice. There are a few others that will work just as well, possibly "better" (depending on wot your preferences are and wot "better"means to you!) Purolator L10241 is one. There are a few I wouldn't consider for various reasons. Many comparisons have been made in previous topics, but that's not wot you asked. :P

Guest drummieG

THanks rachethack thats excactly what i was looking for. i picked that one up but wanted to make darn good and sure it was the right one before i put it on. Do u worry about the pipe clamp on it? Or just get it good and tight.

Guest ratchethack

The last batch o' Wally World ST3614's I picked up had a "universal sign" on the box (as I recall) that indicates the number of turns past contact of the gasket with the base. That's wot I've always done, and it's wot I always intend to do, without any concern wotsoever. But that's just me. Some will insist they have a "better" technique than wot the mfgr. recommends, and to each his own. :huh2:

Don't forget to pre-fill the filter, lube the gasket well with oil, and remove the sticker on the outside of the filter, or it could free itself, swim around in the sump, and find a bad bad place to beach itself, and raise some havoc. You know wot Marines are capable of once they get ashore. . . But let's not go there. . . ;)

Guest drummieG

My next mission is to address my broken speedo. i got the bike with the speedo broken. Found that it was just the cable. replaced the cable, inspected the gear drives and they seemed ok other than the fact the last owner had cross threaded the cable at both ends but managed to salvage the threads and thread the cable on straight. Got about 10 miles into next ride with a functioning speedo then looked down and it is not working again. Now i have not inspected it yet again to find out where the weak link was this time, i am bracing for the gear drive or speedo itself may have gone on me. my question may be premature but does anyone have any advice rachet? i hear the fact that guzzi used plastic gears in the drives is a problem but is there a known remedy? no speedo= no odometer=tickets?, noresale value? other than that that i wouldn't give a s***. Seems like its been sort of an issue.HELP!

Guest ratchethack

Drummie, I've a bit o' experience with Guzzi speedos, not all of which is positive. <_< "Experience" is often wot happens when you get less than you bargain for. . . :huh:

I b'lieve the '02's came with the "black face" ITI speedo. Mine is the "white face" Veglia. There are also several speedo cable and drive options possible. The external worm gear drive is wot I have. From your post above, it sounds like you've got the external worm gear drive, though I can't be sure?

There's also an "angled shroud" cable type, which uses no external gear drive. They are NOT interchangeable. The "angled shroud" cable is notorious for prematurely snapping cables due to a "too acute" angle at the bend above the transmission, and doesn't take kindly to lack of lube. Many (including Yours Truly on my Pal's LM) have had successful long-term results by "opening up" the angle of this kind of cable by gently bending the metal shroud by hand slightly, so that the angle just clears the lower TB stay underneath, making a more gentle curve up to the instrument.

Broken cables have been reported here with some regularity due to lack of lube. The one I replaced on my friend's '04 LM went this way at 8K miles. It was bone-dry from the factory, and came out well corroded at the point where it broke. Many have posted here of this. I've NEVER had a speedo cable break on me, because I lube the cable from the top with trans lube.

NOTE: Despite the "old wive's tale" about cable lube climbing up the cable to foul the clockwork of the speedo, to my knowledge there has NEVER been a single case of this happening on a V11 Guzzi. IMHO It's an unjustifiable, poor excuse not to lube the cable! Indeed, the winding of the cable and shroud works with the rotation of the cable to migrate cable lube DOWN into the trans (yes, I checked!), where (assuming you use trans lube on the cable) it eventually joins its happy bretheren trans lube without contaminating the trans with something entirely foreign to transmissions. B)

I've lost my worm drive gear drive twice. The first time, the staked-on external retention disk on the drive casting popped out on the road, disgorging the cable somewhere in the mountains, before I realized a change at the indicator needle. <_< JB Welding the disk on the new one served well as insurance against a repeat performance of this. The next time I lost the worm gear drive, it had apparently locked-up somehow when I had it out for servicing something else that required access to the TBs with the cable out. :huh2: No, I don't suspect my choice of cable lube caused the plastic gears to "go bad". Much more likely, IMHO, the gears are mfg'd. of a material purposely selected to be impervious to all flavors of cable lube! My new one's been as happy as a clam lubed per recommendation of the Pro's (with my own choice of trans lube, Redline Shockproof Heavy) ever since, as well as long before my last little excursion. I think it might be somewhere around 20K miles since the last "incident".

The boys at Moto International had a worm gear drive in stock for me. I think they try to keep shelf stock on this for good reason. <_<

Hope some o' this helps. :luigi:

Guest drummieG

thanks again rachet! I have the white faced veglia as well. so bending the actual metal cable shroud at the transmission end ehh? Now i am anxious to see what i find when i disassemble my unit again. i did use some transmission lube on the cable but maybe i wasnt liberal enough and i didnt bend my shroud obviously. I'm going to look into my issue. ill be in touch with my findings.

There is also the possibility that your new cable was not inserted correctly at the engine.

If inserted incorrectly, the tip of the cable rides on the top of where it is meant to fit, allowing enough friction to turn the speedo for about ten miles, or so...

The side effect of not fitting the cable correctly is that once tightened down it MIGHT now be pushing the assembly above the engine apart. If this is happening, no worries, it can simply be pressed back into position, reassembled correctly, and then many happy miles of legal obedience to the speed limit are possible.

Guest drummieG

You know you saying that gives me a tiny bit of hope that is maybe what has gone on. That thought has crossed my mind . Tonight is when i actually get to tear into it so we shall see. So your thinking start by unthreading the lower portion of the cable and make sure it is inserted fully reassemble and cross my figures? sweet i will try first!