Corbin Seat Advisory FAQ

Corbin Seat Advisory FAQ

Introduction:

------------------

Well, since I have had that photo of my 2002 LeMans with the Corbin seat on the homepage, I get a lot of concerned emails from folks that have bought a Corbin "gunfighter" seat:

Corbin V11 Gunfighter Seat

...and have been unable to make the seat fit, among other issues.

So after fielding a lot of these emails, I decided to give Corbin a call and provide a full report to the forum.

I spoke with Jay at Corbin in June 2003, and indeed they are/were aware that their seat for the V11 Sport would not fit any of the new LeMans models. And as of some months back, we had noticed that Corbin did indeed have a disclaimer on their website saying as much.

However, the problem is actually endemic to all 2002(maybe some 2001) and later V11 Sports, not just the LeMans where the new OEM relays are taller, and perhaps a few other under-seat changes that make it impossible for their current seat to fit.

So, although they've had the "no LeMans" disclaimer on the website for several months, a lot of 2002+ V11 Sport/Scura owners have been ordering the seat, and been disappointed when it did not fit.... ultimately having to return the seat because Corbin couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fit. This was very disappointing for both parties I'm sure.... certainly for the bike owners, based on the couple emails a month I receive regarding this issue.

And since Corbin sells so few Moto Guzzi seats in the first place, it's been hard for them to notice the trend(returns) and figure out what is wrong for all 2002+ V11 Sport varieties.

That being said, when I spoke to Jay at Corbin, he said they knew something was amiss, and "have it on their list" to fix... but first they need a donor bike to make a new seat-pan mold.

So.... since I already have a seat(see past threads on how they made my seat "truly custom" at the factory)... they need someone to donate their bike for a couple weeks to make the new pan. They will of course give you a free seat for the inconvenience.

So if you live near Hollister, CA and are interested in a Corbin for your 2002+ V11 Sport/LeMans, and would be willing to be without your bike for a little while, give Vince(director of R&D) at Corbin a call at:

1-800-538-7035

He can then give you the details.

Honestly though, if I had it to do over, I would probably just have Rich Maund make a seat for me. I really like my Corbin, and have no complaints, but Rich's seats look like top-notch quality and everyone that has one has nothing but praise for them... and he's "one of the flock" and I feel better pushing business his way... because I am sure Corbin isn't hurting for business, especially based on the long line of Harley's I've seen waiting at the factory showroom :) But Rich can always use our support, since this is his vocation :thumbsup:

*BUT* for those that really like the Corbin, this would be a great service for them if someone can help Corbin get a seat that fits the newer bikes...

I told Jay that if there is no one local that volunteers, I can always eventually ride down to Hollister(about an hour) and at least let them inspect and measure what they did to their current pan to make it fit on mine when they made it "custom" last Summer.

Anyway, if anyone does take Corbin up on their offer, let us know.

But in the meantime, if you have a 2002+ V11 LeMans or Sport, don't order a Corbin seat mail-order. It won't fit.

If you are local to one of the factory showrooms in Hollister, CA or Daytona, FL... it might be a different story, as they can custom fit anything there. But mail-order is almost guaranteed to prove disappointing for now.

I'll keep you posted if/when this status changes... if I hear anything.

Jaap, you may want to add a note, or even remove, the photos of my bike with the Corbin seat on the homepage for now with this in mind.

Heck, just put some of Rich's seats up instead.... the photos are certainly better :P

Information:

-----------------

Al's brief review of his Corbin install in the "old forum"

FAQ Administrative Contact:

--------------------------------------

Please feel free to contact this FAQ's administrator via email or a Forum Private Message to submit new information or suggest corrections.

Al Roethlisberger