No sport bike in Guzzi range marketing director says

1100sport

There is a 6 page article on the Guzzi factory in this week issue of "moto revue", a french magasine. The Guzzi Marketing Director said that Guzzi would not be entering the sport bike territory that Aprilia already occupies. He also confirmed that an 1400cc 2 valve pushrod engine will appear soon in the cruiser range.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they are going to drop the 1200 sport and the mgs01, aprillia's latest bikes don't look that sporty either more streetfighter than sporty, can't remember piagio ever making anything sporty ( come on list those scooters)

So they are going to drop the 1200 sport and the mgs01, aprillia's latest bikes don't look that sporty either more streetfighter than sporty, can't remember piagio ever making anything sporty ( come on list those scooters)

Sadly, the 1200 Sport is not a "sportsbike". It's a face-lifted Breva 1100.

Also sadly, the MGS-01 Corsa may be on the website, but try actually acquiring one... And for street use, too...

News like this just makes it obvious to me that for the next few years, I'll either be riding obsolescent Guzzi sportsbikes, or spending my money at the Ducati shop...

848... Mmmm !!!

Guest drknow
The same story is on the anima guzzista website in the editorial.

Paul, do you have a link to this story. This is very distressing news.

:angry2:

I'm hoping that he might mean they aren't planning on building a superbike-level sportbike. A street MGS-01/replacement Daytona doesn't actually have an analogue in the Aprilia world. Course, that's just my wishful thinking, he might mean just what it says, no sportbike. Like to get a read on that from someone who speaks Italian and can translate the nuances of the interview...

dk

well aprilia is busy with this one, 210 hp superbike. SO when you get this on the road, you have desmosedici power. The same story is on the anima guzzista website in the editorial.

big_rsv4_02.jpg

Just take this motor out, turn it 90 degrees sideways and stick it in a Guzzi chassis. What's the problem?

To be honest, I don't see it a as a pb that Guzzi does not offer a "replica" hypersport model. R1 and the likes are so powerfull that it becomes silly. I just hope they will still propose machines with decent ability for spirited driving. A half faired Griso 8v 30pounds lighter and with shorter wheelbase would do just fine with me.

. A half faired Griso 8v 30pounds lighter and with shorter wheelbase would do just fine to me.

:race: yeap!!

I don't know what to believe. My Piaggio Dealer told me that there are rumours in Italy of producing a new 125 hp V90 Guzzi engine for a new sport bike...I wish this is true!

Guest drknow

Shorter wheelbase, a more sporting drive/swingarm, and 50 lbs lighter and you're talking. It really should have the performance envelope of the R1200S, or why bother?

dk

There is a 6 page article on the Guzzi factory in this week issue of "moto revue", a french magasine. The Guzzi Marketing Director said that Guzzi would not be entering the sport bike territory that Aprilia already occupies. He also confirmed that an 1400cc 2 valve pushrod engine will appear soon in the cruiser range.

I hope someone can explain it to him that there's a whole WORLD of "sport bike" territory that lies between the (defunct line of) V11 spine frames and the Superbike performance spec of the Aprillia bikes. Yes, the superbike crotch rockets sell. Guess what? Buell built his company on a couple models of "real world" sport bikes that had engines that were basically about the output of the Guzzi big block, but that came in a very light, very short package that made them a real pleasure to ride fast on public roads and take to track days, etc. Not once did any of these models podium finish at a superbike event, yet they sold well enough for Harley-Davidson to say "O.K., you've shown you can do it, we're going to take the company & roll it back in as part of H-D proper..."

Someone at Piaggio needs to wake up & realize that they must attract younger riders, or in due course, there won't be any Guzzi customers at all, as the company's market base is primarily repeat customers, & what happens when they all age to the point that the only riding they're doing is chasing the hot nurses around the old age home in their electric wheel chairs? ;) As nice as they are, the Cali Vintage, Norge, Breva/Sport & Stelvio don't appeal to the younger set, & the Griso can't do it all on its own...

I hope someone can explain it to him that there's a whole WORLD of "sport bike" territory that lies between the (defunct line of) V11 spine frames and the Superbike performance spec of the Aprillia bikes. Yes, the superbike crotch rockets sell. Guess what? Buell built his company on a couple models of "real world" sport bikes that had engines that were basically about the output of the Guzzi big block, but that came in a very light, very short package that made them a real pleasure to ride fast on public roads and take to track days, etc. Not once did any of these models podium finish at a superbike event, yet they sold well enough for Harley-Davidson to say "O.K., you've shown you can do it, we're going to take the company & roll it back in as part of H-D proper..."

Someone at Piaggio needs to wake up & realize that they must attract younger riders, or in due course, there won't be any Guzzi customers at all, as the company's market base is primarily repeat customers, & what happens when they all age to the point that the only riding they're doing is chasing the hot nurses around the old age home in their electric wheel chairs? ;) As nice as they are, the Cali Vintage, Norge, Breva/Sport & Stelvio don't appeal to the younger set, & the Griso can't do it all on its own...

Right on the money SKeeve :thumbsup: