Powercommande Accelpump

alfaguzzi

If you have a USB PCIII. As USB is fairly new you're going to need to upgrade your PCIII.

Me, I've had accelerator pump functionality for over a year now. Not really sure how effective it is though as I never really experimented much with it.

I think so,

one more parameter to refine your mixture with,

an some added complexity :luigi:

at least it gives me some comfort since it adds value

to the choice I made the buy a brand new USB version

instead of looking for a cheaper used serial unit.

...hrmmm, interesting. I'd like to hear Todd weigh-in on this, and his experience with using this function if any.

My throttle response is pretty snappy now, and smooth.... :huh2:

But yep, this is also why I opted to upgrade to the USB model, as it will have all the new stuff. Now if they'll just add "r" functionality, so we can tweak timing too ^_^

al

What is an accelerator pump?

I could guess that in this case. it is not a pump, but an increase in fuel when throttle is increased. Such that the ECU determines rather than a simple map position to determine fuel, the ECU determines that a change in throttle position has occurred and more fuel is added to the map than it would be for holding a map position.

Is that correct?

...right, I think that is a safe assumption based on what they are calling the function.

An "accelerator pump" is harkening back to the days of carburetors. Many modern carbs had an accelerator pump that when one quickly opened the throttle, the pump would inject a bit more fuel into the mix to get things going quickly since by design carbs are reactive, not proactive. They weren't necessary, but were an enhancement for performance, otherwise it may take just a moment... kind of like turbo-lag, for some engines to generate enough vacuum to start really pulling more fuel/air in through the carb.

In this case, I suspect you are correct in that it is just another FI paramter that PowerCommander has added to the map where one can tune a spike in the fuel map if desired during quick throttle transitions.

I'm just curious how effective it really is in real world riding and tuning. I'm hoping that Todd has had some experience with this feature, and can offer his thoughts before any of us start to tinker with it.

al

I'm just curious how effective it really is in real world riding and tuning.  I'm hoping that Todd has had some experience with this feature, and can offer his thoughts before any of us start to tinker with it.

Al/All,

I spent all day Monday at Dynojet Vegas learning/tinkering/building new maps for new (Breva, Hydra-Motored Cal's, '03 LeMans with Ti-pipe and ECU) Guzzis. All which will be avail. soon on GuzziTech.

My newest personal map (Jackal with V11S ECU) was built around T-Linking both cylinders independently, and experimenting with the Accel pump feature... and can tell you first hand if you keep the numbers low, sensitivity/duration/fuel added, you can definitely feel a difference both on the dyno, and on the road.

I also can take the leap to say that timing changes on two of the bikes that we had there showed little to no gains/differences. This was an experimentation outside of the PCIIIusb (more soon on this), so don't get too excited. This proved that Dynojet's hesitancy to fork out the money to build a timing module for the Guzzi PCIII right now is unsubstantiated.

I'm going to be delving soon into some motor mods myself, and will post any/all findings on timing as I go. Reports will be first found on GuzziTech.com.

Todd@GuzziTech.com

[snip] 

This was an experimentation outside of the PCIIIusb (more soon on this), so don't get too excited. This proved that Dynojet's hesitancy to fork out the money to build a timing module for the Guzzi PCIII right now is unsubstantiated.

[snip]

question: ....are you saying then that it would be trivial for Dynojet to make an ignition module for the PCIIIusb, but just haven't done so? I wasn't sure what you meant.

It's interesting that you note little performance differences in ignition fiddling though. But for non standard bikes with "special" applications like my dual-plugging, it would still be beneficial to be able to tune it I bet.

Well, let us know your results and can't wait to hear about your experiment.

thx

al

question:  ....are you saying then that it would be trivial for Dynojet to make an ignition module for the PCIIIusb.

Al, yes that is what I was saying... that timing tinkering showed little promise for Dynojet to go through the headaches and expense of developing a Timing module. However, this is not to say that alot of folks with V11S' would'nt benefit by timing changes (for pinging) even on stock bikes. I now own an '02 V11 LeMans, that was known as a "ping-o-saurus", as the previous owner called it. So I'll be working hard to figure this whole timing bit out... even if it's not under Dynojet's reigns. The usb unit does infact get us LEAPS closer for them to do timing, but I'll first have to prove to them that it is worthy, and then convince them that there will be a fairly substantial market for it.

Todd@GuzziTech.com

GuzziTech.com

ah hem ... well, just in case anyone forgot :lol: ....once again, let them know that I'd be interested in a timing adjustment feature on the PCIIIusb ^_^

Thanks Todd...

al

P.S. And just in case you come up with a way to reliably tweak the timing outside of the PCIII/ECU, please let me know. I don't think I require this for my dual-plug setup, but it would be good to know since it would probably optimize the modification as right now I'm stuck with just plugging them in and hoping for the best with the stock ignition curve.