Modifying Le Mans ergos

Guest IanJ

I had started this topic in the last board, thought I'd post my pictures again. These are shots of the Two Brothers Racing bar-backs for the Le Mans. My idea is to use these and pegs from a Centauro in order to bring the seating position of the Le Mans a bit more upright to fit me better.

Bar-back pictures

:rolleyes:

...well, this is the post that I was typing a reply to when the board blew-up the last time. So it is with great trepidation that I write this! ;)

First of all, let me say that the construction of the bars looks first-rate, and it's obvious that someone has put a lot of time and effort into them.

But I have some concerns.

First, although I guess this is the point :P , but because these bars seem to be a good couple inches taller *AND* on the near-side of the fork-tubes instead of the far-side as in stock-form... this is going to really alter the riding position of the rider and make for a very upright and pulled-back riding position. My concern is that with both factors, rise and pull-back, being pretty extreme, that there may not be a middle-ground. For me, it looks like it may be too much. But that's just my opinion.

Second, and perhaps most important... from the photos it appears that the forks had to be raised a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch to accomodate the clamp for these new risers. This will no-doubt affect the geometry of the bike and make the steering quicker, and potentially less stable.

Perhaps the photos are a bit misleading and the change is not that great, but it is also important to realize that many customers are not going to want to have to move their forks. So the manufacturer may want to look at a way to stick to the stock setup as the original bars used to clamp/attach to the tree and forks. Just a thought.

...just a couple concerns.

But again, looks like a really nice product! I'm sure that someone looking for more upright ergos will find these an interesting alternative :D

*finger trembling over the "add reply" button... "please don't crash, please don't crash!" * :huh:

al

Al: They didn't have to move the forks in the triple clamp to get those risers on. I just talked to the dealer, and they said that everything would fit in that configuration other than the hydraulic lines -- everything else fits without modification. When I sat on the bike, and quickly switched back to a stock V11 Sport, I found that the amount of pullback was pretty moderate, I'd say about 2 to 3 inches if you took a straight-line measurement. I certainly didn't feel like I was suddenly sitting on a Gold Wing or something. :)

Jaap: those look interesting too. I'll have to check them out.

Really, my goal with this modification is to change the riding position so my neck isn't stressed so far. In stock form, it hurts to just sit on the bike. I'm not trying to turn the bike into a touring bike by any means -- just change it enough so I fit on it!

Guest Janusz

Ian, how tall are you and what's your inseam?

Just curious, since at my 5'08" the stock bars (clip-ons) fit me perfectly after adjusting to the closest position. I would even risk the statement that on the long trip this bike is more comfortable then my old FJ 1100 was.

Of course the faster speeds and relaxed muscles after years of experience also help...

I'm 6' 1" or so, a bit more in riding boots, and my inseam is 34". I have unusually long arms for my height, and finding fitted shirts is usually a difficult task (fortunately not one I have to do very often). You'd think this would make it easier to ride a low-bar'd motorcycle, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I also have a relatively sensitive neck and knees, so that riding for any distance with my head wrenched up gets painful pretty quickly, and having my legs compressed as far as the stock pegs do is uncomfortable, and makes it feel like I don't have sufficient leverage to control the bike.

I'm pretty confident, really, that the modifications I have in mind will allow me to fit on the Le Mans a lot better than if it were left stock. It may be that I would gradually come to fit on the bike, but why make that uncomfortable sacrifice if I don't have to?

Guest JohnInNH

Ian,

Any new impressions ... Have you got this set up on the LeMans working yet. Any problems, recommendations?

I'm also looking for a bar relocation system. 1.5" - 2" up and 2" back will do the trick for me.

The 2 bro are big $$ and need custom break lines. Did you find any "bolt on" ones with less rise?

...and I wonder if poor Mr Wedge was disappointed in seeing the new '03 all-red and all-black LeMans after all that work repainting the bike? :unsure:

We need to find this fella though and make sure he knows about this forum!

al

Guest Jaap

I read the article too, and I'm impressed by the craftsmanship. However the overall looks are somehow gone. It isn't a Sport-Tourer anymore. Especially the high fairing screen contributes to that.

I think I would buy me a Beemer if I needed that kind of riding position. But everybody is free of turning their LM into something they enjoy a 100%. ^_^

And indeed it would be a good idea to get this guy to join this forum. He could surely contribute! I've already contacted the MGNOC to put up a link to this site/forum

Guest Oliver

Hi there,

a friend of mine changed the handle bars of his V11 with parts from the California.

umbau2.jpg

It is very comfortable, but unfortunately :( I can't use the California parts on my Scura. First of all, they look a bit too "chopper-like" to me. On the other hand the risers are not high enough.

I read the article written by Frank (thx for posting the link) and would like to ask, if anybody knows which Harley Davidson risers has been used. Also it is from interest which handle bar he has used, AFAIK the Harley Davidson handle bars are thicker (1" instead of 22 mm) ...

For your information

The german company LSL is planning to offer a Superbike-Kit for the V11 Sport. I contacted them already a few weeks ago ... last information - maybe available in 6 weeks. Wait and see, I'll keep you informed on this.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

THX in advance for any help on the HD risers.

Great idea to use the Guzzi bars ...that looks really classy, especially with the MG logo on the clamp. But I wonder if it is far enough back, etc... to work with the fairing on a LeMans?? I guess someone would have to do some measuring.

I feel fortunate that I'm happy with my OEM clip-ons! Saves me some time and money to not want to modify at least that one part!! :lol:

So, BTW, what does LSL mean by a "superbike kit"?? :huh:

al

Guest Oliver
So, BTW, what does LSL mean by a "superbike kit"??

Hi Al,

sorry for the "german" phrase ... over here you say SuperBike when you are talking from a motorcycle w/o fairing and handle bars instead of clip-ons (as shown on my picture).

A SuperBike kit contains all necessary items to do the change ... handle bar, mountings, clamps, screws, brake- and clutchlines (where needed), etc. ....

BTW ... to bring the handle bar more back to the driver ... you can use the clamps from the Moto Guzzi Quota. They'll bring the handle bar back for about 7 cm, so it "should" fit the Le Mans fairing ... but better you measure before buying ;)

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany