Replacing Oil Breather Hose

dlaing

Guest ratchethack

I used a barbed nylon 90 degree "ell" for the lower joint and a PVC schedule 40 45 degree "ell" for the upper joint, per the previously submitted design. I've got about 7K miles on this with no problems yet. ;)

These parts are refered to on page 5-51 of "Guzziology": It says "there is a lot of hidden engineering in these systems" and not to change hose diameters, or eliminate the banjo fitting.

FWIW.

Frank

Guest ratchethack

Frank, thanks for pointing this out, but per Richardson, p. 5-51, para. 3, the banjo referred to is on a separate hose altogether, the oil return at the rear of the sump. In any case, the breather hose replacement submitted (I think by dlaing?) back in September uses hoses and fittings that are actually larger in inside diameter than the stock hose, though I can't recall the exact dimensions. The 90-degree barbed nylon "ell" that I substituted for the lower joint, however, was possibly a tiny bit smaller inside diameter, but being a breather used for air/oil, and not oil only as in the case of the banjo at the rear of the sump, this should be OK. As mentioned, I've had no prob's yet... :sun:

Thanks for the tip RatchetHack.

I'll keep my eye out for a nylon fitting at home depot.

A quick search on the net seems to indicate that nylon should hold up better to oil...not sure about heat.

Here is the damage...note how it is loosing its roundness and becoming a little triangular.

elbowpvc.jpg

Guest ratchethack

Dave, FYI - I found the 90-degree nylon barbed "ell" at Marshall's Industrial Supply. They didn't have 45-degree fittings, though...

Darn, I spent hours searching yesterday.

In anycase, I am sure they would have been closed on Sunday.

Here is what I came up with:

In US autoparts stores there is a product brand line called "HELP!" made by a company called Motormite.

They make a 90 degree plastic elbow with 3/4 inch hose barbs.

It is Help! part number 47037 and it is for the PCV (not pvc) system on 1984-86 GM 2.5L engines

If you are looking in junkyard, it goes over the valve cover on such an engine.

I'd look for light trucks that may use that engine but it may also be in mid size cars.

A 45 degee angle would be better because the oil would be less likely to pool and the line would run straighter, but this should be fine, and is certainly up to the heat and oil task that it was designed for.

newelbow.JPG

• 1 year later...

On Guzzitech somebody posted a Ford heater hose that appears to be perfectly curved for the V11EV.

It may also fit our bike:

http://www.guzzitech.com/EVBreatherHose-Joe_B.html

Pictured below is the Goodyear Ford hose #63318 compared to the EV hose

EVBreatherHose.jpg

Here is the NAPAonline part number and description:

Item#: NBH10912

Price: $ 26.79

Attributes:

Attributes: Hose - Heater

I.D.(s): .62'' x .62'' x .62''

Length: 23.7''

Mine is starting to leak again, so I may give this a shot!

There is a large hose running from the top of the engine to the bottom side of the top of the spine frame.

The hose is about an inch in diameter.

It is part 18 of drawing 10 in the parts catalog CD.

Does anyone know the exact size?

Ideas about where to get a better quality replacement?

Mine has started to break down and is leaking.

This may be something for people to keep an eye out for.

FWIW I have 21,000+ miles on the bike now.

10576[/snapback]

Dayco #80404 heater hose. Match the bend of the Dayco up against the bend in the original hose and cut off the excess on the Dayco. It's about 1 5/8" on the short end and 7 3/8" on the long part, but I'm not swearing those are the correct lengths to cut as I'm going from memory. If you cut it correctly, the longer end will gracefully curve down to the crankcase breather spigot and the the whole thing will fit on quite nicely. This part number is courtesy of the wildguzzi forum, but I forget who posted it and have not found my original reference. Regardless, my thanks to them.

Later edit: Drat the small screen on the step mothers computer is a liability. Missed that reference above to the GuzziTech site. John Spinelli is not a computer user but does have a devastatingly lovely yellow 97 Sport 1100i in the San Louis Obispo area of California.

54817[/snapback]

It worked pretty well.

$29 plus tax...even Ford parts are expensive...

The .62" inch hose was a little on the tight side, but I got it on.

It was also a little on the long side, so I ended up leaving about two inches of the curved section at each end.

Yay! No more disintegrating PVC!

However if this does not last, I will go back to that other elbow I found and use two of them instead of one of them and one pvc plumbing elbow.

The PVC did not hold up to the heat and the PVC cement did not hold up to the heat and oil.

the pipe got hot enough that it deformed enough to compromise the seal against the hose.

27697[/snapback]

Um, you do know that when PVC breaks down, it released HCl (hydrochloric acid)? Not necessarily something to worry about since there is plenty of ventilation. Just don't sniff your bike....for any number of reasons, really. I mean, look at Belfast. :cheese:

So far, I've read of breather hose failure on east/west coast of the US. Has anyone in the center of the country (or other countries) experienced similar problems? I'm wondering if some of the gas additives are contributing to the rubber degradation. Gas has fewer oxygenates here in the midwest, and my breather hose seems to be holding up, though I haven't inspected it very carefully. I'm afraid if I do, then I'll have to replace it :luigi: .

Of course, you coast-fellows can put a few more miles on the bike as well, and that's another possibility.

:huh2:

Just don't sniff your bike....for any number of reasons, really.

54901[/snapback]

Too late JR, ain't you seen DL's new exhaust mod in that other thread? It feeds straight to his nostrils, direct injection. West Coast boys sure like their fun. Do you think he's related to Enzo?

Anyway, guess my pipe won't break down as it just seems to circulate water (as per Oil Consumption threads :thumbsup: )

Too late JR, ain't you seen DL's new exhaust mod in that other thread? It feeds straight to his nostrils, direct injection. West Coast boys sure like their fun. Do you think he's related to Enzo?

54949[/snapback]

I did see that. I was reminded of an anthropology lecture on the South American Shamans who blew Datura powder up each others noses. Only DL has to take it to the next level.

Anyway, guess my pipe won't break down as it just seems to circulate water

Remember, it's better to burn out than rust away, my friend.

• 2 months later...
On Guzzitech somebody posted a Ford heater hose that appears to be perfectly curved for the V11EV.

It may also fit our bike:

http://www.guzzitech.com/EVBreatherHose-Joe_B.html

Pictured below is the Goodyear Ford hose #63318 compared to the EV hose

EVBreatherHose.jpg

Here is the NAPAonline part number and description:

Item#: NBH10912

Price: $ 26.79

Attributes:

Attributes: Hose - Heater

I.D.(s): .62'' x .62'' x .62''

Length: 23.7''

54817[/snapback]

Did you use the ford hose with the 2 curved ends ,or the dayco hose with one straight end on your sport? Im getting ready to replace my cracked one..... The bikes hose that is.... :grin:

Dayco #80404 heater hose. Match the bend of the Dayco up against the bend in the original hose and cut off the excess on the Dayco. It's about 1 5/8" on the short end and 7 3/8" on the long part, but I'm not swearing those are the correct lengths to cut as I'm going from memory. If you cut it correctly, the longer end will gracefully curve down to the crankcase breather spigot and the the whole thing will fit on quite nicely. This part number is courtesy of the wildguzzi forum, but I forget who posted it and have not found my original reference. Regardless, my thanks to them.

Later edit: Drat the small screen on the step mothers computer is a liability. Missed that reference above to the GuzziTech site. John Spinelli is not a computer user but does have a devastatingly lovely yellow 97 Sport 1100i in the San Louis Obispo area of California.

54847[/snapback]

Carl, did you install the dayco hose on your v 11 sport or on your Cali? or do both bikes use the same hose? Thanks, Rick