Replacing Oil Breather Hose

dlaing

Guest ratchethack

Keep looking, Nog. You'll need to find it when it starts leaking (and it will). <_< It runs from just in front of the clutch housing on the top rear of the engine case to just aft of the steering head on the underside of the frame.

I guess this hose is only found on "ecochondriac" American market bikes. I can't find anything like that on mine!

58977[/snapback]

I dont believe the hose is an emission control hose, it is for crankcase pressure venting/breathing,which all motors must have. take another look , it starts on top of the motor case right in front of the gearbox/ bellhousing. It looks like a cracked black garden hose( at least in my case its cracked!) :D

• Haha 1

Guest Nogbad
I dont believe the hose is an emission control hose, it is for crankcase pressure venting/breathing,which all motors must have. take another look , it starts on top of the motor case right in front of the gearbox/ bellhousing. It looks like a cracked black garden hose( at least in my case its cracked!) :D

58980[/snapback]

AAAAGGGGHHH NOOOOOOOO! I've found it and it's CRACKED where it fits over the stub on the crankcase.

I HATE YOU ALL!!! :bbblll::bbblll::bbblll::bbblll:

AAAAGGGGHHH NOOOOOOOO! I've found it and it's CRACKED where it fits over the stub on the crankcase.

I HATE YOU ALL!!!  :bbblll:  :bbblll:  :bbblll:  :bbblll:

58982[/snapback]

See, you learn something new every day! Dont be upset Its a 1 to 2 beer job, Ill buy the ale! :bier:

Guest Nogbad
See, you learn something new every day!  Dont be upset Its a 1 to 2 beer job, Ill buy the ale!  :bier:

58984[/snapback]

The rubber bits on this Guzzi seem to suffer badly from cracking and degredation just like the MZ I used to ride. On the MZ I assumed that was simply down to commies not having any incentive to use either good quality polymers or make 'em right if they did have decent rubber.

What's with the crap rubber on a western (EU) made product then?????

Did you use the ford hose  with the 2 curved ends ,or the dayco hose with one straight end on your sport? Im getting ready to replace my cracked one..... The bikes hose that  is.... :grin:

58959[/snapback]

:D

I went with the Ford hose.

I can't describe how I trimmed it, because I cannot remember, but I did trim it.

All I know is that this hose needs trim. :P

It was a bit tighter to squeeze on than the 3/4 inch ID heater hose, but so far, so good!

PS Nogbad, just be happy the hose did not explode 100 miles from home. :2c:

I know, you hate me....

What's with the crap rubber on a western (EU) made product then?????

58990[/snapback]

FWIW I think that hose is made of vinyl. Pure crap for its intended purpose, but I guess it is easier to mold that the reinforced black rubber hoses.

Guest Nogbad

Mine seems to be rubber. Doesn't feel like vinyl. I guess I'll buy an OEM one and hope it degrades with age rather than mileage. Almost 5 years isn't so bad I suppose.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know if copper is ok for the bends? In UK water pipes are either 13mm or 22mm o/s diameter. 22 may sound a lot for 19mm rubber, but a squirt of maintenance spray & it slips on nice & snug. I wonder if the PE push-fit type materials are suitable?

Wire spring clips of about the right diameter are used for washing machine waste pipes.

If there's a mod watching, it may be worth updating earlier posts -I got excited and almost went out to get pvc bends without reading on...

• 4 years later...
  • 10 years later...
On 8/31/2005 at 6:28 AM, bigbikerrick said:

See, you learn something new every day! Dont be upset Its a 1 to 2 beer job, Ill buy the ale! :bier:

You drinking slow?

• Haha 2