More pony's please

ALdad

Does the 02 sport have more hp than the 00? I had my 00 sport dynotuned ,the results were 80.73 hp and 64.21 tq. The bike has an open air box, mistral cans, stucci cross and an early PC111. I reacently saw a posted result from a 02 sport with the same set up only the pipes and cross were by fast by feracci.The dyno was also done at fast by feracci, they got 90hp and 70 tq. What's up. Would the different brand products make thaaat much of a differance?I'm not quite up to speed yet on custom maps and such but if someone could fill me in. What am I missing ,and who in SoCal could get me the extra getty up!! Cheer! :unsure: Ok I just found Daves Dyno gallery. I'm not too far off but I would like more with out serious mods. Any body got any ideas.It seems that the custom mapping done at fast feracci with similar set up's are getting higher #'s. Maybe there pipe or their tuner?? hmmm.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

. . . Any body got any ideas. . . hmmm.

Saw my first Rosso Corsa here, and discovered this is a family owned shop with serious motocycle know how.

Southbay Triumph - aprilia - Laverda - Moto Guzzi

2101 Pacific Coast Hwy

Lomita, CA 90717

(310) 784-7690

SouthBayMotoGuzzi.jpg

Does the 02 sport have more hp than the 00? I had my 00 sport dynotuned ,the results were 80.73 hp and 64.21 tq. The bike has an open air box, mistral cans, stucci cross and an early PC111. I reacently saw a posted result from a 02 sport with the same set up only the pipes and cross were by fast by feracci.The dyno was also done at fast by feracci, they got 90hp and 70 tq. What's up. Would the different brand products make thaaat much of a differance?I'm not quite up to speed yet on custom maps and such but if someone could fill me in. What am I missing ,and who in SoCal could get me the extra getty up!! Cheer! :unsure: Ok I just found Daves Dyno gallery. I'm not too far off but I would like more with out serious mods. Any body got any ideas.It seems that the custom mapping done at fast feracci with similar set up's are getting higher #'s. Maybe there pipe or their tuner?? hmmm.

It's pretty easy to sway dyno results to suit whatever outcome you desire. I'm not saying Feracci did this, but it is among the possible explanations . . .

It's pretty easy to sway dyno results to suit whatever outcome you desire. I'm not saying Feracci did this, but it is among the possible explanations . . .

When a Moto Guzzi is dyno'ed at FBF it's always going to put up bigger numbers. Not because of the air quality, the temperature or even the magic in Ferracci's hands; its because of all the damn MV Augusta's in that place.

Peer pressure.... :lol:

:2c:

Guest rosso mandello

Dyno testing is not dyno testing. We all want to get max results from our bike. I got mine tested i one shop, 85,3 HP on the wheel, then took the same bike to another shop, no mods done in the meantime, just to get a dissapointing 74 HP. After twisting the PCIII i got 78 HP that day, so here I am. 10 HP differens on 2 DYNOS, what am I to believe. Find one you trust, and stick to him

Mogens.

Guest drknow

You've done all the easy stuff, next would be head-work and cams. Just depends if that last 8-10 horsepower are worth it to you. Mike Rich's website has prices if it is.

dk

Also, max top end HP has shown to be more the domain of the FBF cross over, but the stucchi or mistral showed more mid range torque. This is from reading the now rather lengthy "tale of two cross overs" thread, if memory serves me correctly. I think the mid range improvements translate better in real world riding. I spend way more time doing 0-70 mph :D than I do at 90 mph+ :o . Your results may very... :huh2: Chasing more speed/ power is good fun, is it not?!?!? Good Huntin', S.H.

I had Louie in Acton dynolink tune my 02 Lemans with an opened airbox, but retaining the snorkels, mistral pipes FBF x-over and early serial PCIII, I got 85 bhp at the rear wheel and was done at around 3000 ft elevation, ran stinking fast. fastest spiney I've ridden.... but he knows guzzi's very well.

....echoing the "it all depends" mantra here :P

Dyno's really ought not to be used as a competitive device(although we're all likely guilty of doing so :rolleyes: ) .... but instead a tool to measure the results of your tweaking. And to be useful, just like any other "gauge", one should stick with the same dyno for subsequent tests.

In my case, after quite a bit of tweaking, I believe my max rear wheel HP was around 86, with 65ish ft/lb torque.

I'm not going to say it is impossible, but I don't think you are going to find many(any?) V11 based bikes with mild to moderate modifications that are going to produce much more than mid-80s HP at the *rear wheel*.

And even with that in mind, those figures are peak, which really doesn't mean a much in the real world... since we don't all ride at "peak" all the time ^_^

Look to produce a good flat torque graph in combination with a good balance of top HP. You'll probably be happier with those results than if one goes for highest HP.

Al

Guest ratchethack
who in SoCal could get me the extra getty up!! Cheer! :unsure: . . .I would like more with out serious mods. Any body got any ideas.

Well Al, this isn't a personal attack, my friend, and I don't intend to single you out, but it looks like it's time once again to get out the ol' sporting clays shotgun and bring down some more o' the most commonly annoying and outrageous popular delusions that seem to coagulate in the atmosphere from time to time, clouding up the sky above this here shootin' range. . .[sigh]. . .It's wot I live for. :lol:

I submit that if you're a graduate of the "more is better" school, (the school taught by modern advertising and Professors of never-satiated appetites and unrestricted, bottomless pit consumption), you've purchased the wrong motorcycle. :o

IMHO, in this case, the very best possible answer to your inquiry is: Trade your Guzzi in for any Japper 4 600, and substitute the hopelessly misdirected and impossibly convoluted path to nirvana you seem to be on with a straight line. :huh2:

Despite the lunacy so often promoted on this Forum by a select few dreamers whose feet don't seem to quite reach all the way down to terra firma :whistle: there is no 140 hp V11 Guzzi, nor is there a 120 hp V11 Guzzi, nor is there a 110 hp V11 Guzzi that will hold itself together for a reasonable period of operation on the road. Case in point, the long-and-repeatedly-touted "V11 Hayabusa Eater" (a concept actually launched and seriously proposed here awhile back) is simply a hallucination, a figment, a fevered fabrication of childishly deluded imaginings with not so much as a fractional foundation in earthbound reality. :homer:

If you're like 99.99999999% (shall we just be completely honest here and say 100%?) of those on this Forum, (including Yours Truly) who're NOT chasing land speed records and NOT going BOT racing, NOR riding around on the streets with our V11's at WOT more than 00.0000000001% of the time -- How much more joy and pleasure of ownership d'you expect to realize from a return on your investment in time and money chasing peaks on dyno charts, that (as has again recently been illustrated), are often as inaccurate by more than 10% from one dyno to the next to begin with?!?! :huh2:

Relative to modern road tackle that's actually designed for and capable of competing at the top of the latest performance comparo charts commonly found every day in the monthly Crotch Rocket magazine reviews next to your grocery checkout, You're riding around on a living anachronism, my friend! It's a seriously overweight, seriously underpowered garden slug compared to bikes of HALF it's displacement! Wot, praytell, d'you expect to accomplish by injecting your garden slug with performance enhancing steroids, and how many injections d'you figure it'll take before you figure you've achieved your objectives?!?! D'you figure you'll wind up in the end with something other than a great wallopping earthworm with 'roid rage??!!??!!?? How would this make your Guzzi "better" than it is today???!!??!!???

Isn't it possible to enjoy riding a thoroughly capable road bike that with a little care and attention, properly directed, can be made to handle perfectly satisfactorily on the road for all practical road use purposes without imagining it could be, should be , and absolutely must be something it was never possible to be in the first place -- no matter how much you doctor it up??!!??!!!??? :huh2:

Why do people buy V11's to stand out from the crowd of riders of "performance appliances", then go to great futile efforts trying to make them perform at the same level? I just don't get it, but o' course -- that's just me. . . :rolleyes:

Enquiring minds. . .(well, you know) :huh2:

Why is it that as soon as someone post something about getting more power out of their V11, there is always a few people who question the posters suitability to own a Guzzi? I love Guzzi's AND I love power. You can do both, and a well modded Guzzi will make good power. There is no shame in wanting more power then your Guzzi can with stock. For some of us it is part of the fun of owning a Guzzi, that you can dramatically improve on what the factory saw fit to give.

I had a 1984 Mazda pickup from 1984 to about 1988. 2-litre 4-cylinder SOHC. Not a lot of power and not set up all that well from the factory. Horrible flat spot at 3k rpm.

The little truck blew a head gasket at about 50k miles. The head was damaged and needed some welding.

I took that opportunity to shave the head to raise compression, port/polish/gasket match the head.

I also ordered up a camshaft and header. Why not, since I had it apart already...

The end result was an amazing transformation in the driveablity and performance of the engine. It had more power, no flat spot, and got the same fuel economy.

No, I wasn't expecting to go out and race camaros and corvettes with the thing. I just wanted to improve the performance and driveability of what I had.

I think it's the same for Guzzis and any other machine. I'm well aware that if I wanted a superbike, I could go out and buy an R1 or 1098. Same with a touring bike. There are better out there than my LeMans.

The thing is, I like Guzzis and I don't see any problem with changing/modifying/improving them to improve driveability and the "fun factor".

Stock machines are built to a price and to EPA/DOT/EURO requirements. The OEMs leave lots of performance on the table because the "have to". We, as owners, are not under the same restrictions...

I agree. Its all about making the most of your bike- not chasing Jap power figures but reasonable mods which can deliver a bit more shove.

I'm still waiting to hear about all the blown engines of those who have done some tweaking.

Nowt wrong with a bit more grunt on your V11 :mg:

Stock machines are built to a price and to EPA/DOT/EURO requirements. The OEMs leave lots of performance on the table because the "have to". We, as owners, are not under the same restrictions...

Actually, we are under the same restrictions, we can just get away with more... at least for now ;)

There is nothing wrong with improving power and making it run better. The trade off with most power producing modifications, especially mechanical ones is decreased durability. The question is how much do you want to trade? It is true that no matter what you do, you will not keep up with a Yamakawazuki 600 in a straight line.

I'm always looking to make things a little better. Not that elusive extra horse at 7000rpm on the dyno but more like better power in the meat of the powerband with no flat spots.