Front brake pad replacement

Gio

Guest ratchethack
Tried searching the forum but no luck - anyone have the part # for stock front brake pads (2000 V11S) ...

Gio

Which flavor d'you want? Standard organic replacements include Ferodo Platinum (my personal choice) P/N FDB2042P. :mg:

Which flavor d'you want? Standard organic replacements include Ferodo Platinum (my personal choice) P/N FDB2042P. :mg:

I was inclined to go with whatever Brembo pads were fitted as stock - originals will have done ~70,000 km of service and I have been satisfied with their performance ... but am open to alternatives

Gio

Ratchet - a couple of follow-up questions :

1. What kind of mileage did you get out of the stock pads - and how does this compare to Ferodo?

2. Did you notice any more or less dust on the front rim after switching to Ferodo?

Gio

PS - I tracked down the part # of stock Brembo pads as # 107.6708.10 (list price $79 CDN a set)

Guest ratchethack

Gio, I could go look this up, but frankly (no reflection upon yourself!), I'm not interested enough to dig the exact numbers out of my maintenance record. :blush: My recollection is that I get around 10K miles, both front and rear on brake pads, which IIRC is about the same as the pads it came with, but I tend to do pads when I do tires sometimes, and this often is a ways before they actually need it. If you come up with pads that don't foul your nice, silver wheels with dust (I'm assuming they're not black or you wouldn't likely have asked ;) ), I reckon you'd be the first, and please do advise. If you go with sintered (aka metallic) pads, rather than organic, you'll get a harder bite and feel at the expense of chewing through your rotors lots faster, and putting a nasty, corrosive dust on your wheels that'll eventually zip thru the paint unless you really keep after it. <_<

Hope this helps. :luigi:

Gio, I could go look this up, but frankly (no reflection upon yourself!), I'm not interested enough to dig the exact numbers out of my maintenance record. :blush: My recollection is that I get around 10K miles, both front and rear on brake pads, which IIRC is about the same as the pads it came with, but I tend to do pads when I do tires sometimes, and this often is a ways before they actually need it. If you come up with pads that don't foul your nice, silver wheels with dust (I'm assuming they're not black or you wouldn't likely have asked ;) ), I reckon you'd be the first, and please do advise. If you go with sintered (aka metallic) pads, rather than organic, you'll get a harder bite and feel at the expense of chewing through your rotors lots faster, and putting a nasty, corrosive dust on your wheels that'll eventually zip thru the paint unless you really keep after it. <_>

Hope this helps. :luigi:

Hi Ratchet,

No worries - in fact I should explain why I was asking. I used to have a little notebook with all my service history notes in but lost this recently (over 7 years of service notes ... which really sucks btw) and hence my initial claim of geeting over 65,000 km on the stock pads ... don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that ..?

In checking my receipts I purchased a replacement set at around 30,000 km and so am getting somwhere between 30 and 35,000 km per set (on what I am assured are) stock organic Brembo pads which I think is quite good.

The dust is a pain (I was just curious if Ferodo were the same) but I can live with this as we all do.

Apologies for any confusion and thanks again for the feedback.

Gio

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between 'organic' and 'non organic' pads? Do the organic ones not get insect repellent sprayed on them before they leave the factory, or something?!?!

The friction material in non-organic brake pads is manufactured from man-made products. You can go to brake manufacturer's website for more info and recommendations