Hose clamp for oil filter installation

Dimitris

Hi !

Although many have been written, as fas as I searched some pages, I didn't find any pics and the Old Daddy's page is not working since many months now..

So do you know where I could find some pics of the hose clamp mounted on the filter? What is the procedure? I will put a UFI filter, which I bought a few months ago.

Since I am willing to change the oil filter every 5.000 km, this means that everytime I will have to dismount the sump? <_>

D,

You will find the pan removal a part of the ritual,have plenty of gaskets around for spares (along with the Roper windage tray you will install) and the inspection of the engine internals. When you r&r the filter you will get used to "just right". There is no law against practicing with the old filter,on & off as many times as you want til you feel comfortable. To me the idea of putting a hose clamp on an oil filter is the most ridiculous idea ever thought up. Also if this powerplant was and is on an airplane I would be UPSET if it was not applied to the filter that backed off and caused an engine failure at 5k ft. altitude.

With that logic in mind place the clamp on the filter body where it will stop filter rotation IF it ever starts reverse rotation.

So what if it takes you an hour to service the bike it is your metal sex machine!

Hi Dimitris, look through the pinned thread,"Installing a Roper Slopper". There is a real good picture of the clamp and oil filter in close up. It's in "How to.." section.

Thank you guys! Is it necessary to install the roper slopper? If yes, why? Till now 12.500 km (the oil filter had been changed at the first service-1500km from the previous owner) and I had no problem.

From whom to order the roper slopper?

So big trouble for an oil filter? With my Breva the mevhanic just unscrews the filter without taking off the sump. Imagine that I was planning to just do the same thing to my bike.....will it be risky? grrr.......

No,

You do not HAVE to install the Roper plate and you don't have to pull the pan to change the oil filter. You don't have to wear a condom. You can't put a condom on after the fact either. Your reluctance tells me you're not a mechanic. Find someone who is, and ask them to help you a couple of times and ask them to explain the theory (or you can read the thread) about the plate. Same goes for the filter. Remember that attaching the clamp on the filter will not give you the ultimate experience of engine failure. Remember the airplane analogy...

Thank you guys! Is it necessary to install the roper slopper? If yes, why? Till now 12.500 km (the oil filter had been changed at the first service-1500km from the previous owner) and I had no problem.

From whom to order the roper slopper?

So big trouble for an oil filter? With my Breva the mevhanic just unscrews the filter without taking off the sump. Imagine that I was planning to just do the same thing to my bike.....will it be risky? grrr.......

The oil pressure sensors are not very good at lighting up the oil warning light during dangerously low oil pressures, so you may be doing damage without knowing it.

Risk is increased, and failure is likely, by running the oil level low, popping wheelies, and doing long hard accelerations up hill especially in lower gears.

If you ride only on flat lands, never see WOT (wide open throttle), keep the front wheel on the ground, and keep your oil level up, it is not necessary.

But almost nobody fits that description, so I believe it is a very good idea to get a shloppage shleet, and certainly a necessity for those that pop wheelies or accelerate hard up hills.

Look back to savagehenry's reply..........

Saw the "Installing the Roper SLopper" in the "How to.." section but I didn't find any info about ordering that thing....(??)

Saw the "Installing the Roper SLopper" in the "How to.." section but I didn't find any info about ordering that thing....(??)

Send a PM to Pete Roper & he'll hook you up. I'm not certain what the exchange rate btw Greece (drachma?) & Aus$ is, nor what shipping is likely to be: if you know of some other Greek v11 riders who'd want them, then having Pete send several at once would spread out the shipping charge per plate to something more reasonable. You might want to suggest ordering such to your local shop: some of the Guzzi shops here in the States have ordered a pack of plates "on spec" to have them on-hand for their customers.

Best of luck!

Send a PM to Pete Roper & he'll hook you up. I'm not certain what the exchange rate btw Greece (drachma?) & Aus$ is, nor what shipping is likely to be: if you know of some other Greek v11 riders who'd want them, then having Pete send several at once would spread out the shipping charge per plate to something more reasonable. You might want to suggest ordering such to your local shop: some of the Guzzi shops here in the States have ordered a pack of plates "on spec" to have them on-hand for their customers.

Best of luck!

Oh Skeeve, you reminded me of the old good days......I haven't heard of the word "drachma" since 2000. B) That year we changed into Euros. I already sent Pete a message. Thank you Skeeve!