Oil Level/Dipstick Calibration

Ryland post on measurements "Filter Cover Tool" September 18, 2006:

"I've taken the time to make careful measurements, and here is what I found on my '04 Cafe Sport:

Dipstick calibration results:

My dipstick length from the flange to the tip is 7-9/16".

With a filter change, thorough draining of the sump, then adding 3.5 liters per the manual and running the engine long enough to fill the filter, the oil level reached 2.09" from the end of the dipstick with it fully screwed in, or 5.475 from the flange

. That's 0.69 higher than its full mark, but still 0.33 lower than the gasket along the dipstick, or 0.23" vertically. This corresponds with the full mark being 18.23mm from the block surface, and when the wetting of the oil during extraction of the dipstick which causes an artificially high reading is taken into account, this agrees almost exactly with Ratchethack's visual measurement of 21 mm.

This suggests that the dipstick calibration as supplied with the machine is incorrect. In another post, I recall it said the correct method is to measure with the dipstick not threaded in, opposite to the manual's instructions. That's about 0.5 inches higher, but still significantly lower than the 0.69 I measured. However, it's difficult to ensure the dipstick is parallel with the thread to get the right reading. I prefer the screwed in method, and plan to put two new marks on the dipstick: One for when the bike is perpendicular, and another when it is on the sidestand.

With a difference of 0.69 from the dipstick full mark to the measured oil level, I have to assume a flashing oil warning light could well indicate oil starvation under acceleration, especially if the oil level is near the lower mark, and since the pickup is towards the front of the motor. Unless someone comes up with a theory to discount this, I plan to proceed on the assumption the 3.5 liter specification is correct.

As of November 13, 2007

The picture below shows the dipstick fully screwed in with Roper plate installed.

Distances from the Roper plate are 1.12 to the full mark, 2.63 to the tip. With a change of filter and refill of four quarts, the actual level came to 0.88 below the plate along the dipstick, equivalent to 0.62 inches vertically. "

DipstickRoper.jpg

I have cut a notch in the dipstick at 0.69 inches above the original full mark for my personal 3.5 liter full mark. When changing oil and filter, I used a total of 4 US quarts (3.7854 liters, 3.33 Imperial Quarts) before installing a Roper Plate, which is slightly above the 3.5 liter mark. With a Roper plate , I have increased the refill to 4.5 US quarts, which is still safely below the plate to avoid windage.

FAQ Administrative Contact:

----------------------------------

Please feel free to contact this FAQ's administrator via Forum Private Message to submit new information or suggest corrections.

Ryland3210