Gear Box Leak

Guest jlburgess

Guest Hervé PHILIPPE

I was yesterday at the Guzzi dealer with my le Mans, and he was really embarrassed by the second broken spring in the gear box.He promise to repair very quick.

In the showroom was a brand new Le Mans ready to be sale. And you know what ? Checking the gearbox, i've seen oil leak !! yes !! a brand new in the show room, the same problem is at my opinion at a lot of Le mans, Scura, equipped with this engine.

The workman in the workshop explain that is because they use a bad sealant paste.

To repair, it is necessary to remove the engine and open the gearbox.

Do you have too a leak at your gearbox ?

Hervé PHILIPPE

As I understand it, the engine/transmission cases that were painted black had the case bolt holes painted black inside as well (probably including any seal bores too). The black paint defeated the sealing after a few heat cycles and leaks would start. Current production masks the holes so they don't get painted and that is supposed to have fixed the problem. Of course, there are a slew of black case Guzzi's out there with the potential for leaks.

Guest jlburgess

Are you guys saying the the level window is not the correct way to fill the transmission. Why would you be worried about the actual volume being put in as long as it's in the middle of the window with the bike level?

I wish the problem was that easy to fix, but I think the gasket has failed, and based on the other people w/ the same problem, I'm guessing that there's some kind of manufacturing defect in the gasket or tranny case.

OK, here it goes...

My Shop Manual and Owners Manual both state the correct amount which is .850 Liter and this is exactly what I've filled up with.

My dealer obviously filled a full bottle which could have been either one liter or this silly US quart which is still too much being .954 or something like that.

Also I do not think that dealer waited overnight until the transmission will empty as much as possible. Time is money for them and the whole oil change takes few minutes as we all know.

So, I ended up with at least one full liter or more of oil in a tranny. At least 20% overfilled. Simple.

Aaaah, the window...

Did you notice how a really minute change in a bike's angle off vertical dramatically change the oil levelin the window? This window is only good for a rough estimation of the oil quantity.

Our tranny do not like overfilling. Simple as that. Just make sure that you do not have any more then .850 l and you'll be OK.

Unless your seal is no good of course.

I have found with my V11S that if I add the required amount of gear oil, it goes to the top of the sightglass and I have to deal with weepage from the vent after hard rides. My Dealer's mechanic confirms this happens and said to fill the transmission until the oil level "just" shows in the sightglass. That cured the problem. No more weepage from the vent.

When I work on my bike, it is on a level concrete garage floor and the bike is on the factory workstand to level it.

• 2 months later...

If you consider that the sight glass (which was not in the older Guzzi motors) was a bolt hole that was used to indicate the oil was full (because it ran out when filled to that level) it would make sense that the level should be at the bottom of the site glass as opposed to filled to the middle of the glass.

Mine also leaks so I'll see what happens after refilling to the bottom of the sight glass.

SteveT

I don't buy that overfilling the trans has caused everyones leaks. I know in my case the leak is from between the mating surface of the covers towards the rear of the transmission. I also have a transmission leak coming from above the starter (and it is not the switch). My bike is at the shop getting the leaks resolved. I talked to the shop today and they put dye in the trans to see where the leaks were coming from. While on a road test the trans decided to lock up in 3rd gear. I am glad it happened at the dealer :lol: . They also said that they encountered a false neutral trying to get it out of 3rd. Funny thing is, last time I questioned the Guzzi false neutral problem, they said it was normal. Bad news is that it will be in the shop for some time. :angry: Oh well as long as they fix it!

Mike Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

With the lower oil level I still have a drip of oil right above the crossover after every ride. It appears to be the mating surface where the back plate bolts to the back of the transmission. My vent is dry so it appears it's the mating of the surfaces. Has anyone actually resolved this problem... If so, what did they do to the bike to fix it? Did they have to remove the transmission and seal the back piece properly??

Steve Thoerner

• 1 year later...
Guest jameshyde
I don't buy that overfilling the trans has caused everyones leaks.  I know in my case the leak is from between the mating surface of the covers towards the rear of the transmission.  I also have a transmission leak coming from above the starter (and it is not the switch).  My bike is at the shop getting the leaks resolved.  I talked to the shop today and they put dye in the trans to see where the leaks were coming from.  While on a road test the trans decided to lock up in 3rd gear.  I am glad it happened at the dealer :lol: .  They also said that they encountered a false neutral trying to get it out of 3rd.  Funny thing is, last time I questioned the Guzzi false neutral problem, they said it was normal.  Bad news is that it will be in the shop for some time. :angry:  Oh well as long as they fix it!

Mike Stewart

2230[/snapback]

I am new to this site, but not new to the really annoying tranny drip on the crossover. Two years ago I had the problem fixed under warranty. First they took out the tranny took it apart and resealed it. But when I got the bike back, inside of 50 miles the leak was back. The shop then put a new tranny in and that fixed it. However after a routine service a month ago the leak was again back!

I mostly ride in the city so with that toasty smoke it's like enhaling a bbq flavored cigarette at every stop light. I'll be taking the bike back to the shop so I was wondering what the prevailing wisdom was on this matter

My v11s started leaking at 6000miles from the rear of the gearbox mating surface, in under warranty and fixed within week. the dealer is not impressed with the sealant the factory uses, tells me it tends to go hard ( orange ) now resealed ( grey sealant) and 7000miles now up and still no leaks. a big thanks to Jason at motostrada shipley UK. as for gearbox level I maintain mine to the bottom of the sight glass and have had no oil leaks on my previous v11s, and this is the first leak on the present v11s ( hopefully the last <_>