RIDING ITALY

Remo

In reality the guzzi bikes of that period are all of character.

The Le Mans wanted to make the call of the track still feel and it did very well.

Too bad they did not have a following in the race because they would have been a fantastic base for winning bikes, as were the Ducati

• 2 months later...

Anyone know of any nice places to visit on the Amalfi coast (Naples, Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii)?  Spending the next week there with family for vacation.  Hoping to see some nice exotic Italian bikes and cars on the roads.  

Hi 

One of the best but there are a lot of traffic and cars, motorcycles and...other stuff. I  visit last year in may and NOT on the weekend. A wonderfull moment and many special views.

Follow the indications on this site 

https://www.trueriders.it/itinerari-moto/costiera-amalfitana/amp/

Have a nice holiday! (If you can visit Cilento coast!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, plexiform said:

Anyone know of any nice places to visit on the Amalfi coast (Naples, Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii)?  Spending the next week there with family for vacation.  Hoping to see some nice exotic Italian bikes and cars on the roads.  

Beautiful scenery. Been there last autumn. You'll see tourist coaches on the road, passing eachother with 2 inches space.
Take the boat to Positano.

BTW, I only saw three Guzzis in one week, and a lot of GS's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  We will be staying in Positano mostly.  And hoping to do a day trip to hike Mt. Vesuvius.   

• 2 weeks later...

This place is absolutely stunningly beautiful.  Unfortunately as others mentioned not a lot of cool bikes to see unless you want to see a ton of Vespa scooters and the occasional BMW GS Adventure.  The bus drivers on these tiny coastal winding cliff side roads are darn good drivers.  Literally coming within inches of each other without even flinching.  We visited mainly Positano and stayed right in the main square (Mulini Square down by the beach).  We went to Capri, Rovello, Praiano, Nochelle, Montepurtuso, Amalfi, Pompeii.  

I would have to say the most memorable thing from this vacation was to see a level of service and pride in ones work that I have not seen in the states for a long time.  Every single person provided 5 star service whether it was a baggage porter, server at a restaurant, boatman taking us into seaside caves, driver in a cab, or private driver to tour us around Pompeii and Amalfi.  No one expects to be paid tips there (but the drivers do appreciate them).  Servers in restaurants were confused when you try to leave them tips and encouraged us not to do so.  Every meal at a family restaurant came with free wine included....and it was very good wine.  It seems like a lot of the tourism businesses are family run so each family member had a vested interest in simply providing an excellent service without motivation by extra money.  From what I was told the majority of businesses on the coast are owned and operated by families who have been living there for generations so their goal is not to get rich but to maintain the lives they've always known.  And living on the coast does not look easy.  In fact it seems that everything is physically difficult.  The second most memorable thing was the pizza.  Best pizza in the world and they bring it to you fresh in less than 10 minutes from ordering.  Third most memorable....the cannolis.  I've never had such good cannolis in my life.  The food is so rich and tasty I was shocked that the average person is bone thin and very few morbidly obese people.  Seems like life on the Amalfi coast is very active.  Lots of walking and literally thousands of stairs (steep steps) all day long.  We walked literally 2000 steps to get down from the Path Of The Gods from the city of Nochelle to Praiano and my legs are still in pain from it.  And this was no escalator.  These steps looked like they were built by the gods 2k years ago.  

Spent one night in Milan before flying back to LA and Milan felt very different and a world apart from the coast.  It was beautiful to see the snow capped foothills of the Swiss Alps in the horizon from our hotel in Milan.  

Overall loved the trip but can't say I would want to ride a motorcycle there.  At least not on the coastal roads.  The congestion on the tiny roads made LA seem not so congested.  And even if the roads were not congested, you could barely get past 30mph because the twisties are so tight and has blind hairpin turns every couple hundred feet with unprotected cliffs (100's to 1000s of feet in height) out of nowhere.  Lastly the most impressive thing that comes to mind is that despite a constant barrage of tourists, they keep this place spotless.  At least Positano, and some of the other smaller towns are literally without a single piece of trash on the ground.  Amalfi was surprisingly not this way.  It seems they have garbage trucks running daily (recycling one day, paper one day, plastic the next day....and so on).  I have a new level of respect for the Italian people in this region because they have turned what at first seems like total chaos in to a very smoothly run operation.  I would recommend visiting the Amalfi Coast to anyone thinking of traveling through Italy.  But don't ride a motorcycle, just take a cab or bus.  It would be great to hear from some Italian members on the forum to see if my experience is typical or did I just luck out and meet all the nicest people on the coast?

Positano, Italy (view from the ferry ride to the island of Capri)positano.jpg

• Like 3

A nice review, thank you, very correct.
Surely the problems you pointed out are obvious, but believe me, the beauty is just traveling by bike in these areas.
Sure you'll have more problems than downtown but you'll learn a new and different way of visiting by knowing.
Intricate and lively areas like the Amalfi Coast are the most beautiful to visit by motorcycle, as well as my mountains.
Last year a Marsican bear crossed the street in the rain in October, emotions that have no equal in places that are not easy and have so much character. The same "strong and kind" of the people who live here.

rps20190501_011531.jpg

• Like 3

Here SHE is, capricious as a woman and just as beautiful ... I have to solve some problems but SHE has the potential and shows the right character.
Voltage regulator to be changed and accelerator to be fixed as first adjustments, in the week the insurance starts and I bring SHE to overhaul in MOT.

Then we start playing... seriously ...

rps20190505_093425.jpg

• Like 2