RIDING ITALY

Remo

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 6:01 PM, Remo said:

Maybe from the USA?

So ... it's not easy:

Vehicles, motor vehicles and trailers registered in a foreign country and which have already fulfilled customs formalities or those referred to in article 53, paragraph 2 of the Legislative Decree 30 August 1993, n.331, if prescribed, are allowed to circulate in Italy for the maximum duration of one year, based on the registration certificate of the State of origin.

As you can see you can circulate for a period of one year with the American bike with original plate but you must have these original documents with you:

as for you, you must have the INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE (VALID).

Apologies for the delayed comment.

I do not doubt for a moment that that last is the letter of the law, and -- never rarely a scofflaw ;) -- I played by those rules on several visits over the years from the '70's on, whether driving rented cages or motos.

In, however, my last three visits -- 2006, 2017, & 2018 -- I decided to skip the IDL issued by AAA (as I loathe that scammy "club" ... but I digress :D), and just used my valid U.S.A. DL to rent motos and autos.

In the several encounters with Italian, German, Belgian, and Dutch authorities (at roadblocks, not blue lighted for offenses! :rolleyes:) not one officer questioned my Georgia- or Virginia-issued DL.

YMMV ... and I won't bail you out. :race:

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I often wonder why on earth European countries allow Americans to drive there with nothing more than a valid licence from the USA. Though it may be an official law in Italy and other places, I've never been questioned upon renting a vehicle. I have, however, wished I'd had some frackin' driver training for local regs. Germany has some very weird road rules, and I got a ticket in Rome for passing through an intersection in a bus lane. I suppose it was marked, but hey...

33 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

I often wonder why on earth European countries allow Americans to drive there with nothing more than a valid licence from the USA. Though it may be an official law in Italy and other places, I've never been questioned upon renting a vehicle. I have, however, wished I'd had some frackin' driver training for local regs. Germany has some very weird road rules, and I got a ticket in Rome for passing through an intersection in a bus lane. I suppose it was marked, but hey...

I can rent a cage and drive in the States with just my Norwegian license. BUT they have a copy of your passport = trapped.     My milage in the States are 120000 + miles and I think they drive perty civilised over there,, ( probably changed today because of the  B c phone ), well 8 10 lanes into Dallas was more speedy I remember. When you see a 120km sign in Germany,,,,, isn't that the recomended speed  :huh2:    My favourite country for riding and.

Cheers tom.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

I can rent a cage and drive in the States with just my Norwegian license. BUT they have a copy of your passport = trapped.     My milage in the States are 120000 + miles and I think they drive perty civilised over there,, ( probably changed today because of the  B c phone ), well 8 10 lanes into Dallas was more speedy I remember. When you see a 120km sign in Germany,,,,, isn't that the recomended speed  :huh2:    My favourite country for riding and.

Cheers tom.

Maybe it's all a matter of familiarity and perspective. 

Indeed the main issue is not the license but the way of driving that is going to be faced. I drove in the States with an international driving license but the real problem was the absurd rules (for an Italian) and the presence on the road of crazy people who can afford everything.
Cars with only 3 wheels on the ground on the highway and one raised with the hydraulic system are more afraid of those who go very fast.
The repairs done with the dutch tape and not controlled by anyone, motorcycles built in the garage under the house with the help of the cousin, the good one, and the smooth wheels on too many vehicles made me think again about a world that I thought was different.
Even the insurance companies didn't seem very similar to the European ones ...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am way closer to that than you.  On the bright side, I'll lose some weight.  :oldgit::grin:

Buon nono giorno di Natale e un grande anno nuovo!

Bill

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Saturday, after a long time, I managed to finish my V750SPc and finally be able to drive it.
A very different line from when the V750SP left the factory, but after an accident I could not rebuild it with the same aesthetic and I made it "C" using pieces of at least 10 motorcycles.
Nevada, California, Benelli 125, Harley Davidson 883, V65C and others have donated pieces for it to come as you see.
I hope you like It!

rps20200127_211113.jpg

rps20200127_211231.jpg

• Like 2