Newby Question

Tomcat

Did the software for tuning that I've seen mentioned in some posts here come with these bikes originally? What is a good source for it? Now the big question, (forgive me for if its already in the forum but I couldn't find it), how do you use it? I assume you hook up a laptop to the ecu via the large connector under the seat and then run the program while the bike is running. Will someone either give me a brief outline of the procedure or post a link if the question is already out there? Last question, what are the two bullet type connectors that also come from the ecu used for?

Thanks,

Tomcat

You probably mean the PowerCommander. Do a forum search and you'll find lot's of info and endless discussions on the pros and cons.

The bullet connectors can be used as a universal 12V output; someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest frankdugo

jap is correct ,they are 12v power outlets,listed as#44-warning light connector -on the wiring diagram.that you can download from thisoldtractor.com,thanks to carl allison&greg bender.their is a guzzi factory diagnostic,also aftermarket one ,technoresearch,which can be had thru guzzitech.com and i think a new one that i saw on a recent thread here.the power commander is a throtle mapping adjustment. you cn also download a service manual from the above site.

Thanks for the info. Those sites sre in my favorites now.

Here's another rookie question;

Is there a nominal or baseline length for the synchronization rod? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if this rod is not adjusted to the correct length before you set the TPS or idle speed, the angle of the plates in each TB can be different which will make any synchronization adjustments inaccurate. In other words, you may be able to synch the intake pulses on a manometer at a given RPM, but the plates could still be at a different angle relative to each other. The turbine engines I maintian at my job, have a similar arrangement for the fuel control that is known as the 11" rod. As the name implies, this rod is adjusted to exactly 11" before any subsequent fuel control adjustments are made. Forgive me if I'm way off base with this question, but I'm not finding this information in any of the manuals I 've seen so far.

Tomcat

Is there a nominal or baseline length for the synchronization rod? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if this rod is not adjusted to the correct length before you set the TPS or idle speed, the angle of the plates in each TB can be different which will make any synchronization adjustments inaccurate. In other words, you may be able to synch the intake pulses on a manometer at a given RPM, but the plates could still be at a different angle relative to each other. The turbine engines I maintian at my job, have a similar arrangement for the fuel control that is known as the 11" rod. As the name implies, this rod is adjusted to exactly 11" before any subsequent fuel control adjustments are made. Forgive me if I'm way off base with this question, but I'm not finding this information in any of the manuals I 've seen so far.

I adjusted the rod so both sides hit the wide-open-throttle stop pegs simultaneously. Then I synched idle with bleeders. After that I found that it was in very good synch throughout the register so I didn't have to adjust the rod again. YMMV but that WOT stop ought to be a good start on almost any bike.

Not sure what you mean with synch versus angles though. The bleeder screws will have virtually no effect at, for example, 3000 rpm. So that rod is what you use to synchronize at speed. The synchronization will probably result in slightly different throttle angles to compensate for other things, but still, that's the best synch we can get, isn't it? Or would you say we should strive to set it to the exact same plate angles and then synchronize using other means?

Thanks for the info. Those sites sre in my favorites now.

Here's another rookie question;

Tomcat

I suspect there won't be a specific length spec'd for the adjustment rod. When you use the white knob of the left side to synchronize the throttle bodies, you are effectively changing the length of the rod to do it. One side is fixed and turning the screw adjusts the rod left or right changing it's length relative to the other end where it connects to the other throttle body.

Randy

Guest frankdugo

can't help with a spec length on the rod,never messed with mine.guess if you wanted to that you could pull the intake rubbers & check with a mirror that they were synced.

TC,

Use the *pinned thread* for throttle body synch. One or two of us do it a little differently, but it is an outstanding baseline procedure.

I reset my Sport every 4000-6000 miles.

Ride well, docc