Ballabio to LeMans conversion - need help

FalcoLion

I am in process of converting my Ballabio into LeMans. I got all the parts (almost all, forgot to order headlight spacers) and installation is more or less straightforward with the exception of few issues.

I know a few guys did the same conversion but I need to know how did you achieve clearance of Ballabio Bar with the fairing. As of now fairing is not on yet but main support is and it looks like I don't have any clearance. The bar hits upper ears of fairing support. What is the solution I should be looking for?

1) Do I rotate the bar toward the back and rotate levers/controls down?

2) Do I just get clip-ons? I would actually most likely go for ConvertiBars. Very nice piece of equipment. Another solution would be to get a set of Gilles Variobars. Since they only come in 53mm I would need to widen the hole to make 54mm. Anyone has suggestions on where to go to this and what it might cost?

3) Or there something else that can be done?

Another dilema I have is changing instrument cluster plate. Is there an easy solution of opening gauges so that they can be remounted in a new instrument plate?

Detailed pictures of faring and steering bar would be greatly appreciated from anyone that have already done this conversion. I also need a close-up of side pods air intakes from anyone that owns LeMans. I need to see the shape of the screw heads. It looks like my dealer sold me wrong screws though I might be wrong. Part number look right but physically they look wrong.

Also is there an aftermarket solution for LeMans mirrors or maybe anyone knows what can be crossfited from other brands?

Also if anyone that owns LeMans or anyone that did conversion can share a photo of how and where you route brake and clutch line I would highly appreciate that.

MGV11BracketandScrews.jpg

My email is VladpMisc at OptOnline.net

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Vlad

Hi FalcoLion. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I have Ballabio bars and risers on my LeMans now. I'll see if I can take some pics sometime soon. They do fit in the fairing if you roll them back just a little. I do have my forks raised through the triple clamps about 10mm which probably helps the new bars clear the fairing. I did that to help turn-in after I installed heavier fork springs last year.

I can't help you on the Instrument cluster.

From memory (sometimes shaky) I believe the screw that runs through the air scoop to the frame is a stainless steel socket head cap screw. It's head is a little shallower than standard. The screw that holds the fairing to the frame in front of the turn signal is a black round head socket screw.

Buell has LeMans fairing mirrors in both stock and extended lengths. You will only see your arms with the stockers and the wide bars so you have to get the extended mirrors. I have the extended ones, they were GREAT with the clipons, they aren't as nice with the wider bars. See here for part numbers: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...07&hl=Buell

Here's the screw that runs through the fairing scoop.

Picture034.jpg

Here's how I routed cables. I have a radial MC with dual lines so that won't help you with your brake hose.

Picture030.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Here's lock to lock pics that show how tight the controls are to the fairing. BTW, those are the extended Buell mirrors.

Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Hope this helps,

Tom

Tom M,

Thank you very much for the pics. The picture of the screw put my mind at ease cause it looks like I got the right ones. I did figured out the way parts 10 & 11 mounted but stupid Guzzi had 2 right sides though one was labeled as left :homer::huh2: . Also if anyone can be so kind and make picture of parts 12 and/13 that are mounted on the inside of a fairing closer to the engine I would really appreciate. I got both of these parts and the bags they are in are labeled correctly but the actual parts are duplicates (only good for one side). I just can't figure out if I got 2 lefts or 2 rights :homer::huh2: .

I got the dash done. Re-inserting those little rubber plugs with dashboard lights is the biggest pain in the ass. I can say that re-inserting these bulbs is a nightmare because the bulbs kept popping out :angry: .

Question about rotating the bar. I did rotate the bar but then you would have to rotate controls downward. Right side was no problem but the left side has a hole and locating pin on the inside of a switch. What did you do with that pin and/or hole? Should I just elongate the hole with a drill so that I can turn the switch a little more?

Thank you for heads up on Buell mirrors :thumbsup:

Does anyone have Ballabio and/or Scura parts fiche. I am looking for rubber grummets/spacers that go into an upper triple clamp where steering bar is incerted. One of mine is messed up so my bar sits crooked a little.

Any help will be apprciated

Say Tom, I have crashed with my Le Mans and I have the 1/2 idea to transform the Le Mans in a Ballabio bike.

Do you have a full pic of your bike?

Its actually much simpler than what I am doing. You will need front bracket holder for headlight for Ballabio, dash/gauges from Ballabio and if you want to convert to the bar insead of clip-ons LSL bar risers which will look as good as stock if not better. Everything else pretty mcuh needs to come off.

Vlad,

I can't give you pics of the head-to-fairing brackets (12 & 13) without pulling the fairing off. I think your brackets are OK as long as the hole that receives the fairing mounting screw is centered between the two holes that attach the bracket to the head. If not then you might have 2 lefts or 2 rights.

I used the locating pins for the controls on both sides and didn't elongate any holes. Remember my '02 probably has different controls than yours though. I think I'd remove the pin before I dragged the hole in an aluminum handlebar if I was going to change the control location.

Antonio,

Sorry to hear that you crashed! I hope you're OK. Will insurance cover your bike damages?

I just ran outside and snapped a few pics. Pretty lousy quality because of the direct sun but you can get a good idea of how the Ballabio bars fit. I also added Buell pegs and MG luggage rack brackets since last year. I won't mount the rack until I need it.

Picture042.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Vlad,

I can't give you pics of the head-to-fairing brackets (12 & 13) without pulling the fairing off. I think your brackets are OK as long as the hole that receives the fairing mounting screw is centered between the two holes that attach the bracket to the head. If not then you might have 2 lefts or 2 rights.

I used the locating pins for the controls on both sides and didn't elongate any holes. Remember my '02 probably has different controls than yours though. I think I'd remove the pin before I dragged the hole in an aluminum handlebar if I was going to change the control location.

Antonio,

Sorry to hear that you crashed! I hope you're OK. Will insurance cover your bike damages?

I just ran outside and snapped a few pics. Pretty lousy quality because of the direct sun but you can get a good idea of how the Ballabio bars fit. I also added Buell pegs and MG luggage rack brackets since last year. I won't mount the rack until I need it.

Tom,

where did you get those fantastic exhaust hangers?

Tom,

where did you get those fantastic exhaust hangers?

They were on the bike when I bought it. They came with the MG Ti exhaust kit that the previous owner installed.