4-Cycle Motorcycle Specific Oil

100% Synthetic 5w40 & 5w50 Ultra

Exceeds API SG/CC specs

Exceeds proposed JASO-MA M/C specific 4T specs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The newer oils have reduced phosphorus and Zinc.

The newer auto engines use roller lifters.

Our motorcycles have solid lifters that produce a lot more friction.

What they are saying is that our motorcycles need an older spec oil with largers amounts of Zinc and phosphorus...

I bought my Ballabio used and I got some Amsoil in the deal. I am about to run out and am interested in either continuing its use or an alternative. If I remember the Castrol Racing 4T in 10W40 is SG rated, I used that in my SV. I am using the Motul 5100 in the Bonneville and if I remember the bottle it is ester based. I love it in the Bonneville, it comes out the same color as when it went in. I also looked at Honda Pro 4M oil with moly, its SJ rated and JASO MB. Will the moly be enough to offset the lower zinc/phos of an SG rated oil? The reason I ask is the Honda delaer is a couple of blocks away.

Dave

Greg explained why SH and following aren't 'better' than SG (they're 'different' and I suppose better for most cars) which is why I was looking for the other post that I couldn't find.

I think it was primarily because of the reduction in phosphorous and maybe also because other additives aren't good for our motors.

If it's JUST because of the phosphorous – then clearly it's not straightforward. SG is not a solid guarantee of correct or highest phosphorous / zinc concentrations, it seems.

There must be other factors. :huh:

I guess one other way to look at the post-SG API ratings is that they have become more "specialized" (this term is used in Guzziology and it makes sense). Bottom line is what's better for cars can be much worse for motorcycles. Also when in advertising their "better" products the big companies think cars, not motorcycles--who cares about a tiny percent of the market. For now I'll stick with SG.

Greg explained why SH and following aren't 'better' than SG (they're 'different' and I suppose better for most cars) which is why I was looking for the other post that I couldn't find.
Here maybe? (and in other posts on Guzzi forums): http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=143924

Btw, I found Elf XT Tech 10-50 m/c oil, all PAO 100% synth, SG rated, for smth like $8.5/liter best price I've seen for a Euro oil of this (advertised) quality

I found some SG rated oil in a bike shop here, 10/40 semi synthetic ROCK oil in a green bottle, the owner reckons they still make it to that spec. £12.95 for 4 litres.

About Mobil I and others 100% synthetic oils in engines MG of high presentations, Lemans I 79(kits Girardoni950pistons ) Lemans III 83' and V11 Rosso 2001 in hot countries ( + 35 º C) is not acceptable. The oil escapes or evaporates. I use always mineral 20W50 of good quality Castrol, BP, etc. For the kardan 70W140 I use it for road and circuit is OK.

dscn0532cu9.jpg

I use Louis 20W-50, four litres for 18€. Changing oil every 5000km and I am happy. On the bottle is written Mineral base. Friend is working in oil producing company, no fear about what is written on the bottle. He uses this same oil for his racing days on RSV1000. Same as do all his team.

If I'd be millionare, i would by special Agip 4T super trooper racing oil which gives power nearly like Yam R1RRR. But as I am not that chosen one i will use the Louis Oil :D

Motul 5100 is SG rated. It's the "standard" oil we use in V11s.

Motorex 10-60 is SG rated. It's what we use in the Breva/Nevada 750 and all big blocks from the B1100 on.

We used to use Castrol R4 in the hydro engines. It was recently reformulated and is no longer SG. We switched to Maxima 5-40. Based on the analysis of what's in it and its awesome VI, I'm putting it in my V11 next oil change.

We also keep Redline 20-50 on hand for folks who want it.

Motorex 10-60 is SG rated. It's what we use in the Breva/Nevada 750 and all big blocks from the B1100 on.

We used to use Castrol R4 in the hydro engines. It was recently reformulated and is no longer SG. We switched to Maxima 5-40. Based on the analysis of what's in it and its awesome VI, I'm putting it in my V11 next oil change.

We also keep Redline 20-50 on hand for folks who want it.

Thanks, that is good to know that the Motul 5100 is still SG. Motul's 300V, 4100, 8100 are SL, which is pretty close to SOL :P

The Motorex usually seems too high priced, but it is good to know a good 10W60 SG is available. Not all Motorex oils are true SG. They bill many of them as being both SG and SJ which means they can't have as much ZDDP. Stick with their Power Synt and be sure to check the labels as they may change on you. Also, Motorex makes a 10W40 especially for BMW Boxers that may be suitable. I need the W50 where I live.

I swear the Repsol 4T full synthetic I use was SG <_ their is sg but sj.>

Time to switch to something else, or maybe add in some ZDDP :o I know people have scorn for additives, but I think ZDDP additives could make the newer oils work. Any opinions on a good ZDDP additive? Since I just bought 4 liters of Repsol SJ, I am going to use it. :cheese:

Most car engines do not have "flat" (parens indicate that the tappets are not really flat) tappets like a Guzzi. For these car engines, the newer oils are better in every way. They are not better in every way for your Guzzi. Which engines do you think these car-oil companies are formulating their oils for: your Guzzi or some Toyota or Honda? We (Moto I) are seeing a lot of very worn camshafts and tappets lately . . .

Greg,

Have you quizzed the owners of the bikes with worn cams as to what oil they were using? Is there a pattern?

Just been to the hein gericke shop they sell motul 5100, £26.25 for 4 litres and according to there catologue a few other sg rated oils.