Lemans riding position

Guest Jay Mack

Guest Jay Mack

I'm thinking of getting a Guzzi. I have been for a long time, but this time it's serious. I've liked the Lemans since I first saw it, but I haven't driven (ridden) one.

May I ask if anyone knows: Is the Lemans more sporting or more touring in terms of its riding position. More for handling, with the weight set over the front wheel where the action is or more for long distance, riding from sunrise to sunset?

Also, how important are the engine changes made in 2003? Hydraulic valves and whatever? Used 2002 lemanses are pretty reasonably priced right about now.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is certainly open to debate based on how "hard core" someone may consider themselves :P ...but IMHO, stock, the LeMans leans more toward the "sport" end of the spectrum becuase of it's relatively high pegs, and low clip-on style bars.

Now, that's not to say one can't ride for 100s of miles in the stock configuration, but just like any bike, the ergos will fit some people better than others depending on their physique.

And you are actually pretty lucky, since the LeMans has now been out for almost a couple years(time flies :rolleyes: ) .... there are several accessories for bar-risers, seats, bags, peg and control relocation, etc... all geared toward various tastes. A year ago, this wasn't the case :unsure:

I'd recommend just going and sitting on the bikes and seeing if you find them comfortable, and if you can get a test-ride, that would be ideal.

In regards to ergos, there is no difference in the 2002 -> 2003 bikes. In regards to other minor improvements, there are several, and if you do a quick search of the forum, you can find several threads. Honestly though, other than the engine paint issue, I wouldn't say that there is any *major* mechanical/performance advantage/improvement with the 2003 bikes(debateable I'm sure ^_^ ), and in fact in the case of the front cross-over, the 2003s may have their own issues related to these new features.

I think it will finally come down to whether you like the color-schemes and engine-finish of the 2002 versus 2003 bikes, and if you feel comfortable paying a premium for the '03 for that choice. You'll do fine with either. Although I bet you'll start finding great deals on '03 bikes too if you can stand to wait until Winter and the '04 bikes start to show up.

BTW, AFAIK the '03 V11 Sport/LeMans does not have the hydraulic lifters, which IMHO is a good thing :thumbsup:

al

Guest Jay Mack

Al;

That was a nice reply. Very thorough and informative. :bier:

I particularly like your effective use of the smilies and I will emulate you in the future. :D

Now, since I have you on the line, I'm surprised if the 2003 does not have the hydraulic lifeters, but if it doesn't, why do you believe that to be a good thing? :huh:

Overall, where I'm coming from is that I've had a lot of bikes, Japanese sportbikes and BMW touring, roadster and RSs. However I'm through with BMW. :moon: Right now, I have a VIctory cruiser :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: and a Suzuki Hayabusa, :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: both of which which I'm keeping, but they are medium distance bikes. I just have nothing for long days, long distances in the saddle, and I'm not getting another cruiser or I'd go for the MG EV Tour II in a heartbeat (if they released it in 1999 Bassa pearl :bike: ). I suppose a Yamaha FJR 1300 would suit me perfectly, but I'm not getting a other Japanese bike either, right now. It's Guzzi's turn. :mg:

...interesting that you mention owning a Hayabusa, and have considered an FJR1300....

Honestly if you are REALLY A SPORT TOURING GUY(and I'm going to get some grief for this :rolleyes: )... an outfitted Hayabusa, FJR1300, Blackbird, VFR, et al... are probably better "purpose" bikes for Sport Touring :whistle:

There is a lot of discussion on said topic at:

Sport Touring Forum

V11 Forum Thread on www.sport-touring.net

And here's an interesting one I found while searching:

V11 Forum Thread On Past FJ1100/1200 Owners

But yes, the Guzzi... V11 LeMans specifically... is a great do-all bike, and lends itself well to ST riding, sport riding, or just cruising around. Plus it's got loads of soul, and quite a bit of exclusivity... if that matters to you :)

There is a lively topic here on how we all ride the LeMans:

V11 Forum Topic/Poll on "how we ride"

There's also a topic somewhere on "why" we chose the LeMans, but I couldn't find it off-hand. But much of what is said there is in the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

Regarding the Hydraulic Lifters, coincidentally there is a current thread about 4 steps down the list at ;)

Hydraulic Lifter Thread

Take a minute to "fish around" the different sections of the forum, and the "search" function usually works pretty well once you learn to be creative :P

There is a lot of info on many of the questions you've asked already covered in depth somewhere. But that's not to say your questions aren't most welcome :thumbsup: Just a friendly suggestion :grin:

Hope that helps! :)

al

P.S. ...yessss, I realize I get a little "smiley happy" but it honestly helps keep people from getting the wrong idea sometimes. Better safe than sorry. Plus some of them are just darned funny... like this one of snot :nl:

(OH I'm only kidding, I know it's a pic of Belgium)

(...ok, ok... now I'm really kidding, I know it's an icon for Guzzi's infamous coolant leaks :doh: )

:lol:

Guest Jay Mack

Hmmm. I don't think I mentioned anything about being a sport touring guy. ;)

I think that is just a marketing term. Putting up anything on two wheels against everything else on four or sixteen wheels and zipping around is overwhelming sporting regardless of the relative position of the feet, hands and head on the vehicle. The rest is all the same. sitting betwen two wheels and going forward or stopping when the thing in front of you forces you to. The term 'sport-touring' is just something the magazines use to give themselves more catagories to write about, and has nothing to do with motorcycling, per se.

So I'm not a 'sport touring' guy. :not: A goldwing would be very sporting as would a Harley or my Vic. I just want Guzzi that's comfortable for distance and, for the sake of variety, doesn't duplicate the riding position of the bikes I already own. :huh2:

No worries, I hear ya :P

I just did the standard math on your comment

...I just have nothing for long days, long distances in the saddle, and I'm not getting another cruiser...

...which usually equals = Sport Touring :P

And I understand your point about marketing.

However, I do believe that given a task, there's often the most appropriate tool... and everything else is a compromise. Deciding on which tool and/or compromise one wants for the task at hand is a personal choice, and that's fine :thumbsup:

And having a name for that task, often makes culling and selecting the appropriate tool a bit easier... at least that's my experience.

I actually appreciate terminology like Sport Touring, etc... as it gives a common language to a base set of requirements one can easily and quickly communicate to others and especially manufacturers.

That being said, agreed.... good luck on your quest for info, and let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care! :)

al

I've never sat on a Hayabusa before so, I admit, I'm shooting from the hip here but, I would guess that the 'busa & Le Mans seating positions are fairly similar & that, the Le Mans wouldn't be any more of a "long distance" bike than the 'busa.

That's just my 2 cents.

That said, I ride 8 to 10 hour days on my Le Mans with no complaints other than the usual stiffness that comes from sitting in the saddle all day :)

Good comments, all. :thumbsup:

My V11 Sport is my "sport-tourer." But I don't do my sporting and touring at the same time. I rely on the reasonable position, good airflow management and highway stability to get me quickly to the twisty stuff without wearing me out. Then find the exceptional ground clearance, intuitive handling, fantastic brakes and responsive motor rewards my sporting experience. :bike::bike:

I'm guessing the LeMans is more comfy on the tour side and no less capable for light sporting.

Guest carlomoto

I don't know about y'all, but I find my V11 Sport leaves my neck and shoulders a little stiff after only a couple of hours.

My bike has clip-ons for handles - stock, I believe. Has anybody had good experience raising them a little?

Charles,

The clip-ons are probably all the way up already. You can rotate them back to allow a more upright postion. To rotate them back you must remove the little locator bolts under each clip-on. Be sure to retorque the pinch bolts properly.

:luigi::luigi::luigi:

OK, OK! You can't get away with much around you guys! :bier:

After putting the round Guzzi carbon cans on I never touched anything down on the right (until the day I flicked it over too hard and touched everything down on the right). And getting the preload set up helped with touching the stand down on the left.

I started cornering by hanging off more. This allows the bike less lean angle for the same speed in the same turn. Nothing extreme, just pointing the inside knee out, weighting the peg and sliding over on the seat enough to press the tank with the outside thigh ( apparently a "Pridmore" technique)... Less lean, more control, less scrape. Still practicing and wish it was second nature as it would have saved my screwed up cornering low-side.

Also, compared lots of rides used for 'sport-touring' the V11 does have good ground clearnce ( OK, probably not 'exceptional') . Yet, there's no comparison to the more dedicated sport bikes. Of course if you're riding that hot you can take the side stand off and just have your crew put it on the paddock stand when you come in. :P

I find my V11S outstanding as a sport touring bike. With the Stuchi "Bugswatter" fairing on it and my Givi hard kuggage set up, it is just right! Cruising along between 50 and 90 mph there is a just right amount of airflow to hold you up and keep pressure from your wrists. Above 90, I find myself pulling myself down into the fairing's bubble though. I do personally have alot of "sail" area. But the airflow around me is smooth and turbulance free. That little fairing is all the bike needs.

500 mile days on the bike seem just right to fill a long summer's day!

I haven't been able to do shit for touring this summer. Either working or having natural disasters kick my butt! (We are STILL without power from the hurricane! 9th day now!) But my 40 mile round trip to welding class today was nice and reminded me what a competent and enjoyable bike the V11S is!

I've always thought the new Lemans has too much fairing for it's sporty riding position. It leaves you with much weight on your wrists! You don't hear of too many V11S owners wanting to change away from the stock clip-ons, which are excellent IMHO.

But I can see advantages for folks running a superbike bar above the triple tree. Especially good around town. Glad to see a factory bike with that now!