Lemans riding position

Guest Jay Mack

I'm thinking of getting a Guzzi. I have been for a long time, but this time it's serious. I've liked the Lemans since I first saw it, but I haven't driven (ridden) one.

May I ask if anyone knows: Is the Lemans more sporting or more touring in terms of its riding position. More for handling, with the weight set over the front wheel where the action is or more for long distance, riding from sunrise to sunset?

Also, how important are the engine changes made in 2003? Hydraulic valves and whatever? Used 2002 lemanses are pretty reasonably priced right about now.

I think it boils down to how tall you are. Those with duck's disease seem to find them a stretch... I find a 1000km day easy.

JFK

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Almost 7500 views on this old thread!

I'll say it's all relative. Relative to what you're used to and willing to adjust to.

Relative to the Sport 1100, my Nero Corsa is a Cadillac.

For someone coming off a Standard or Cruiser, the LeMans seating position may take some getting used to...

• 3 months later...

To no one in particular. I am new to riding and Guzzi. I started with a Nevada 750, which my wife now rides, and I ride a California Titanium. Next step is a V11. What is the definition of a "clip on"? Why does my Titanium have a lot more vibration than the Nevada/ Why would anyone ride anything other than a Guzzi?

Fly Boy

Cessna 170B

To no one in particular. I am new to riding and Guzzi. I started with a Nevada 750, which my wife now rides, and I ride a California Titanium. Next step is a V11. What is the definition of a "clip on"? Why does my Titanium have a lot more vibration than the Nevada/ Why would anyone ride anything other than a Guzzi?

Fly Boy

Cessna 170B

In order:

"Clip ons" are called that because back in the day, when handlebars were actually a long bar [o.k. - tube!] that was attached to the top fork triple-tree, the use of individual handles that attached or "clipped" on to the fork tubes was deemed unique enough that they were named eponymously.

Your Ti-bike has much more vibration than the Nevada because your pistons are each 1.5x the size. Do the math 1.5 + 1.5 = 3. [Of course, the fact that the small blocks were engineered later & spent more time in initial development than the big blocks, were (are?) built in a different plants & production lines from the big blocks & therefore might be better balanced at the factory might have something to do with it. Is your Ti-bike a Monday or Friday, vs. a Wednesday for the Nevada? Who knows... in the end, we blame all these little idiosyncracies on this guy: :luigi: - Luigi, the Guzzi factory worker who takes long lunches where he imbibes much grappa, abhors grease, and is completely unaware of the value of a torque wrench! ;)]

There's no answer for this, since the only reason is "pure insanity!" :lol:

In order:

"Clip ons" are called that because back in the day, when handlebars were actually a long bar [o.k. - tube!] that was attached to the top fork triple-tree, the use of individual handles that attached or "clipped" on to the fork tubes was deemed unique enough that they were named eponymously.

Your Ti-bike has much more vibration than the Nevada because your pistons are each 1.5x the size. Do the math 1.5 + 1.5 = 3. [Of course, the fact that the small blocks were engineered later & spent more time in initial development than the big blocks, were (are?) built in a different plants & production lines from the big blocks & therefore might be better balanced at the factory might have something to do with it. Is your Ti-bike a Monday or Friday, vs. a Wednesday for the Nevada? Who knows... in the end, we blame all these little idiosyncracies on this guy: :luigi: - Luigi, the Guzzi factory worker who takes long lunches where he imbibes much grappa, abhors grease, and is completely unaware of the value of a torque wrench! ;)

There's no answer for this, since the only reason is "pure insanity!" :lol:

Hi Skeeve,

I love your math. 1.5 + 1.5 = 3. That's true, but subject to misinterpretation.

However, if each Nevada piston weighs "n", and each Ti piston weighs "t", the weight of both of the Ti's pistons is:

1.5n + 1.5n = 3n, but n is only half the weight of both Nevada pistons, so the total weight of the Ti's is 1.5 times the total weight of the Nevada's, all other things being equal. That's still a substantial difference. Also, its connecting rods are probably more massive as well.

Since the engineering (rather than today's manufacturing) of the big blocks is the subject of the comparison, and took place in the past, it's "were", rather than "are".

Happy Independence day!

Hi Skeeve,

I love your math. 1.5 + 1.5 = 3. That's true, but subject to misinterpretation.

However, if each Nevada piston weighs "n", and each Ti piston weighs "t", the weight of both of the Ti's pistons is:

1.5n + 1.5n = 3n, but n is only half the weight of both Nevada pistons, so the total weight of the Ti's is 1.5 times the total weight of the Nevada's, all other things being equal. That's still a substantial difference. Also, its connecting rods are probably more massive as well.

Since the engineering (rather than today's manufacturing) of the big blocks is the subject of the comparison, and took place in the past, it's "were", rather than "are".

Happy Independence day!

Nevada = 750cc

Titanium = 1100cc [yeah, I know, it's 1064, but I don't know what the actual disp. on the NV is either]

750/2 = 375

1100/2 = 550

550/375 = 1.46; the extra mass of the con rods was figured in as part of the difference, so the 1.5x was a realistic fudge. Each piston (and small end) on the Ti masses at least 1.5x the equivalent Nevada assembly, ergo, 1.5x mass in oscillation = 1.5x the vibes, times 2 pistons. It's geometric, I tells ya!

The "were/are" conundrum was due to my knowledge that in the past the small blocks were manufactured & assembled on a completely different line @ a different factory, whereas the big blocks were always made in Mandello. With the changes at Guzzi in the last dozen years, I'm unaware if the small blocks are being assembled in Mandello or are still built elsewhere. Hence "were (are?)"

Hope you had a happy 4th too! Normally, I would have preferred to go to the firing range [is there a better way to celebrate our freedom? :thumbsup:] and then caught the fireworks near where I live, but the PHBs here where I work decided we should be open on the 4th [whoever is responsible for that decision should be dragged out and hanged for being an un-patriotic SOB, but that is not likely to happen, regrettably :(] despite the expected budget shortfall for the fiscal year just begun and the fact that the past couple years of this insanity has shown that we have no customers on the 4th of July! Idiocy, but hey, getting paid to enjoy someone else's A/C isn't all bad... ;)