Preload adjuster caps for 40MM Marz forks

BrianG

Are there preload adjuster caps for 40MM Marz forks?

My 2000 V-11 Sport has plain caps and I would like adjusters to fine-tune the ride height so that I can get the sag values in the correct bracket once I have the right spring in there.

Are there preload adjuster caps for 40MM Marz forks?

My 2000 V-11 Sport has plain caps and I would like adjusters to fine-tune the ride height so that I can get the sag values in the correct bracket once I have the right spring in there.

I've never seen them. My '02 only has damping adjusters. Would be nice though...

I'd like a set too. Since they don't seem to exist I bought a 4' long piece of PVC pipe (1" ID?) and cut new spacers. I have a radial arm saw to cut the pipe but I found a tool like this made a cleaner cut if you spin the pipe while squeezing the handle.

0c85b5a7-1a28-42a9-95c4-c51c2f62d1c7_400.jpg

I'd like a set too. Since they don't seem to exist I bought a 4' long piece of PVC pipe (1" ID?) and cut new spacers. I have a radial arm saw to cut the pipe but I found a tool like this made a cleaner cut if you spin the pipe while squeezing the handle.

Remind me not to shake your hand you must have one hell of a grip

Guest ratchethack
I found a tool like this made a cleaner cut if you spin the pipe while squeezing the handle.

A CAPITAL IDEA -- now why didn't I think o' that?! :homer:

No plastic particle shower or mess to clean up. <_<

Automatically squares itself, too. ;)

Brent,

Like I said spin the pipe while squeezing the handle. I did try just squeezing with both hands without spinning and managed a cut, but that was way too much work.

Ratch,

It will square itself but you have to be careful or it can screw itself down the pipe. I cleaned up the edges with a half round file because it will leave a little burr, but not nearly as much as the saw did.

:bier:

I've never seen them. My '02 only has damping adjusters. Would be nice though...

Anything from the Aprillia side of the stock room that would work? Marzocchi have other models of forks that are internally similar aside from having preload adjusters on the fork caps?

Seems like there should be a simple solution to this conundrum... :huh2:

Guest ratchethack
Seems like there should be a simple solution to this conundrum... :huh2:

Somebody awhile back came up with the idea of replacing the blue anodized cap lock nuts with a set of 3 standard hex nuts. One locks the cap in place, the other 2 can be used to lock against each other within a few cm of remaining thread to set preload. You can get unlimited adjustability, but the range seemed too limited to me, at only a few cm (or even less, if memory serves). And once you've got the caps off and the forks blocked up, it's easy enough to cut new spacers -- especially if you've got Tom's handy dandy plastic pipe guillotine in y'er tool arsenal. . . -_-

BAA, TJM, & YMMV.

And once you've got the caps off and the forks blocked up, it's easy enough to cut new spacers -- especially if you've got Tom's handy dandy plastic pipe guillotine in y'er tool arsenal. . . -_-

Yeah, I hate the thought of PVC in the forks. Doesn't mean I haven't done it [be certain to get some steel washers to put btw the PVC and the springs, to prevent fretting of the plastic] but really wish there were a similarly inexpensive & available steel tube option...

Guest ratchethack
Yeah, I hate the thought of PVC in the forks.

Say Skeeve.

The future as we're living it today was explained to Benjamin in The Graduate in 1967. ;)

post-1212-1210861137.jpg

"I've got just one word of advice, son: PLASTICS."

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio

A nation turns its lonely eyes to you (Woo, woo, woo)

What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson

Joltin' Joe has left and gone away

(Hey, hey, hey...hey, hey, hey)

-- Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel

Say Skeeve.

The future as we're living it today was explained to Benjamin in The Graduate in 1967. ;)

PLASTICS_is_the_future.jpg

"I've got just one word of advice, son: PLASTICS."

I'm well aware. However, a properly designed bit of plastic [say Delrin or fiber-reinforced acetal? - something immune to oil w/ some sort of structural integrity] for this purpose - while undoubtedly costing more than the cheapness-has-a-quality-all-its-own PVC schedule 80 - would be infinitely preferable. Failing that, some sort of large diameter heavy wall EMT would likely be better than either, altho' somewhat more challenging to cut. But after all, most places selling such will have a chop saw & only charge a nominal amount to cut to length. Mmmm, mild steel has that yummy, won't crud up the inside of your forks feel about it! ;)

Just not a fan of PVC [ignoring the fact that you should never pipe drinking water thru this cr@p, since it'll leach carcinogenic vinyl radicals into the water up until the point it cracks with age & starts leaking all over the place... ;)]

Guest ratchethack
Just not a fan of PVC [ignoring the fact that you should never pipe drinking water thru this cr@p, since it'll leach carcinogenic vinyl radicals into the water up until the point it cracks with age & starts leaking all over the place... ;)]

I'm right with ya, Skeeve. :(

In the days of iron pipe and steel spacers we had The Yankee Clipper. B)

post-1212-1210891146.jpg

Joltin' Joe doin' wot he did best

Today we have plastic pipes, plastic spacers, and the likes o' Mike Tyson. :o

post-1212-1210891177.jpg

Iron Mike doin' wot he did best

What is the problem with going to the hardware store & buying a piece of steel pipe? They sell it at Home Depot, just get a foot or two & saw it to the desired length. :thumbsup:

Unlikely to find steel tube of the correct size at most modern ["crap"] HW stores. Steel pipe will have too much wall thickness & weigh a ton; last thing we want on our already portly bikes is more avoirdupois! ;)

Unlikely to find steel tube of the correct size at most modern ["crap"] HW stores. Steel pipe will have too much wall thickness & weigh a ton; last thing we want on our already portly bikes is more avoirdupois! ;)

With the stock spacer size of about 2 7/8" I would say you may have a point about weight....maybe. With the hyperpro springs taking up most of the that length & the new spacers being roughly 1 1/2" I wouldnt worry about the weight. As for the thickness I havent gone & actually looked into using steel but maybe I will later today just for kicks.