UK meeting 2009

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not September in Denmark. Jaap was only joking.

:rolleyes:

Roberto, is that 14th to 17th September in Mandello? How many days do you take altogether?

Say Soren, how is the weather normally in Denmark in september?

Might I opt for camping... <_>

Weather in September is always good. Guess whoose birthday it is on 20 September?? :nerd:

Well, this is getting a little confusing now. Seems like way too many can't make it in September so may I kindly suggest that we stick to BFG's plan and head for Ireland in 2009? I can arrange the 2010 rally in May in Denmark then.

Whaddaya say?

Søren

Well, this is getting a little confusing now.

:lol: It's a bit like deciding a rally rideout on a Saturday morning; who is going on what route; where? :unsure: Say no more...

Good job we're starting the process early :wacko:

Anyway, the cunning plan is to organise something where I don't have to catch a ferry.

:lol: It's a bit like deciding a rally rideout on a Saturday morning; who is going on what route; where? :unsure: Say no more...

Good job we're starting the process early :wacko:

Anyway, the cunning plan is to organise something where I don't have to catch a ferry.

You can do Denmark without a ferry if you disregard the tunnel.

The rally will be held in Jutland, the main body of Denmark, so it's just me who lives on the eastcoast who had to pay for the ferry from Germany to Denmark when I drove back from Ken Bridge.

It's a two day ride if you head for the tunnel and then drive up through France, Belgium (stay overnight), The Netherlands, Germany and then jolly Denmark. I did it and so can anybody else. I drove 3974 kms all in all (2483 miles). It's definitely NOT cheaper to skip the boat. The tunnel alone will set you back 72£ one way plus all the money you spend on petrol, hotel/camp and what have you. Recommend that you take the ferry from Newcastle to Ijmuiden and then head for Denamark (7 hour ride) or even better take the ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg, Denmark, on the westcoast and then take the 100 mile drive up to the touring camp.

You can read more about the MC Touring Camp right here

Cheers

Søren

You can do Denmark without a ferry...

It's ok. I'm just referring to the Belfast - Stranraer crossing mishaps, the past 2 years. ;)

Normally June is not possible for me, but it could be ok in 2009.

May is still good, though I would like to avoid the NW200 weekend. I don't know what date it will be next year. The end of May should be a safe time, so how about pencilling-in the weekend of

Friday 29th to Sunday 31st May 2009?

Give your feedback on May / June and that weekend in particular...

There were some comments from folk in this earlier thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=130290

Fri 29th to Sun 31st May is good for me, however for us Folks with UK Bank Hols, Mon 25th May 2009 is a bank holiday so could be useful if we arranged it the weekend before which would give us all an extra day!

How does that date co-incide with NW200 for 2009?

Hx

Not September in Denmark. Jaap was only joking.

:rolleyes:

Roberto, is that 14th to 17th September in Mandello? How many days do you take altogether?

It's my big holiday of the year so I take 3 weeks off work, (normally after having heated debates with the gaffer).

I usually fart around in the Alps for a while, then maybe Lake Maggiore for a couple of days, on to Mandello for 5-6 nights then I normally head south as far as Bologna/Parma/Modena before crossing over, on a choice of amazing roads, to the coast at Cinque Terre for a few days on the beach - then homeward.

Heavenly holidays!

Fri 29th to Sun 31st May is good for me, however for us Folks with UK Bank Hols, Mon 25th May 2009 is a bank holiday so could be useful if we arranged it the weekend before which would give us all an extra day!

How does that date co-incide with NW200 for 2009?

Hx

Yes H, the bank holiday does make sense as it would be fantastic to have the extra day. I discounted it because I thought that it could clash with other family breaks etc. However it makes the effort of going somewhere more worthwhile, as there would be two 'ride-out' tour days to see around the place and enjoy the company.

Other opinions?

I'm guessing that the NW will be the weekend previous to that.

The NW 200 might not be on, usual rumors too dangerous etc etc ohhh the thought police can they no leave us alone

I can't see it being stopped. If anything, it will be one or two of the smaller, dangerous road races that will be abandoned, or have further road/safety work done. There have been other meetings lost in recent years because they're just too dangerous. The Tandragee 100 is a likely contender for abandonment now.

As far as the North West is concerned, the thing is that Robert Dunlop's tragic accident could have happened anywhere, on any short circuit.

The date for the 2009 NW 200 will not be decided until October of this year.

• 2 months later...

Summer has now moved in the annual calendar to May, I reckon. It's certainly not in July or August anymore. :(

So Ulster Rally next May, bank holiday time,

Friday 22nd to Monday 25th May 2009?

Every now and again the bike mags feature the North Coast road. The current issue of Bike (Sept 2008) has a cover feature, 'Seven Days in Northern Ireland'. It covers part of the route that I'd do during the V.11 / Guzzi meet: coast road and Torr Head. Have a look. It also mentions the Sperrins, which was part of the wish list. The other main area that I mentioned before is 'St Patrick's Country': Strangford lough and down to Newcastle / Mourne mountains area – you could call it the south coast road.

The biggest problem is finding somewhere suitable to stay. The Slaney Inn, that I mentioned before, is apparently closing. Nothing to do with the Harley Davidson rallies I'm sure. I'll try to get out and about a bit in the next couple of weeks to see if I can spot somewhere else.

Maybe 15 to 20 people? The ones who indicated before that they're interested are:

BFG

Guzzirider

Helen

Ballabio Bertie

Baldini

Antonio (has Antonio got a bike now?)

MacHaggisGuzzi

Martin Barrett

Jaap plus loose Danish women

Gary Wambiker

Grossohc

Ferguzzi