Coil Mounting Bracket Vibrations Isolation Failure

Thunderpaugh

For my V11 Lemans, the vibration isolators for the ignition coil mounting bracket have failed. All three have sheared off the metal plates that attach it to the frame, leaving the coils and bracket and the remainder of the vibration isolators to float in the nest of hoses and wires under the tank inside the frame, and the metal plates bolted to the frame tabs. Has anyone seen this type of failure before? Can the isolators be repaired by re-adhering the metal plates to the rubber, and if so, with what adhesive? Are new isolators readily available from Guzzi dealers?

Everyone is auto parts is now stocks this two part glue that works great. We use it on occasion and it really works. Dont glue your fingers together like everybody does with krazy glue i dont know if you would get them apart with a trip to the doc. There is a few different brands they all seem to work well.

moto guzzi seems to keep parts on the shelf for long periods and when rubber parts have been shelfed for to long it tends to fail as with my 03 sport (coil braket n more) not long after i purchased it new. but once replaced i have not had any problem. ive also found vibration dampers from a 91 h.d. sportster oil tank mount are larger, stronger,cheaper and fit just right, sorry i dont have the part number with me

I bought Guzzi OEM, they were not cheap, some $20 each IIRC. If I find a cheaper alternative I'll buy a dozen.

I know nothing about this company or their mounts but they look about right and they're a lot cheaper than $20. They might work for the instrument panel too. I don't know if the Guzzi mounts are 20mm though.

01-040-0030-01.jpg

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.las...22B1EnQP3FE1553

• 5 years later...

The Touratech pieces are currently $10US each plus shipping. I found two out of the three coil mounts separated and repaired them by cleaning the metal part on a wire wheel, prepping both sides with a solvent and securing them with a high strength contact adhesive (Shoe Goo or Goop). Others have used "SuperGlue" (cyanoacrylate) , or other adhesives.

DSCN1077.JPG

Who said anything about "vibration?" :mg::grin:

I had my right coil zip-tied to the frame for more years than I can remember. No failure. I bet there are a ton of these coils (attached to the bracket) just floating under the frame in the wiring nest. I suppose that would make for excellent vibration isolation!

Yeah, yeah, docc never done anything majorly stupid to his Goozee . . . :whistle:

Well,  actually . . . . . . . . .  there was that one suspension set-up that was pretty bogus. :blink:

Not more than thousands of other things. ;)

got the tank off now (for all the usual suspects) and the rubber mounts are all fine. maybe because they were covered in sticky goo that i suspect came out of the steering damper.  which no longer leaks. do i really need this?  oh...wrong thread...