Hot weather jacket

Tom M

I was wondering what type of jacket you folks who ride in hot weather most of the year prefer? Do you like mesh, textile, or perforated leather?

I've been wearing a mesh jacket with armor when the weather gets hot for the last few years. It's very comfortable, much more than my leather jacket or my older textile jacket, but I doubt it would protect me much if I crashed. I'm doing a 60 mile mostly interstate commute on the bike a lot more often nowadays given the gas prices, and I've been thinking about my gear lately as the occasional dork on the highway decides to try and join me in my lane :blink: . Maybe I need a louder horn too...

I was wondering what type of jacket you folks who ride in hot weather most of the year prefer? Do you like mesh, textile, or perforated leather?

I've been wearing a mesh jacket with armor when the weather gets hot for the last few years. It's very comfortable, much more than my leather jacket or my older textile jacket, but I doubt it would protect me much if I crashed. I'm doing a 60 mile mostly interstate commute on the bike a lot more often nowadays given the gas prices, and I've been thinking about my gear lately as the occasional dork on the highway decides to try and join me in my lane :blink: . Maybe I need a louder horn too...

Give this a shot: http://www.motoport.com/ - I used to have a set, and it had great airflow and was supposed to be nearly as strong as leather, though I never had a getoff while wearing it.

I'm wearing a cheapo mesh jacket until I get the funds together for another set of Cycleport. I worry that if I go down in it, it's going to melt and only make any injuries I get that much worse. Beyond the jacket, I wear engineer boots, perforated leather gloves, and sometimes a pair of draggin jeans. For helmets, I have a HJC FS-10 at the moment and absolutely despise it. Not sure what I'm going to replace it with just yet, but I'm leaning towards the Roof LeMans if I can find one in the US for a reasonable price.

Weather here is mid to upper 90s, and very high humidity.

Guest ratchethack

I've been out on the Mojave and Borrego deserts many times in summer when the temps have reached 110-120F according to the local desert town weather reports. With a full suit of Vanson perforated leathers and all the armor options in place, I'm as happy as a clam -- as long as I keep moving and properly hydrated. :thumbsup:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

I'm the Imelda Marcos of the motorcycle jacket/pants world. At least 10 jackets, 5 different makes, Motoport, Belstaff, Hein Gerike, First Gear, BMW. The best by far is my BMW Savana 2. They don't make that model anymore, it's been superceded by the Santiago, again, the venting king, WITHOUT sacrificing armour protection. Second is the Motoport, good stuff, best price. Belstaff is rubbish.

Steve

I'm the Imelda Marcos of the motorcycle jacket/pants world. At least 10 jackets, 5 different makes, Motoport, Belstaff, Hein Gerike, First Gear, BMW. The best by far is my BMW Savana 2. They don't make that model anymore, it's been superceded by the Santiago, again, the venting king, WITHOUT sacrificing armour protection. Second is the Motoport, good stuff, best price. Belstaff is rubbish.

Steve

Which Motoport do you have?

I find it hard to believe the Santiago will breath better than the Motoport Kevlar Mesh Jackets.

But the Santiago may be a better Jacket because you can close up the vents, or so I assume.

Interestingly, I recall Motoport (Cycleport) rates their regular Kevlar at the same temperature comfort levels as their meshed kevlar.EDIT I checked that, and they are both rated to 120F, but the Air Mesh is claimed to be better behind fairings.

something like this is pretty common in these parts when the weather gets hot, I just wear my Icon TiMax mesh jacket with armor and hope that it'll protect me

AmericanFlagVest.gif

often unbuttoned or with a t-shirt underneath for added safety :lol:

I'm about to replace my mesh Hein Gerike after about 5 seasons. It's been great but is starting to fray around the edges. I wear a 3/4 length Rev'it textile jacket up to about 80f but switch to mesh above that. I have mesh pants that I find comfortable in hot weather as long as the speed is adequate for good air flow. At low speed I find the material rather uncomfortable.

The new mesh jackets from Tourmaster and Cortech (same company) look good and are pretty cheap.

I've been out on the Mojave and Borrego deserts many times in summer when the temps have reached 110-120F according to the local desert town weather reports. With a full suit of Vanson perforated leathers and all the armor options in place, I'm as happy as a clam -- as long as I keep moving and properly hydrated.

That's a picture alright, Ratchet. :rolleyes:

So – what do you wear when you're on a motorbike?

Just bought one of these Frank Thomas jackets that let the air flow through in preparation for our tour of Eastern Europe, where it is bound to be very hot.

7ecf_1.JPG

When I was on holiday in the USA I must admit to eventually giving in to the heat and taking off my jacket and helmet, which I know is not a good idea but it did make me ride very safely knowing I would be f*cked if I fell off!

Yes I know it was silly blah blah blah ...what if I had an accident...blah blah blah....