Steering Damper Oil

Guest jlburgess

Guest jlburgess

My steering damper is starting to show some oil residue on the end of the shaft. Is this the first sign prior to explosion? Will it oil my tire and highside me into oblivion???

Guest v11eric

Yep,

:doh:

The explosion will follow, but no highsider, the leaking oil will catch fire and burn youre bike down.

not to serious

Eric 01 V11 Lemans

:bier::sun::helmet::rolleyes::lol::D

Guest marcialc

I don't have the leaking oil problem but something related....the bike started to make some funny creaking noises when I would turn the fork. I started investigating what could be causing such an annoying noise. At first I thought that it might be the fairing rubbing on something, so I took the fairing off...no luck the squeaking was still there. :doh:

Upon further examination, I noticed that both ball bearings on the steering damper where showing signs of rust developing. :angry:

A little grease on them and the squeaking has disappeared. :D

Guest hyper

jlburgess, I have never seen a steering damper explode, when the oil level goes down a bit the damper will be ineffective and your bike could headshake. I have not rebuilt the bibuto damper but have rebuilt several other makes, if guzzi says its not rebuildable you might be able to get a industrial hydraulic repair shop in your area to source out seals. Hyper Al