Bike Stands

quazi-moto

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion number one is to mount a permanent center stand. Others would have removed it if it came as standard, it's a matter of taste.

Few jobs need more than that, but for those the Guzzi paddock stand is excellent. A cheap universal swing stand will often do fine too. I have both, because the paddock stand can't be used when removing the gearbox.

An advantage with the paddock stand (that lifts the lower bolts in the pork chops) is you can lift the front wheel with it. Actually you lift the back as usual, then jack up the sump front to raise the front wheel. Anyway you use it, it's rock stable.

Fuel cooler bought a lift from harbor freight for 3 bills and change replaced the front chalk for about 150. I use that when i work on my bike its great. Its not to heavy so u can put it on its side of storage or just to get it out of the way if space is an issue. I hate lying on the ground to work. Put a floor jack on the stand to lift the rear wheel. If i had more room in my garage i would have the same set up no doubt.

• 4 weeks later...
What's a good stand for performing maintenance work on a V11?

I bought the V11 center stand from MI.

I am hamfisted and even I could do the install.

It was absolutely essential to have this when I was in Nashville, on my way out to the National, and discovered a piece of shrapnel in my tire.

TriptoMGNOC2008NationalRally023.jpg

I grabbed it with my needle nose pliers and found this:

TriptoMGNOC2008NationalRally024.jpg

I had never plugged a tire before, but I was really glad that I had bought a kit prior to my trip and it had very good instructions.

TriptoMGNOC2008NationalRally025.jpg

TriptoMGNOC2008NationalRally026.jpg

PS: I have the shop stand too... but it ain't like you're gonna carry that thing with you on a 7-8,000 mile road trip!

That one...third wheel makes it real good...u can move the bike on the stand

I really like that one. But you've got to be careful: I have managed to drop my bike when trying to move it while on the paddock stand. For some reason it lost its seat in the stand and I found myself in an awkward position in front of the bike (I was lifting the front wheel) while it slowly went down. I hate those moments. Clutch lever was the only damage though. I don't think that wheel would have made any difference either way but it would encourage you to try moving stuff around.

I really like that one. But you've got to be careful: I have managed to drop my bike when trying to move it while on the paddock stand. For some reason it lost its seat in the stand and I found myself in an awkward position in front of the bike (I was lifting the front wheel) while it slowly went down. I hate those moments. Clutch lever was the only damage though. I don't think that wheel would have made any difference either way but it would encourage you to try moving stuff around.

Third wheel make things safer for moving the bike...only you need a wheel that is not very tall

so it doesn't increase the leaning angle to the front..and the floor should be flat

Sorry for lever but u were lucky ;)

• 3 months later...

If it's a shop stand you're looking for, that will get the bike up off the ground to a comfy level - I absolutely LOVE my Kendon stand. Folds up and stands in the corner when not in use.

I've also had my bike fall over on the factory stand for no apparent reason - I'd really be worried about moving it around on that 3rd wheel...

Hi

I use the Guzzi Shop stand. Bought it after reading conflicting reports here about it's stability. I was quite nervous the first time I ever used. That being said, I find it rock solid and even more stable than I imagined. Figured I must be doing something wrong! LOL. I know Ratchet put a caster on his handle but "bent" it first. Has anyone ever added a cater without bending the handle....would you consider it safe?

Bob

I own a factory stand. Added a third wheel without bending the handle any. I also see no way this can fall installed properly and then shaking (the bike) it to make sure it is steady.